Cannot change default app to open .nef files

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just moved all of my photo-editing tasks to my 12" PB and cannot get my .nef photo files to open by default with Nikon Capture, as they open by default with Apple's Preview.

I have tried to change the setting for all such files via the info tab of one, but when I do so the setting does not take hold in the info tab, it goes back to open with Preview. When I change the setting for only the specific file, that change takes hold.

Is there another way I can set the default application to open .nef files, or otherwise fix this?

EDIT: I am running 10.4.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Swing

I just moved all of my photo-editing tasks to my 12" PB and cannot get my .nef photo files to open by default with Nikon Capture, as they open by default with Apple's Preview.

I have tried to change the setting for all such files via the info tab of one, but when I do so the setting does not take hold in the info tab, it goes back to open with Preview. When I change the setting for only the specific file, that change takes hold.

Is there another way I can set the default application to open .nef files, or otherwise fix this?

EDIT: I am running 10.4.2.

OK here is what you have to do to change the default app for you . nef files.

1st Find one of your .nef files.

2nd right click or hold the control key(ctrl) and click on the .nef file

3rd you now will have a menu come up on your screen where the icon is, now you need to hold the alt/option key on your keyboard

4th with the option key still held you need to now click on "Show Inspector".

5th once you have click on Show Inspector, you will get another screen, and on that screen you will see an area that says "Open With", you can now change that application to the Nikon Capture app and then after you select that applications you will click change all that is right below it.

6th once you hit the Change All button you are going to get a prompt screen saying are you sure you want to change the default application for all your .nef files.

I Hope this helps is you have any questions just ask, I will try to answer them as quickly as possible.

Good Luck

iGrant
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Better yet...

Take back control of what does what on your machine...

I use a tool called RCDefaultpp, which lets you set the default app for urls, extensions, and file types.

It's excellent, and should be included with every copy of Tiger if you ask me.

http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/
  • Reply 3 of 4
    swingswing Posts: 52member
    iGrant and SCARECROW, thanks very much. However I have tried both your suggestions and in both instances my attempt to set the default app to Nikon Capture does not take; in other words, after I select Capture in the drop down menu that menu goes back to Preview when I release the mouse button.

I know both of your suggestions should have worked, but there is something goofy going on. FWIW I have repaired my startup disk authorizations/permissions.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    swingswing Posts: 52member
    OnyX fixed this for me.

After trying everything I can think of, as well as the suggestions menioned above, I finally found the following at MacOSXHints:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...43452#comments

So I tried eveything suggested in that link and the only thing that worked was to use OnyX. I cleared caches and repaired application links (or something like that) and now I am able to set all of my .nef files to open with Nikon Capture.

Hope this helps someone with a similar problem.