MacJanu - OS X GUI for Janu

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Greetings,

some of you may remember that a few weeks ago I wrote an application called Janu which checks your public ip address and emails you if it changes. This is useful for people who have dynamic ip addresses and would like to keep track of their address so they can remotely log into their home computers via ssh or perhaps host a personal web server.

Janu is a command line utility (which has its uses) but I decided to give writing a GUI a try and so I've spent the last week hacking away at a GUI wrapper for Janu.

So now it is my greatest pleasure to announce... MacJanu

I've worked pretty hard trying to get MacJanu to look and act like an OS X application, please download it and tell me what you think.

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Well, the MacJanu 1.0 beta interface just wasnt up to scratch

Please take a look at MacJanu 1.1 beta available for download at

MacJanu.dmg or

MacJanu-1-1-beta.dmg

I added a couple of new features and cleaned up the gui considerably. Please let me know what you think.

Oh, I added a feature that might be useful for laptop owners, basically MacJanu can be set to start running on launch so you can set it as a Login Item now. Why is this useful for laptop owners ? who knows... if the laptops whereabouts is unknown, an email with an IP address from MacJanu just might help.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    This looks like cool app. I take my laptop so i don;t need it because i have my computer with me but i will definitely suggest it to some friends who actually was just looking for something similar.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

This looks like cool app. I take my laptop so i don;t need it because i have my computer with me but i will definitely suggest it to some friends who actually was just looking for something similar.

Thank you

It's useful for laptop owners too, not to be all doom and gloom but there is always the possibility your laptop could get lost or stolen. When the thief connects to the internet, MacJanu will send you an email with the IP address. Obviously it wont work if the laptop is re-imaged etc. but I think it makes a fairly good lo-jack.

For that functionality just set it up to start notifying on launch and add it to Login Items.

Thanks again !
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I like that idea. Then i could look up the ip and find it. I would have to set to to send to an account that i don 't check too often so that every-time i get online it doesn't fill my box.

Out of curiosity, how much ram/cpu does it use in the background? I am always on a tight Ram/CPU budget (in a matter of speaking)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

I like that idea. Then i could look up the ip and find it. I would have to set to to send to an account that i don 't check too often so that every-time i get online it doesn't fill my box.

Out of curiosity, how much ram/cpu does it use in the background? I am always on a tight Ram/CPU budget (in a matter of speaking)

Gmail is good for that because it will lump all the janu entries into one line.

MacJanu uses a negligible amount of CPU in the background about 0.1% on my MacMini and uses about 37mb of RAM.

I'm not sure if that's good or not but Safari takes up around 70mb of RAM.

If that's too high, there is the Janu command line utility which does the same thing from the command line, but I havn't bumped that to 1.1 yet and there have been some changes to the mail sending routine.