PC games wish list for OS X.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Blame this new post on suni. You guys know how he?s always trying to derail threads?

<totally off topic rant>

just finished Half Life 2 yesterday. stunning. absolutely brilliant. unlike doom3, they actually leveraged their new engine for some fantastic gameplay elements that fit in well into the storyline. just wait till the "Our Benefactors" level. won't spoil it for you, but it really takes you on a journey storywise, designwise, gameplay-wise...

and the way the striders actually destroying building geometry is truly jaw-droppingly surprising...

doom3 i felt was just, okay, brand new engine, same ol' gameplay. i didn't play much past first few levels.

</totally off topic rant>

OK then, which PC games would you like (WISH?) for OS X?

My choices are in order of want;

1-\tHalfLife 2

2-\tFarCry

3-\tSilent Hill 3 (controls suck, yet it?s still a good creepy game.)

4-\tHalo CE (still a great MP)

5-\tWarhammer 40,000: Dawn of War

I did not include Quake 4 or F.E.A.R. as they are not out yet. Yes, there?s a definite trend in the types of games I enjoy. On to the serious discussion?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    Although it is not out yet, I want to see Age of Empires 3. That is looking like it will be a great game. I'm not positive they aren't making a version for Mac, but I don't think they are.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    i would like to see everygame automatically. I am not a gamer at all but i do like some sim games. Being a student i am poor and those cheap games look so enticing. Maybe i will have my way with mactels
  • Reply 3 of 52
    Baldurs Gate 3! Even though we probably wont see it... *Wah wah*

But uhmm... Half Life 2... Blood Bowl... Cant really think of others right now.. WH40k wasnt really THAT good...
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Quote:

WH40k wasnt really THAT good...

yeah, so...
  • Reply 5 of 52
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Might as well say F.E.A.R. because it suppose to be out next month. Been playing the first level and it does have a great A.I.

IL2/Pacific Fighters............What could be better then flying around in your favorite WW2 Plane (P40) hunting down bad guys. Very realistic and looks best in OpenGl!

HL2............Do I need to say anything?

FarCry........ Islands,beautiful beaches and water that looks very real, I love the Gun boat.

These are 4 games the Mac really needs.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    - FarCry

- Silent Storm

- Alpha Centauri

- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

- Silent Hunter III

That would be a pretty good start. I'd say Half-Life 2, but I would never buy that anyway, unless they release an official patch that guarantees the game works when Valve's servers no longer exist or are unavailable.

There are lots more console games I'd like to play than there are PC games.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    CIV3 PTW

CIV4

Halo 2
  • Reply 8 of 52
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    1. Half Life 2 (and Counter Strike) and all the other mods/online engines of HL

2. Need For Speed (the lates ones)

3. GTA (San A. and above)

4. Sims

5. Halo II
  • Reply 9 of 52
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    I admit that Halo 2 and Resident Evil have ALMOST made me consider buying an XBox or PS 2. Almost. I'm just so use to kb+mouse control that I find console controls to be very frustrating. Probably because I now fit into the "can't teach an old dog new tricks..." syndrome.\

As it is, I limit my game time so I can interact with the "real" world.

I would be lying if I didn't tell you guys that I get big kick out of being accused of cheating or hacking when I'm online sometimes and I'm on a "killing" roll... If they only knew they were being whacked by an old fart...
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

I admit that Halo 2 and Resident Evil have ALMOST made me consider buying an XBox or PS 2. Almost. I'm just so use to kb+mouse control that I find console controls to be very frustrating. Probably because I now fit into the "can't teach an old dog new tricks..." syndrome.\

No, it's because you like FPS games and the standard console controller will never be as accurate for that.
    Quote:

I would be lying if I didn't tell you guys that I get big kick out of being accused of cheating or hacking when I'm online sometimes and I'm on a "killing" roll... If they only knew they were being whacked by an old fart...

Haha. I never developed the reflexes to be a very good player overall, but have occasionally gotten bitched at in Counterstrike. I got reasonably good at using hostages as cover when they were still movable (read: opposing team in their trigger-happiness usually shot the whole lot before getting to me), got some lucky streaks with various weapons, and used intuition and security cameras to shoot through walls, prompting the ever popular "U wallhax!!11!!".

I still think they messed up when they made hostages immovable, it makes for a less tactical game and more kiddie deathmatch.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    BF2.

