Apple readying significant Mac mini update

Comments

• Reply 101 of 174
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Ignorance is bliss

No way. I'm glad I know. If I had bought one and found out later that others were getting a vastly improved model at the same time I got mine I would be seriously pissed off. I mean, if they were just getting more memory or something I wouldn't be happy about it but it wouldn't be a big deal.
  • Reply 102 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

This reminds me of taking little kids out to eat...

Johnny and Suzzie both order a sandwhich and medium fries. When the waiter brings the meals to the table, Suzzie sees that Jonnie got a large fries even though he ordered a medium.

Waaaa! waaaa! How come he got more?

Are you in the market for a Mac mini? Perhaps when they do the same with the PowerBooks and PowerMacs you will be singing a different tune. Otherwise you're just being hypocritical, that's all.
  • Reply 103 of 174
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Nope, I'd be mature enough to not expect more than what I ordered.
  • Reply 104 of 174
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I really think we've exhausted this subject.
  • Reply 105 of 174
    Quote:

Nope, I'd be mature enough to not expect more than what I ordered.

Wow, you must truly be without flaws. It must be nice being perfect.

Then again, maybe this is just pocket change for you. For most a computer is a large expense (yes, even a Mac mini) and is not something to be taken lightly. I find it hard to believe anyone here would not be the least bit upset discovering others were getting so much more for their money simply by luck of the draw.
  • Reply 106 of 174
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Absolutely inexcuseable?

Because it is a god given right to see the dashboard ripple effect...

More like, no other company is offering a hardware abstraction layer for such high level effects. Apple should be commended for leaving everyone in the dust in architecting this next-gen imaging API.

Oh wait, some people think it is "unexcuseable" to take advantage of pro hardware while still selling an entry level machine.

NO NO NO, we are just saying that the nvidia 5200, which is withion ~2 months of age of the 9000, which has no HAL, can do it -- and the chips are dirt cheap now because there were a glut that never sold before the hi-end -fx line price tanked...and subsequently the 6XXX was released...hell they are up to 7xxx now...apple is a full 4, yes 4 gens behind in video

2 on the pro line, and the TOP END vid card (6800 w/ 256) is a full generation behind and costs $100 more than the average 7XXX...

Too bad the PMs cant use this Not only is the chip newer, you could recover a slot!
  • Reply 107 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

NO NO NO, we are just saying that the nvidia 5200, which is withion ~2 months of age of the 9000, which has no HAL, can do it -- and the chips are dirt cheap now because there were a glut that never sold before the hi-end -fx line price tanked...and subsequently the 6XXX was released...hell they are up to 7xxx now...apple is a full 4, yes 4 gens behind in video

2 on the pro line, and the TOP END vid card (6800 w/ 256) is a full generation behind and costs $100 more than the average 7XXX...

Too bad the PMs cant use this Not only is the chip newer, you could recover a slot!

Yeah, now we're back to my whining about why Apple has been so tardy about providing the Express bus. Despite what someone else said, a full 50% - at least -of all PC's sold by the end of the year will have Express. Even Gateway (ugh), has a new line of Express machines with the BX case series starting at $649.

Other than Express, It's also up to the board companies to provide them the cards, not just Apple. Apple does it because no one other than ATI is interested. We'll just have to wait for the 1800 series and hope for the best. I don't remember if they will work with AGP or not.
  • Reply 108 of 174
    I was sort of out of the TV room, but I think this news just hit CNBC. I wonder what will happen now?
  • Reply 109 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by tak1108

I was sort of out of the TV room, but I think this news just hit CNBC. I wonder what will happen now?

What news?
  • Reply 110 of 174
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

The $hit will hit the fan? Just a guess.
  • Reply 111 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

What news?

The fact that Cnet has confirmed from Apple that they are indeed putting updated mac mini's in SOME of the boxes.
  • Reply 112 of 174
    Quote:

The fact that Cnet has confirmed from Apple that they are indeed putting updated mac mini's in SOME of the boxes.

I don't really consider the update 'significant' as stated in the thread title though. Still this is weird and could bury Apple in open-box returns of all the old models by people buying/returning them in search of the 'OMG! 1.5GHz' holy grail.
  • Reply 113 of 174
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I don't really consider the update 'significant' as stated in the thread title though.

Five minor improvements really add up to a significant overall upgrade to the mini. Nothing to sneeze at, but nothing to hop up and down for either. I'd say this beats the PowerBook upgrade of last January.
  • Reply 114 of 174
    i want an updated mac mini...!! \ damn, gotta go and get another flash teaching contract to fund it....
  • Reply 115 of 174
    Quote:

the sh*t that hit the fan will fly around on monday, then tuesday morning apple will make an official announcement and price cuts.... it's the october-december financial quarter now, so whatever apple could have done, really, for the july-sep financial quarter, has been done. now, christmas frenzy time with updated mac minis, ipod nano, new powerbooks in several weeks. just my shots in the dark.
  • Reply 116 of 174
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

...now, christmas frenzy time with updated mac minis, ipod nano, new powerbooks in several weeks. just my shots in the dark.

I'd say that's a good bet. I wonder what Apple will do when they finally announce the mini upgrade. They've got boxes out there with both old and new minis in them. Perhaps the serial number tells the truth about the contents.
  • Reply 117 of 174
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    OMFG Confirmed !!!111!!11!11

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1865183,00.asp

(excerpt)

"It's better than what some companies do frequently as inducements to buy. Dell often says it will 'double the memory' or upgrade the monitor size if you 'buy right now.' Dell at least discloses what it's doing to the customer, but with Apple, I guess sometimes the improvements are already in the box," Golden said.

See Special Report: Mac OS X in the Enterprise

Isn't at least a modicum of trust lost when a company doesn't deliver what it says it will deliver?even if the product is a better one than advertised?

"I don't necessarily see this as a 'trust' issue," Golden told eWEEK.com. "I see it as more of an Apple administrative issue. It looks as though they had lots of [computers] lying around and needed to find a way to get rid of them."
  • Reply 118 of 174
    Has anyone in the UK actually received one of these updated Mac Minis yet?

I've been holding out for about 10 days now. I've just sold by PC and want to change to a Mac. I won't be able to wait much longer, so by next weekend i'll have to buy one regardless. I cannot go another week without a computer.

Is it reasonable to expect an official announcement this coming Tuesday?

I know its only a minor update but the dual-layer superdrive would be a big bonus for me.
  • Reply 119 of 174
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    especially if you are not in the US, i would wait... 1.5ghz, 5400rpm drive 80gb and dual layer burning are all nice upgrades. for switching over from your pc, i think you want this upgraded mac mini, it will give you a really nice experience. now with the 64mb vram as well...

Tiger 10.4.2 will be buttery smooth on this machine... even at "just" 512mb ram...
  • Reply 120 of 174
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Also it's much better to shut down regularly - at start up routine checks are made on the computer making sure it's in order - I never leave my computer on for more than a few days

I really don't understand what you are talking about.