So what is it?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Vote on what you think it is

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    I've edited the poll to include a PB/PM upgrade choice.

Duelling rumour sites!
  • Reply 2 of 64
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I don't believe that it is iPod related since the iPod nano is still too fresh and surely Apple would not like to distract its customers with another iPod_something so close to the end of the year. Second, TS confirmed that it is PM/PB updates . So there my vote.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

I've edited the poll to include a PB/PM upgrade choice.

Duelling rumour sites!

I've got to vote in favor of AI on this one.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I've got to vote in favor of AI on this one.

I'll have to vote in favor of common sense on this (PM update)
  • Reply 5 of 64
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't understand the theory that it's PowerBook/PowerMac updates. Since when has Jobs had a special event for updates? I sincerely doubt even a dual core PowerMac would warrant a special event like this, and certainly not an updated PowerBook, unless they were going Intel really, really early, which is highly doubtful. And it doesn't make sense to release new form factors for those machines until they put Intel into them. There has to be something else that isn't being predicted if it's about Mac updates.

Sorry ThinkSecret, but I'm going with a new iPod. And I don't think they care about cannibalization of the nano. They probably make a larger profit off of each regular iPod than each nano anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I don't understand the theory that it's PowerBook/PowerMac updates. Since when has Jobs had a special event for updates? I sincerely doubt even a dual core PowerMac would warrant a special event like this, and certainly not an updated PowerBook, unless they were going Intel really, really early, which is highly doubtful. And it doesn't make sense to release new form factors for those machines until they put Intel into them. There has to be something else that isn't being predicted if it's about Mac updates.

Sorry ThinkSecret, but I'm going with a new iPod. And I don't think they care about cannibalization of the nano. They probably make a larger profit off of each regular iPod than each nano anyway.

I can't understand why anyone would believe or want a less then 2" squared iPod video? Know anyone with similar devices on the market? Didn't think so. Additionally, it's just poor business to release competing products sop close to each other.

Dual core over 3 ghz is a big deal. Also, itunes selling movies is a big deal. Airport Express with video streaming from your just downloaded thru iTunes movie is a big deal.

Watching video on a matchbook sized screen that I need to sit there and hold for two hours is beyond ridiculous at any price, much less $400+

The Nano costs $99 to make, so they make $100 profit off each one of the millions they will sell.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    I can't see a new powerbook being released next week unless its with an Intel chip or the Freescale dual core 8641D processor. (According to Freescale, the chip is not due to go into production until next year. And we know what Steve Jobs said about the Intel timeline).

- Mark
  • Reply 8 of 64
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

... Also, itunes selling movies is a big deal. Airport Express with video streaming from your just downloaded thru iTunes movie is a big deal. ...

I wanted to vote for Airport Extreme Video (or whatever you want to call it) with the Airport Extreme Remote we've been waiting for all this time, but there wasn't an option for that, so I selected Video iPod. FTM, maybe it'll just be the remote.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

I wanted to vote for Airport Extreme Video (or whatever you want to call it) with the Airport Extreme Remote we've been waiting for all this time, but there wasn't an option for that, so I selected Video iPod. FTM, maybe it'll just be the remote.

Honestly, what's a bigger seller? A $100-$150 AE with streaming video to watch your $8 movie just downloaded thru itunes on your big screen TV?

or...

PAying $400 to watch Spiderman on a business card?

Does Apple get sued for the elbow tendonitis from holding it up to your face for 2 hours?
  • Reply 10 of 64
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

I can't understand why anyone would believe or want a less then 2" squared iPod video? Know anyone with similar devices on the market? Didn't think so. Additionally, it's just poor business to release competing products sop close to each other.

Dual core over 3 ghz is a big deal. Also, itunes selling movies is a big deal. Airport Express with video streaming from your just downloaded thru iTunes movie is a big deal.

Watching video on a matchbook sized screen that I need to sit there and hold for two hours is beyond ridiculous at any price, much less $400+

Of course a video iPod would require greatly expanded iTMS video content. I think people are assuming they would go together. There is virtually no (legal) content otherwise. And it would have to include some kind of dock, wireless or otherwise, to view content on a TV. You're right, a video iPod designed solely to watch videos on a small screen makes no sense, but I don't think anyone believes that's what this would be. It would have to include both expanded iTMS video content and some type of dock or hub - perhaps wireless - for viewing elsewhere.

Quote:

The Nano costs $99 to make, so they make $100 profit off each one of the millions they will sell.

My guess is that the regular iPod, including a video-capable iPod, makes an even higher profit margin than the nano. In any case, a special event for Mac updates makes no sense. He only does these for totally new products.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Option added and your vote transfered.

If anyone else have other options please tell and we can add them (no not a flying spagetti monster/Apple merger. Serious suggestions please)
  • Reply 12 of 64
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My order of the possibilities:

1) New product that's NOT an iPod OR a Mac.

2) iPod video/iPod redesign

3) Intel Power Macs

4) Airport Extreme Video

5) Intel Powerbooks

6) PM/PB speed bumps

Whatever it is, I have a feeling everyone will want one for Christmas.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Guys guys guys...

Nobody said it has a 2.5 inch screen. Could be smaller. COULD BE BIGGER.

Nobody said the iPod Nano can't get a flash update to support it.

I don't see any problems with the gossip. Movie curtains means movies. Can't be *that* hard to grasp.

What *OTHER* product updates got special invitations? Okay then....
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Quote:

What *OTHER* product updates got special invitations? Okay then....

iBook dual USB
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

iBook dual USB

My point exactly. A new product. There only thing those products shared were a name. If it were a change.. it would be a *whole new* change. I really can't call the Dual USB iBook an update. Which is why I don't think this will be an update.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:

My point exactly. A new product. There only thing those products shared were a name. If it were a change.. it would be a *whole new* change. I really can't call the Dual USB iBook an update. Which is why I don't think this will be an update.

If a dual USB iBook is a new product, then how a dual dual-core Power Mac with a redesigned board (hopefully with PCIe graphics) is not a new product? The last Power Mac update was a joke and Apple knows this. Besides the Power Mac is essentially unaltered from its birth, more than two years from then. Apple is well aware of the problems this can make.

But who knows, perhaps they count too much on the iPod and related stuff. Otherwise how one could explain this? I forgot for how long it goes like that without new computers on the display.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Option added and your vote transfered.

If anyone else have other options please tell and we can add them (no not a flying spagetti monster/Apple merger. Serious suggestions please)

Yea, my vote for the AE video streaming (if it's not the dual core which I'm waiting for)
  • Reply 18 of 64
    Quote:

I don't see any problems with the gossip. Movie curtains means movies. Can't be *that* hard to grasp.

Now that I am thinking again about this, you may be right after all. I had forgot about this: www.apple.com/movies. It is "Forbidden", not error.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Now that I am thinking again about this, you may be right after all. I had forgot about this: www.apple.com/movies. It is "Forbidden", not error.

Damn. Thats a screw up of proportions. normally you would get this: http://www.apple.com/404

It actually tells me that I am not allowed to access movies on that server
  • Reply 20 of 64
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    I think we can be pretty sure that it has to do with movies, as mentioned before, because of the red curtains in Apple's message.

But I think videoclips or full length video on an iPod alone are not interesting enough for a "One More Thing"-event.

An online video hiring model like iTunes would be interesting though. Like iTunes, but with different conditions, like copying only once and viewing max 3 times.

Combined with an iTunes Video Store, a vPod for family car trips, Airport Extreme Video and even a new "Home Pod" device could all suddenly be interesting enough for a special event on october 12th...