Very fun game.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    How about Serious Sam...anyone???
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by alexluft

How about Serious Sam...anyone???

I got to admit that was fun to play through once. Not much replay value, though.

I'd much rather see ports of Max Payne and its sequel. If you can get your hands on it, do yourself a favor and play it. Took me 21 hours to play through the first one, it had good mood and really sucked me in the plot till the end. I haven't played 2.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

and the way the striders actually destroying building geometry is truly jaw-droppingly surprising...

Hint: they don't. It's scripted. It happens the exact same way every time. That's not the Strider's decision; it's a completely scripted part of the game.

I must say that while HL2 was good, it was too linear and scripted for my personal taste. It gets tedious rehearsing your progress through a level, having to think of it as "what the game designers want me to do now" instead of "how should I tackle this situation".

Hopefully HL2:Aftermath will have some nice, wide-open fights.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

BF2.

Very fun game.

Yes. And somebody said Farcry/FEAR; those as well.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    huh? why am i suddenly the scapegoat
  • Reply 17 of 52
    FarCry is junk... I really don't see what the big deal is.

I am afraid FEAR may be overrated....

HalfLife2 and EVERYTHING to do with the source engine, counterstrike source, etc.. etc... MOST DEFINITELY. HL2 is AWESOME.

need for speed underground 2

need for speed most wanted

UT2004... that's already on mac

hmmmmm

that's all to me that's been really worth it.

OH--> Dawn of War and expansion pack (warhammer40k universe) - *quality* RTS in the post command-and-conquer era.

colin mcrae rally 05 ? is that on mac yet?

hmmmmm

well, so far that's it. oh i hear BF2 rocks

black hawk down ~ nah, not worth it....
  • Reply 18 of 52
    oh star wars knights of the old republic 1 and 2 should come as a nice double-pack for the mac. no. 2 is somewhat buggy on the PC, but hopefully whoever does the port can clean up everything to make it a tight star wars rpg experience...

i'm not into rpg, things are too confusing with all the different spells and weapons and races and stuff. at least with star wars its all familiar : magic = force, weapons = blasters or lightsabers. races = humans, familiar aliens from the movies and stuff. a good smattering of droids thrown in.

...nice graphic engine on star wars knights of old republic 2.

so to summarize my top 5 would be

NOW FOR THE MAC: powerpc g5 nVidia 6800GT required

1. Valve Platinum Pack: Half Life 2 + Much More

2. Star Wars: Knights of Old Republic 1 & 2

3. Need for Speed Underground 2

4. Need for Speed Most Wanted

5. Warhammer40k Dawn of War + Expansion Pack
  • Reply 19 of 52
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Wow suni, you didn't like FarCry?! You can roam at will and approach targets from different angles. I can't think of another FPS that allows that much freedom.

Granted, on difficult game settings the snipers can spot you through cover. Trigens become annoying very quickly. SAVE function can be irksome... Still, pretty good stuff that Mac (who are lucky enough to own a G5 tower with a high end video card...) players are missing out on.

Oh yeah, the BF2 demo looks pretty cool. Except for the fact that so many players could go against each online, I wasn't wild about BF1.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    i think at the end of the day its the aesthetics of the engine that pissed me off. everyone was like, oh, this engine will push the limits of your card, you gotta get into it, etc, etc.

IMO half life 2's source blows far cry right out of the water. the foliage and stuff just does not look appealing. also the level designers have done some very dirty texturing... if you look at cliff faces, lets say you have a steep cliff face made up of 1 polygon, notice the texture is stretched out real bad, like they didn't use a bigger texture for that larger polygon.

in HL2 and star wars: knights of old republic 2 when they did terrain stuff they paid more attention to detail in the texturing and foliage and stuff and so created a richer, more realistic and immersive environment.... an engine that's not just a benchmarking tool but an actual great gaming experience.

yeah HL2 you know you're being closely guided by the game designers watching over you but the scripting gives things a cinematic pace to the whole thing, and in each chapter you can go back and play things differently given the physics, setting up of turrets, moving barrels around, or using those oxygen tanks in ravenholm, 1 per headcrabdude instead of just blowing up the whole shed with all the oxygen tanks...

but of course, i'm biased, i think somehow i'm not into the single player commando/ police/ military-simulation type stuff...