Regional DVDs?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I popped in a DVD into my powerbook for the first time today and it asked me if I wanted to set the region to play that DVD. So I was like, "ok", but then it said that you can only change the region 5 times, ever! What's up with this? Why can't you just switch the region whenever you want to watch a DVD from a different region? And I guess this would be a more important question, is the region switching limit based on the hardware or the os?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    its so you cant change your region code every time you buy a dvd from the far east, where piracy is more common than obesity in america.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

its so you cant change your region code every time you buy a dvd from the far east, where piracy is more common than obesity in america.

Oh, I see. Thanks ipodandimac.

Any thoughts on my second question?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    There used to be a hack to remove the region-limit.

You can always rip the DVD to your harddisk with mac the ripper, removing both the region and the copy protection.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

There used to be a hack to remove the region-limit.

You can always rip the DVD to your harddisk with mac the ripper, removing both the region and the copy protection.

Thanks for the info, New. I'll go check that out.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    How much does the region codes actually help curb piracy? And why is it such a pain in the a$$. For example I have a whole bunch of DVD's from Europe (yes, legal), so to watch those I grabbed another laptop and changed its region code to 2, with mine still set to region 1...

Summarized...it's a huge, useless pain in the ass.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I don't think its about piracy, but about getting the rich part of the world to pay more than the poor.
  • Reply 7 of 14
  • Reply 8 of 14
    IIRC, Mac the ripper was taken down. I may (and hopefully am) wrong
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

IIRC, Mac the ripper was taken down. I may (and hopefully am) wrong

just moved apparently...I googled it and found the website here: http://www.releasethedogs.com/mtr/
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Speaking of MacTheRipper, does anyone know of a good (and free) program that does the same or similar for Windows?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Speaking of MacTheRipper, does anyone know of a good (and free) program that does the same or similar for Windows?

I tend to use SmartRipper.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...martripper.cfm

I'm sure there are other programs out there that are better though.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

IIRC, Mac the ripper was taken down.

Then what's that?

Quote:

I may (and hopefully am) wrong

So it seems. Fortunately .
  • Reply 13 of 14
    You need to look for an app called DVD Region X if im not mistaken. It lets you reset the number back to 5.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Use VLC to play the DVD. It doesn't care about the region.

http://www.videolan.org/