sites reporting nano w/ flawed screen

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
if this is true and it does turn out to a major problem, it will give wall street ample room to pound the stock.

i havent bought a nano yet.

but problems with just-out apple products are common (always happens in fact?).

early adopters who comprise the mac faithful being screwed with new products that have quality problems does not affect future sales.

screwing windows rank and file who buy an apple newly launched product that has problems will kill the major growth opporunity that could be apples.

its there for apple to lose.

either apple gets in place a better quality ensurance program, or AAPL will lose.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Back up the truck.

What sites are you talking about? Are they blogs or mainstream media? A little more background on your claims would be good, thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    its not just the screen, the whole thing scratches way too easily, I havent had mines out yet and its covered n microscratches from a pentax microfibre cloth designed for plastic.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...no_scratching/
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I swear to god, if these reports are true, someone should fucking smack Ive's upside the head.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I must be remarkably lucky then because I've had mine in my pocket with change and used it every day since I got it and the screen doesn't even have one scratch on it. In fact the unit itself doesn't, just smears from fingerprints.

Possibly they had early issues with their processes and the polycarbonate isn't to spec because this is very similar to stuff they've used on quite a number of products for quite some time.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    I looked at the nano at the apple store and even compared visibility of scratches between black and white. I think these users are being insanely picky. It's plastic, it scratches. It's not unusable. They didn't but a museum piece.

Apple should ship them all a small tube of plastic polish.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    My story:

Received mine the 7th. I carried it about in my laptop bag unprotected with only slight (read: hairline) markings. This morning I was reading about these reports and tried to wipe the nano with a cheap cotton shirt. In doing so, I added some shallow scuff marks (as opposed to sharp, single line scratches)!

I'm annoyed but so far these markings aren't visible when the screen is on.

I'm sure that if I had kept the nano in the same pocket as my keys, it would have been worse.

Verdict: Yes, easy to scratch.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I just closely examined the demo unit at Best Buy. It appears that it's fairly easy to get tiny, hairline fractures on the screen. I honestly did not notice them or think they were detrimental until the backlight turned off.

I suppose if you are always looking at your iPod nano with the backlight off, yes, it would be a problem.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Based on my experiences with my mini, I don't expect that I will have to be extra careful with the nano I'll eventually get.

Think there's a difference in the scratch-ability of the white versus black nanos? Anyone with a U2 iPod care to chime in?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Black just shows the scratches more than white.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    To the people who compain about the screen getting scratched, just about ALL of my electronic toy LCD screens have gotten scratched in the past. That is why I now use a plastic film LCD protecive cover that sticks to the LCD screen which protects it from scratches.

All of my new LCD screens on my electronic toys get protected once I open the box and take it out. I bought these LCD screen protectors at Ritz camera but they also have them at other stores.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    wierd cos the front of my zen micro doesnt have any scratches at all, where as my nano is scratch city, and they were treated in the exact same way.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    i got mine on the week it was out, and i gotta say.... the screen scratches like a mofo

i usually keep it in my pocket with my wallet (and sometimes my phone) and within a week i noticed scratches to the top plastic layer. It's barely noticable with the screen off....but when it's on... it's damn annoying

it's like some parts of the screen's colors are distorted.

If only i had refunded it wifin that 1st week......
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by ripkord

wierd cos the front of my zen micro doesnt have any scratches at all, where as my nano is scratch city, and they were treated in the exact same way.

one of my co-workers has had 4 zen micros in the last few months, he didnt say anything about scratches, but they all broke so fast that they didnt have time to scratch i guess.