Surge Protector or UPS?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What do you have for your computer?

If you choose "Other", explain what it is and why you use it.

I use a surge protector for everything. None of them cost more than $15 and they were all acquired from Target or Office Depot.

Am I being foolish? Is there a real difference protection-wise between an $80 Monster surge protector and an $8 Belkin surge protector?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

What do you have for your computer?

If you choose "Other", explain what it is and why you use it.

I use a surge protector for everything. None of them cost more than $15 and they were all acquired from Target or Office Depot.

Am I being foolish? Is there a real difference protection-wise between an $80 Monster surge protector and an $8 Belkin surge protector?

If you have a laptop, then it is doesn;t matter because the laptop acts as its own UPS for power under and the surge will fix over power.

If you have a desktop, GET A UPS. I could be wrong about it on a mac but my old dell, i lost some HDs because they got messed up from power drops. I am not saying from suddenly losing power. Rather, when the AC or central vac kicks on, the power dips for a second.

I now have a really powerful UPS because i had it for me dell. What is cool is that my cable modem and router are also on a UPS (any electronics are at my house for the power dip thing) so i can still be on the internet assuming cable never goes out.

Oh, The other cool thing about UPSes is when your friends are doing important work on your computer, you go over to the wall and watch them freakout as you threaten to pull the plug. The pull it and let them see what happens.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I've got a APC BR-1500 + BR24BP battery pack.

Pretty spendy, but worth it so far.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I chose "Other".

I have a proper electrical grid that doesn´t drop.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    How about both...especially since a surge protector is relatively cheap. Also, aren't there UPS that have surge protection built in?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    My cool UPS story:

My high school was the kind you live in, so all us students had rooms on the school premises.

One night there was a storm, some lightning, and then the power was cut for an hour or so.

What did I do? I opened my door, connected my computer speakers on UPS power, and instructed my still running computer to fill the silent, contemplative darkness with bad pop music.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    UPS. APC. Period. I have a big Smart-UPS 1400 for my computer, a small 500 for my router/cable modem (when the electricity goes out, cable still works!!!), and a have a surge protector with the build-in battery for when I'm taking pictures (that way I can increase the life of my lights). Very seldom I have dealt with dead-battery UPSes but I've seen them where I used to work. APC makes really easy to exchange old UPS for newer versions. Check eBay - kick-ass deals. Lastly, I love APC - they really make great products.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Amen to that!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

I chose "Other".

Yeah, but that still doesn't protect from the drunken asshat who runs off the road and creams the aboveground transformer for the neighborhood underground powerlines.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

I chose "Other".

well, it isn;t the grid so much. It was when we renevated, the house got a LOT bigger and to upgrade the line going to our house woul dhave been about 25 grand. So, we invested in some UPSes and when the AC goes on, it dips for half-a-second at most.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

Yeah, but that still doesn't protect from the drunken asshat who runs off the road and creams the aboveground transformer for the neighborhood underground powerlines.

A very silly design. Not had a powercut ever in this house (7 years). All the wires are underground and the local transformer is well fenced off in-front someone's house.

Hence I only use surge protectors.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Forgot to say that I voted "surge protector". That's what I have now; UPS went old. I only bought one for curiousity and I doubt I'll buy one again unless there are outages more than once a year.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keot

A very silly design. Not had a powercut ever in this house (7 years). All the wires are underground and the local transformer is well fenced off in-front someone's house.

Hence I only use surge protectors.

You haven't seen what drunken asshats in SUVs can drive through! Clean through a 6" maple tree, wipe out transformer and kill the 8" maple on the other side. Fences, meh!

UPS == no loss of thesis, didn't even realize the power was out because he room was already darkened.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    I go the surge protectors ( safety cut off switch) Hey there's lost data but nothing more painful than fried g5. Also been thinking of a electrical line filter.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I voted other... since you can only chose one. Laptops get surge surpessors and the desktops get the UPS's. We live out in the country and get power outages all the time. Some outages last several days so our next unit will be BPS 8000 . That will keep us going without a generator running.

reg
  • Reply 15 of 16
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Where do you people live?

Never had a power outage at home.

The only time I can remember having power outages was while on vacation during war.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

I voted other... since you can only chose one. Laptops get surge surpessors and the desktops get the UPS's. We live out in the country and get power outages all the time. Some outages last several days so our next unit will be BPS 8000 . That will keep us going without a generator running.

reg

Some of the big UPS's I've seen cost more than Isuzu diesel generators. There's also the solar panel thing, and if you're up to it, you can rig up a DC-DC converter that will eliminate the need for an inverter.