12" Powerbook not following evergy saver

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 12" Powerbook DVI running 10.3.9. It doesn't seem to want to go to sleep according to my settings in the Energy Saver control panel. It will blank the screen, but won't sleep.

Only the Energy Saver settings seem to have this problem. I can put the machine to sleep all the other ways - selecting "sleep" from the Apple menu, closing the lid, etc.

I've reset the PMU, PRAM, NVRAM, and re-installed the system, to no avail.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks in advance,

--Tom

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tlee650

I have a 12" Powerbook DVI running 10.3.9. It doesn't seem to want to go to sleep according to my settings in the Energy Saver control panel. It will blank the screen, but won't sleep.

Only the Energy Saver settings seem to have this problem. I can put the machine to sleep all the other ways - selecting "sleep" from the Apple menu, closing the lid, etc.

I've reset the PMU, PRAM, NVRAM, and re-installed the system, to no avail.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks in advance,

--Tom

The sleep timer in Energy Saver is stored in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

Drag that file onto TextEdit and see what it says for the next line under the key "System Sleep Timer".
  • Reply 2 of 6
    does it work with the power adapter plugged in or is it with both power adapter and battery power
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

The sleep timer in Energy Saver is stored in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

Drag that file onto TextEdit and see what it says for the next line under the key "System Sleep Timer".

Under AC power, it says 10, under Battery Power, it says 5.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

does it work with the power adapter plugged in or is it with both power adapter and battery power

Both, although sometimes if I boot the computer under battery power, it will automatically go to sleep after a long period (hours) of inactivity. (This happens even if I plug it in later.)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tlee650

Under AC power, it says 10, under Battery Power, it says 5.

OK try moving that file to the desktop and relaunch system preferences.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

OK try moving that file to the desktop and relaunch system preferences.

I tried to move the file to the desktop, but the system won't let me move it - it just puts a copy on the desktop. The SystemConfiguration folder is system-owned, and I don't have permissions to change it. How do I get the permissions?