Dell's "Lexus" Line

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Dell released its "Lexus" Line this week. If it seems familiar to you, it is. Their new "brand" consisted of renaming the Dimension 5100C the XPS 200, the Dimension 9100 is now XPS 400, the current XPS tower is the XPS 600, and the XPS notebook is now the XPS M170 combine that with an upgraded level of service that should have been there in the first place. Real innovative Mike.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Look like great Mac OS X86 computers.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    only because everyone and their mother has a dell.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

only because everyone and their mother has a dell.

...and their mothers, and their employers etc. etc. etc.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Seriously though, the hardware support on Dell laptops for Mac OS X is unbelievable. The volume keys work, the nub-mouse-mover thing works, the power button brings up the power options window like it does on a Powerbook, it goes to sleep when you close the lid.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Seriously though, the hardware support on Dell laptops for Mac OS X is unbelievable. The volume keys work, the nub-mouse-mover thing works, the power button brings up the power options window like it does on a Powerbook, it goes to sleep when you close the lid.

I'm sure Apple will screw it up somehow when the final version comes out.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    of course, then you have to use Dell hardware
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

So Hacked OSX on Dell runs better than Legal Windows XP?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I just get the feeling that dell hardware is being held back by windows. I think dell needs to convince apple to sell them OS X. I a far from a big Dell fan but i think that thier size could help apple.

Who knows. They are both going against MSFT and intel with BluRay vs HD-DVD.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    All x86 hardware is being held back by windows. Dual core technology would scream on OSX.

Someone should seriously get all these companies in a room together and make them take a vote on a single high definition optical disk format. If both BluRay and HD-DVD come to market its going to be a quagmire.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

All x86 hardware is being held back by windows. Dual core technology would scream on OSX.

Someone should seriously get all these companies in a room together and make them take a vote on a single high definition optical disk format. If both BluRay and HD-DVD come to market its going to be a quagmire.

yah, i do not like this disk thing. Both technologies seem fine enough but i do not want to invest in one if it will lose. Maybe then, after the room, they can all get apple to make thier stuff generic.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    I'm putting my money on Blu-Ray.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    hey don't knock it too bad. Dell xps600 can have dual-core pentium with dual 16x 7800GTX sli.

good for gamers having more options.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    The knock against the XPS 600 is Dell's proprietary motherboard.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    hmm... proprietary liquid cooling as well, if i am not mistaken...
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

hmm... proprietary liquid cooling as well, if i am not mistaken...

they don't do that proprietary RAM anymore do they?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    not sure about the ram. actually, i don't think there's liquid cooling, the pc mag review of the xps600 says six cooling fans... i think i'm mixing this up with the ALX alienware which *has* liquid cooling options...
  • Reply 17 of 21
    actually is anyone on this thread actually considering an alienware alx or dell xps or tyan dual-opteron rig? oh yeah, there are mac users considering these stuffs because, powermac g5s are going to be updated like, oh, never *sigh*
  • Reply 18 of 21

All x86 hardware is being held back by windows. Dual core technology would scream on OSX....

agreed
  • Reply 19 of 21
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

You're assuming that MacOS X 10.4 in its current form is finely grained enough to truely take advantage of dual core; the benchmarks have already shown that not to be the case with generic SMP setups.

MacOS X still has a long way to go in regards to finegrainess; considering that until recently MacOS X only had two giant locks; and although things have improved, there is still a long way to go; lets *HOPE* that Apple is going to concerntrate on making their operating system more scalable in their next release rather than adding any pointless eye candy.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    ".......rather than adding any pointless eye candy....."

hmmm... pointless eye candy? that would more likely be that other company releasing a certain longhorned operating system at the end of next year

but yeah seriously though there has definitely been alot of threading discussions going on on these boards re: mach microkernel ~~ i'd venture though that since according to some reports apple is lusting hard after intel's dualcore offerrings, they'll look at threading very carefully leading up to the macintel unveiling.

they simply cannot afford getting beat down by benchmarks running important windows or linux apps on exactly the same hardware.

the first macintel powerbook will most likely be dualcore, is my shot in the dark.