Why do Microsoft chiefs dress so incredibly badly?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

Why on earth would these guys have to look worse than '85 Kremlin accountancy funtionaries?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Apple = Design elegance

MS = 'borrowed style'

Didn't you get the memos for the last 25 years?

• Reply 2 of 46
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    (sarcasm)

It shows that, even though they're filthy rich, they're "real" people that don't have to wear stuffy suits all the time. They're cool guys that make cool products that people love to use.

(/sarcasm)

Yeah...right.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Because it's a reflection on the design of their products.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Doxxic

Why on earth would these guys have to look worse than '85 Kremlin accountancy funtionaries?

What, in your opinion, should they be wearing, and why?
  • Reply 5 of 46
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Sammi as the defender of the capital. Thats a first

But I agree. If anything you have to tip the hat to the fact that they haven´t let the success change their style of clothing.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

They should go naked. Why? To prove how liberated they are.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    And besides as we all know you code better naked.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Apple = Design elegance

MS = 'borrowed style'

Didn't you get the memos for the last 25 years?

The difference is equal.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Though those guys are a bunch of empty suits, I wouldn't call a pair of NewBalance, some old Gap jeans and a black mock turtleneck exactly 'stylish' either... iconic maybe, but not stylish.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

Though those guys are a bunch of empty suits, I wouldn't call a pair of NewBalance, some old Gap jeans and a black mock turtleneck exactly 'stylish' either... iconic maybe, but not stylish.

When did he stop wearing Prada shoes?
  • Reply 11 of 46
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    RED ALERT!

Computer nerds do not have great individualistic fashion sense!

RED ALERT!

CALL THE PRESIDENT!
  • Reply 12 of 46
    I'd be more concerned if Bill Gates started wearing Hollister, wore that just-got-out-of-bed-tussled-hair look, and grew a soul patch under his bottom lip.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    There is a reason why "trendy nerd" only result in 261 matches on Google.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

There is a reason why "trendy nerd" only result in 261 matches on Google.

That's right, dressing badly is a fashion in the SJ and BG generation. Franckly can you imagine SJ in a costume suit ?
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Anything that isn't nothing. Make a choice. Leaders make choices! They inspire! They tell us where to go!

• Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Doxxic

Put Bill Gates in that outfit with those glasses and a stylish haircut and I'd vote for him to be POTUS.

j/k
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Who fucking cares?

I wear a similar "polo" shirt and slacks combination everyday to work (there is only one season here). There's no reason for me to look stylish, or, for that matter, at all well-manicured. So I do what's easy. I bet the same can be said for most of Microsoft.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Sammi as the defender of the capital. Thats a first

But I agree. If anything you have to tip the hat to the fact that they haven´t let the success change their style of clothing.

My point being: Who is the arbiter of the definition of "well dressed"? Why are those Microsoft people "badly dressed"? What is wrong with their clothing? If the wrong colors, then what should the correct colors be, and why? If the collar on the suit jacket is the wrong shape, the what is the correct shape, and why? And so on and so on.

Random thoughts....

Why does a defendant in court feel he should wear a formal suit and tie? Is it because he thinks that the judge will deal with him more leniently if he was dressed in that fashion? Will the judge think it is "respectful of the court" to appear in that type of garb? Are judges that shallow? The suit'n'tie thing never ceases to amaze. Gandhi was once invited to appear at some formal function (in India) and he showed up wearing his customary saddu's attire of a loincloth. He was turned away at the door because he wasn't wearing a suit and tie. He left without a word and sent his personal messenger to the function instead, bearing a gift of a suit and tie from Mr. Gandhi.

Why is the suit'n'tie considered the sole smart, or "worthy of respect" way for a man to dress? Perhaps it's just social conditoning ... I must be just as susceptible, as a guy in a smart suit does have appeal ... but as a symbol of unquestionable respect, that kinda floors me some. After all, the suit and tie is the uniform of worlds most vicious and malevolent folk; most of the world's ill are perpetrated and caused by men in suits and ties!
  • Reply 19 of 46
    I think the issue is not the fact that they're not wearing suits and ties. For me, it seems that they're trying to make a statement by NOT wearing a suit and tie:

"See, we aren't wearing suits and ties. We're laid back executives. We're just like all you people who AREN'T worth billions of dollars."

Everyday guys they are not. They shouldn't pretend to be.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    I refuse to wear white T-shirts. Thats my statement.