EDGE/GPRS PC cards support?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi!

I need an EDGE/GPRS card which would work in a Powerbook under OS X. Surprisingly (or not really) it turns out that popular brands offered by GSM operators in the country I operate in at present - Sony Ericsson, Merlin by Novatel, GlobeTrotter by Option - seem to have drivers/software only for various flavors of Microshit Windows. Is it really that bad? Am I limited to going through my cellphone over bluetooth? Or do some ways of using their cards exist that they don't know about?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    i dont know about GSM, but EVDOinfo.com may have some stuff. Apple has slowly and quietly been including drivers for all types of wireless connectivity lately. If you can wait for 10.4.3, then that might have what you want.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

i dont know about GSM, but EVDOinfo.com may have some stuff. Apple has slowly and quietly been including drivers for all types of wireless connectivity lately. If you can wait for 10.4.3, then that might have what you want.

Interesting site, thanks.

I decided to buy a GlobeTrotter by Omni, because on their website I found the information that their card supports standard AT command set for those systems they don't provide drivers for (www.option.com/products/edge_spec.shtml). This means, that should I have trouble getting it to work with OS X I can as a last resort forge some modem scripts with AT commands.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    you can use the gc89 (by sony ericsson) with a powerbook.