The very last PM update?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Do you all think that the new dual core chips that are out will be the last PM update that Apple will do for desktops, before putting in Intels?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

Do you all think that the new dual core chips that are out will be the last PM update that Apple will do for desktops, before putting in Intels?

I doubt it, Steve said the Powermacs would be the last to make the Intel transition and that would be in the 2007 time frame. Likely we will get up to 18 months of updates with PowerPC , prolly with dual core as you mentioned.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CheapFrag

I doubt it, Steve said the Powermacs would be the last to make the Intel transition and that would be in the 2007 time frame.

Though I believed myself too that it was him that said it, I could not find any supporting evidence. Said it or not does not matter. I just believe that we will see two PowerPC Power Macs before the first Intel Power Mac. The first of them should go into the market before this year's end. The second and final somewhere in the middle or autumn of next year.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Steve said the Powermacs would be the last to make the Intel transition

Here we go again! Steve never said that! Nor has Apple said publicly what computers would be first to transition to Intel.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Here we go again! Steve never said that! Nor has Apple said publicly what computers would be first to transition to Intel.

Repeated for emphasis.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I wouldn't be suprised to see the PowerMac stay in Apple's catalog well into 2008 or even 09. During that period, it may recieve whatever upgrades IBM has available (which probably won't be that many).
  • Reply 6 of 21
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IntlHarvester

I wouldn't be suprised to see the PowerMac stay in Apple's catalog well into 2008 or even 09. During that period, it may recieve whatever upgrades IBM has available (which probably won't be that many).

Agree. They may introduce new Intel desktops and leave the PowerMac in the line-up as-is for a year or two, like they did with the G3 iMac. No reason they can't offer both. I'd expect the Intel machines to come in far less expensive cases.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Steve said that the transition would be complete by the end of 2007.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    If you look at PowerMac its clear its G5 has been stagnated hence the liquid cooling to bump up those speeds. I would guess 1 more PPC Powermac before Intel based PowerMacs. Face it folks G5 and G4 are frozen and what benefit does a dual core G5 running at 2.5 vs 2 single G5s running at 2.5 ? not much except production cost for Apple. My next Mac will be Intel but until then ill just make do with this Alienware Athlon64 3500+ 6800GT When the PowerMac Intels come out its for sale
  • Reply 9 of 21
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Quote:

Yes.

They'll be updated with the 970mp sometime in the next 6 months. That Power Mac revision cycle will last from 8 to 12 months. After that, Power Macs will have Conroe and or Woodcrest chips inside them.

Maybe IBM will develop a 65nm 970mx, but I really don't see a reason for them to do so and for Apple to pay the price for it.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

...what benefit does a dual core G5 running at 2.5 vs 2 single G5s running at 2.5 ?

But it wouldn't be a dual core G5, more like 2 dual core G5s...

Which would make a difference...!

;^p
  • Reply 11 of 21
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

They'll be updated with the 970mp sometime in the next 6 months. That Power Mac revision cycle will last from 8 to 12 months. After that, Power Macs will have Conroe and or Woodcrest chips inside them.

If Apple can come up with dual dual-core G5 (up to 2.5GHz) around january (MWSF'06), I believe that this line can hold a year or so before being updated with Woodcrest also dual dual-core (up to 3.xGHz) early 2007. I think that the Conroe chips will go in iMacs only as they don't support dual processors architecture.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Did you watch the keynote??? I did. Steve said the transition would begin in early 2006 with the consumer line (which is one of three: imac or emac or ibook) and be complete some indefinite time in 2007. He also said the LAST pieces to transition would be the PROFESSIONAL line of products (one of two: powerbook or powermac). He also said there was tons of life left in the current Powermac line. Those waiting for intel powermacs in 2006 may be sorely disappointed (intel doesnt seem to be ready with a low-power high-performance chip). Rosetta is useless for most of the pro apps because it does not emulate Altivec code so you need new binaries for those. Altivec code will be the most difficult code to port to SSE3 or whatever. It will be the code least optimized by "flipping the switch" on X-code.

