I'm Having a Baby... Now

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Honestly, at this very moment in time my wife is sat on the bed across from me moaning in pain.

She thinks i'm mailing the family.

After 11 hours (and counting) It's not going very quickly.

Any tips (for me or her)

j.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Not to sound insensitive, but what the helll are you doing on a computer??? (übergeek) Turn around...

Oh, and congrats too. 11 hours... OUCH! That's gotta suck!

Got a name? Boy/Girl? Details, details. (But not pics. I get queasy) 8)
  • Reply 2 of 27
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    There can be a lot of down time with the baby delivery. My wife just had a baby but this one came too soon to survive.

We do have one healthy natural birth.

Tips:

Hot shower. Warm water on the uterus helps ease the pain of contractions.

Walk around. Walking around helps move the hips and gives the baby some motion to "drop"

Food & water. Blah blah blah don't eat because you could be in surgery. Your wife is running a marathon with her contractions. She needs nourishment and hydration. A lot of mouth breathing will dry her up.

Avoid drugs. Drugs that immobilize mothers can lengthen labor. After delivery, if she avoided drugs, it will make her recover faster. My wife started labor at 5am, started "pushing" at 6pm and delivered at 10pm. Drug free. After that she jumped in the shower a 1am and looked ready to go in the morning.

Don't you know all this stuff? Little late to ask.

Call your doula. You did retain a doula, right? If you had you wouldn't be posting looking for advice.

Different labor positions. Works just like walking. Squat, hands and knees, what ever feels best.

Stimulate the nipples. I'm not kidding it's supposed to work.

Positive mental images. Lot's of moral support.

Follow your birth plan. You do have a birth plan right?

Get the baby to the breast asap. They know what to do. The human body is a natural warming blanket for babies. Steady breathing of mom will help the baby adjust to the cruel cruel world.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, this has gotta be a first: an internet message board birth. good luck to you both, and the little one to come...

• Reply 4 of 27
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Dont let your fingers get anywhere near her mouth. My wife bit me during a contraction once, and drew blood.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Hey, good luck on the delivery, man. Thanks for sharing that here, too.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

Stimulate the nipples. I'm not kidding it's supposed to work.

Why is it the only thing that comes to mind is: "Not now honey, I'm giving birth." It reminds me of a MadTV sketch many, many years ago.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    I think, I think I'm gonna pass out...
  • Reply 8 of 27
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    what are you going to name the little one?

lemme guess: "CONFIRMED!"
  • Reply 9 of 27
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    We didn't have a name until about 8 or 9pm.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    regreg Posts: 832member
    My wife was in labor for 24 hours for our first. She reminds me that I fell asleep several times. Of course my responce was that they should not put such comfortable chairs in there. Our second was 25 minutes after arriving at the hospital. She had pictures out on the web within the hour.

If this is your first, sit back and relax now because your life is about to change big time.

reg
  • Reply 11 of 27
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    thanks guys

i'm still here, no baby yet, typing on a crazy rubberised keyboard (wipe cleanable i am told)

thanks for the tips

i will keep you all posted

18.5 hours and still waiting

j.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    26 hrs and still waiting

j.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Dont let your fingers get anywhere near her mouth. My wife bit me during a contraction once, and drew blood.

Mine too.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    If she is under stress or if you have any other kids or relatives there, or if she is afraid, you need to run interference.

Also, someone needs to be monitoring the baby's heart tones.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    It's always a good idea to repair permissions once she's downloaded.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    You *are* naming her Lisa right?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Let's save the banter until the baby is delivered and the wife is recovering, alright?

I plan to adopt
  • Reply 18 of 27
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Let's save the banter until the baby is delivered and the wife is recovering, alright?

If the baby hasn't been delivered by now, the shit has hit the fan. I would assume that the baby is all set, since Mr. rp hasn't posted for a while (he was posting to kill time at the hospital).

Quote:

I plan to adopt

From what I've been told, the only way to accomplish this feat is to not get married [to a female] or to cut your balls off.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    HURAHHHHHH

Girl, 6lb 12oz, 9.00 04/10/05 (UK times)

Zoë Marie

thanks guys for your concern, good wishes and helping me waste a little time.

j.

(I was tempted to do a gweith palthro (sp?) and call her Apple but the look on my wife's face made me stick to the pre chosen name)
  • Reply 20 of 27
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Far out! Congratulations -- you are no longer a child, you're a parent!