confused about high definiton

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm confused about High Def.

Basically I'm thinking about buying a new lcd display for my ibook, I would also like to play playstation3/xbox at HD quality on the display.

I was thinking about the sony MFM-HT75S

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/570418710

But I dont really need the tv option. If i buy any lcd with a 1280x720 res or higher will this display the ps3 in full hd quality? Also does anyone know what kind of connector ps3 uses for hd output and what displays are compatible?

The X Box 360 has a VGA HD AV Cable...

Website says...

Showcase stunning Xbox 360 high-definition graphics on your PC monitor or HDTV using the VGA input. Play high-quality audio with the included Stereo connection or utilize the Optical Audio port for digital sound.

Suggested retail price: $39.99

So basically what i'm asking is, do I need to get the expensive sony, or will a good quality standard lcd with vga do the trick?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    "Full" HD resolution (1080p) is 1920 x 1080. 720p (what seems to be the most used by TV stations/networks) is 1280 x 720. Personally if I were buying an HD monitor I would only buy one that supports 1080p. I would also want the HD connector (HDMI I believe?) since VGA is analog while the HD connector is digital. 1080p compatability will cost you some extra ducats though.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    on a smaller screen, say 19", would you be able to see any difference between 720p and 1080p?

Playstation 3 comes with a HDMI and I'm pretty sure HDMI is identical to DVI except smaller with integrated sound so there is no loss of quality.

There are many adaptors available...

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_adapt.html

Do you think a monitor with both dvi and vga would suit me then?

VGA for ibook and DVI for ps3
  • Reply 3 of 10
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I would say maybe DVI for both. Just get a splitter, or an extension cord so that it's easy to switch them. I would personally go for the Dell 2005FPW.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnycherry

Playstation 3 comes with a HDMI and I'm pretty sure HDMI is identical to DVI except smaller with integrated sound so there is no loss of quality.

You are fine with DVI and VGA (VGA for xbox360 because it does not have DVI, DVI for ps3) with one caviet. If the HDMI signal from the ps3 is copy protected via HDCP, then you won't be able to convert it to DVI anymore (unless you buy a $400 pirate box). There are plenty of DVI<->HDMI cables available.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    my Sony SDM-HS75P 17" has a DVI input and a VGA input. very handy, VGA input for iBook and DVI for my PC..........
  • Reply 6 of 10
    holy crap they put a mac os x screenshot on the product photo

• Reply 7 of 10
    (eh? not sure what happened here...)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

You are fine with DVI and VGA (VGA for xbox360 because it does not have DVI, DVI for ps3) with one caviet. If the HDMI signal from the ps3 is copy protected via HDCP, then you won't be able to convert it to DVI anymore (unless you buy a $400 pirate box). There are plenty of DVI<->HDMI cables available.

Most consumer display devices should support a variant of DVI that includes HDCP (DVI-D?). If that is the case then all you need is a HDMI-DVI cable, since like someone said HDMI is DVI with a new form factor and some other stuff added on. You only have to worry if your device only supports DVI-I, the DVI we're familiar with for computer devices, which as a general rule does not support HDCP. Apparently this will be a problem with Windows Vista too, as playback of some content will require trusted computing components, which includes HDCP on the video out, something that virtually no computer you can buy today supports.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    so basically the technology and the content for high def is there. but its all jacked up now because of:

-HDCP/TPM and all that foofarah,

-bluray vs hddvd, and

-possible online distribution models that everyone's too scared to implement yet.........
  • Reply 10 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Everybody wants one of these: