Sci-Fi GeekOut This Friday Night (USA)

Comments

• Reply 101 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Fellas, I beg to defer, it is most certainly not going to be "civil war". The vast majority of the fleet will side with Adama. Even Zarek's peeps would probably throw in with the Galactica against the Pegasus (as run by Cain).

The Peg could probably mop the floor with the entire Galactica led "fleet". No, a military confrontation would not work out in Galactica's favor.

The Peg's chain of command will have to be re-arranged from within. Keep in mind that Cain and her crew are a harder and more militeristic version of the Galactica in the beginning before Roslin applied her Earth mother influence to the proceedings. Just my opinion.

I say Baltar finally commits to the dark side (after seeing the condition of Pegasus' Cylon prisoner) and works with the chick in his head to call down a Cylon strike on the Pegasus while the rest of the fleet does one of their '12 hour jump maneuvers' to escape the impact.

Either that or they use a nice French bomb to 'poof the people out of existence' and take over the Pegasus.
  • Reply 102 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

This episode, according to Moore, was to be 90 minutes (which is the version the director submitted). While they did trim it to 60 minutes, the 90 minute version will be on the Season 2 DVDs ("a much richer meal" according to Moore).

You gotta love DVD! Back in the day you had to see the movie or wait many years before it was shown on TV, and that was if the movie was worth showing on TV. Next came video rentals where you had to wait a year or so before it was released for general consumption. Now, with DVD, it's like "Damn, it's already out?", but you still want to wait a month or two so you can get the "Director's Cut" which is now called the "unrated version". I believe "Desperate Housewives" has the "unrated" version so we can get the cursing and occasional chest/butt shot, but I digress.

I did not expect the season to end the way it did which tells me the writers are thinking outside the box. I expect the Pegasus to be around for at least half the next season because this "reunion" is not lovey dovey, but it is needed and will change the mood of the show.

Cain:

She lost 700+ crew members in the attack and as far as she knew the Pegasus and it's (remaining) crew is all that is left of humanity. With no home, family, replacements, etc. the only thing left to do is attack the Cylons. With the midset of "kill", the crew has lost a little of their humanity, learned to not fear the Cylons, become battle hardened, and Cain has absolute authority with only the Pegasus and crew to think of in her decisions.

Adama:

He knows there are survivors and he (Galactica) is their protection, but he did not believe in Earth so he seemed to develop the minset that they would just cruise through space until the "end", whatever that may be. He avoids the Cylons when he can, not because he is afraid of them, but because he has to protect the fleet, and everytime he runs it chips away at his purpose, which is to fight the enemy. This had the subtle affect of causing him to relax the rules and conduct of the crew and they in turn became semi-autonomous.

Predictions:

The Vipers will either start firing at each other or just about to start firing when something happens to keep a full scale dogfight from happening. Either Cylons will show up and both sides unite and wipe out the Cylons or Cain will back down. Cain will lossen up and Adama will more rigid in his command.

After the Pegasus disappears and her Vipers become part of the Galactica, Adama will be more militaristic in his approach to commanding the fleet because he will have a purpose again. He will break up cliques that formed, conduct regular patrols, attack when he can, etc. Adama will not look at the fleet as if they are running with their legs between their tails, but instead like the society they are. Each ship has a "specialty" that will be used to its fullest, and maybe convert a few to be used as manufacturing plants.
  • Reply 103 of 158
    The fact is trob, the Galactica fleet has survived on account of that "tail between legs" attitude. The Peg may change that...

suni, go start your own thread man. Oh wait, I just started it for you...
  • Reply 104 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

The fact is trob, the Galactica fleet has survived on account of that "tail between legs" attitude. The Peg may change that...

My point was not that Adama is scared and unwilling to take on the Cylons because he did take the Cylon base with the fuel and the base star that was orbiting Kobol, but emotionally, he was becoming more reactive rather than proactive in his leadership of the fleet because he had been getting hit from all sides and it was taking its toll on him:

1 - Annihilation of the colonies (no more home).

2 - finding out Cylons can pass as humans (could be anyone in any position).

3 - Starbuck (future daughter-in-law/last link to dead son) admitting to passing Adama's son when he wasn't qualified (lost two sons, one dead, the other hating him - semi-betrayal)

4 - President was trying to usurp Adama's authority (Starbuck going to Caprica on President's request - betrayal)

5 - Apollo sides with the President and turns his gun on the military (betrayal).

6 - Boomer turns out to be a Cylon and shoots Adama (betrayal, near death experience)

7 - Apollo and the President escape and a quarter of the fleet mutinies by taking off for Kobol.

Emotionally, Adama started to get his bearings straight (entered the fifth stage of grief) after Dualla said he was letting the fleet down. He reunited with his son and the President, faced his "shooter" who then saved his life, found the path to Earth, and the fleet got a renewed sense of purpose.