Please check your facts (at least pick the low hanging fruit and watch the keynote).

my new powermac rocks!
  • Reply 13 of 21
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Does anyone know if Apple will be using Core tchnology with th Intel hardware since it is a handy bit of tech when it come to grafx processing etc. taking some of the brunt off the main proc and all..
  • Reply 14 of 21
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Did you watch the keynote??? I did. Steve said the transition would begin in early 2006 with the consumer line (which is one of three: imac or emac or ibook) and be complete some indefinite time in 2007. He also said the LAST pieces to transition would be the PROFESSIONAL line of products (one of two: powerbook or powermac). He also said there was tons of life left in the current Powermac line.

Please check your facts (at least pick the low hanging fruit and watch the keynote).

my new powermac rocks!

I'm sorry, but your memory of the keynote is flawed. Steve said there would be Intel Macs in the market by June '06. He made no statements that were more specific than that. He said they have some great PowerPC products coming and there is lots of life in the PowerPC, not the current PowerMac line specifically.

That being said, I think it'll be consumer first and pro second, however that's just my opinion as Steve said no such thing.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Did you watch the keynote??? I did. Steve said the transition would begin in early 2006 with the consumer line (which is one of three: imac or emac or ibook) and be complete some indefinite time in 2007. He also said the LAST pieces to transition would be the PROFESSIONAL line of products (one of two: powerbook or powermac). He also said there was tons of life left in the current Powermac line. Those waiting for intel powermacs in 2006 may be sorely disappointed (intel doesnt seem to be ready with a low-power high-performance chip). Rosetta is useless for most of the pro apps because it does not emulate Altivec code so you need new binaries for those. Altivec code will be the most difficult code to port to SSE3 or whatever. It will be the code least optimized by "flipping the switch" on X-code.

my new powermac rocks!

When you find those statements give me the time code please, so I can see for myself.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Did you watch the keynote??? I did. Steve said the transition would begin in early 2006 with the consumer line (which is one of three: imac or emac or ibook) and be complete some indefinite time in 2007. He also said the LAST pieces to transition would be the PROFESSIONAL line of products (one of two: powerbook or powermac). He also said there was tons of life left in the current Powermac line.

That's more or less what I too thought that he said (I was sure). Then, I watched again the keynote and, surprise, no such statements. So, either we two imagine things, or the guys at Apple edited the keynote file since Steve cannot keep his mouth shut. You are free to pick whatever you like. But as of now, there is zero evidence that S. Jobs said that.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Maybe IBM will develop a 65nm 970mx, but I really don't see a reason for them to do so and for Apple to pay the price for it.

Contract..., maybe? I don't remember well, but I think that the Apple-IBM contract terminates in the end of 2007. If so, and if IBM has advanced the developement of the next PPC970 generation, then it is in their interest to sell it to Apple. I know, too many "IF"s .
  • Reply 18 of 21
    for those who want specificity on apple/intel transition dates, see

first paragraph of:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html

also, the terms of the apple/ibm "custom sales agreement" (i.e. contract,

expiring october 27. 2007) are all very public, as it

appears in the apple fiscal year 2003 10K filed at the SEC, attached to:

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/...4052&Type=HTML

as: section 10.B.18\t

\t

Custom Sales Agreement effective October 21, 2002 between the Registrant and International Business Machines Corporation.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Does anyone know if Apple will be using Core tchnology with th Intel hardware since it is a handy bit of tech when it come to grafx processing etc. taking some of the brunt off the main proc and all..

Yes, Core Whatever works on both platforms (the GPUs are the same, after all).
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by retiarius

also, the terms of the apple/ibm "custom sales agreement" (i.e. contract,

expiring october 27. 2007) are all very public,

Hmmm, what are the consequences of this for hardware repairs in the future? Will the chips be available? If I buy a new PM (should there ever be another PPC model..), and it dies after 10/27/07, am I out of luck?