From a military point of view his "house" was/is not in order:

1 - The ship was in the process of being decommissioned when the Cylons attacked.

2 - Starboard flight pod is a museum so, at most, only half the amount of Vipers the Galactica could carry to defend the fleet are available.

3 - Supplies are low.

Cain, being Adama's superior and not having had to worry about civilians, will give Adama a much needed refresher course on how to run a battlestar. Protocols will be followed, teams will be created based on skills/purpose, regular patrols will be run, etc.

Since the writers are only running with the basic premise of the original series (home world destroyed and looking for a legendary planet called "Earth") it would not surprise me if we saw the destruction of the Pegasus.
  • Reply 105 of 158
    [heavy_low frequency breathing] Impressive, most impressive.[/heavy_low frequency breathing]
  • Reply 106 of 158
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Were in rerun season now. Which is good because that british chick on SG1 is fucking not as shit.
  • Reply 107 of 158
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by troberts

....... it would not surprise me if we saw the destruction of the Pegasus.....

prediction: somewhere in season3 the Pegasus will be used to slam into and thus annihlate the big badass hidden cylon thingy protected by the two base stars.
  • Reply 108 of 158
    here's the dodgy bit though: the Pegasus is a much newer battlestar with fancy new-style vipers. why didn't their systems get fracked up by the colonies- ministry- of- defence- screwed- over- by- balthar- cylon- viruses ??? hmmm....
  • Reply 109 of 158
    Because it's a cylon ship withe a cylon crew.
  • Reply 110 of 158
    Originally posted by fng

raping their own cylon prisoner

but yeah we see what they've done with the sharon clone for their "higher purposes" so... man these cylons are real mindf**kers. give me a good ol' fashioned psycobiatch like tigh's wife any day (she's NOT a cylon godsdammit)
  • Reply 111 of 158
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

That would be too big a coincidence. And there are only 12 Cylon models, remember?
  • Reply 112 of 158
    ****SPOILER WARNING DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETELY WATCHED SEASON 2****

well cain could easily be one of the 12. we've seen that all the cylon chicks are tough, sexy and hot...... (number six, boomer, journalist with aussie accent, .... cain ???
  • Reply 113 of 158
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Important question: where did we get the idea that there are only 12 cylon models?
  • Reply 114 of 158
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Important question: where did we get the idea that there are only 12 cylon models?

I believe that Baltar's Babe told him that.

Then again, Baltar could have made it up vs. having it made up for him.

Speculation is a signpost on the road to madness.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 115 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

I believe that Baltar's Babe told him that.

Then again, Baltar could have made it up vs. having it made up for him.

Speculation is a signpost on the road to madness.

V/R,

Aries 1B

ding ding ding! Soooooo....the assumption you're operating under may not be true.
  • Reply 116 of 158
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

ding ding ding! Soooooo....the assumption you're operating under may not be true.

To paraphrase G'Khar: "Nothing in this show is as it appears"

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 117 of 158
    that's why i've given up on LOST - i have no idea WTF is going on and the constant writers' fucking with my mind did me in. BSG is very brave and adventuruous but at least they are operating within a well-known genre, ie, sci-fi, but spinning it in some really interesting new directions while keeping the drama at engaging but not excessive levels. LOST is just one big senseless mindfuck IMO. not to mention it's formulaic, every week some new mystery happens at the island, which somehow ties back at the end of each episode with the flashbacks that the characters have. whatevah...
  • Reply 118 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

that's why i've given up on LOST - i have no idea WTF is going on and the constant writers' fucking with my mind did me in. BSG is very brave and adventuruous but at least they are operating within a well-known genre, ie, sci-fi, but spinning it in some really interesting new directions while keeping the drama at engaging but not excessive levels. LOST is just one big senseless mindfuck IMO. not to mention it's formulaic, every week some new mystery happens at the island, which somehow ties back at the end of each episode with the flashbacks that the characters have. whatevah...

Patience, sir. Patience. Try my Lost wiki.

And in terms of criticism: I would argue that of the two, BSG is the sprawling, plotless monstrosity.

I do not feel about Lost the way I felt about Twin Peaks?that they were writing by the seats of their pants. Give it time.
  • Reply 119 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by fng

raping their own cylon prisoner

but yeah we see what they've done with the sharon clone for their "higher purposes" so... man these cylons are real mindf**kers. give me a good ol' fashioned psycobiatch like tigh's wife any day (she's NOT a cylon godsdammit)

Did you see anyone get raped? Or did they just say they raped her? Is the blonde Cylon acting that way because she was raped or because she's acting like she was raped? They beat up that Sharon back on Caprica to sell it to Helo.
  • Reply 120 of 158
    Quote:

And in terms of criticism: I would argue that of the two, BSG is the sprawling, plotless monstrosity.

I hate comments like this. Of course it has a plot. Humans are attacked by the machines they created. In order to save humanity they have to find earth.