Apple to hold special event on Oct 12

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer will hold a special event next Wednesday to introduce a new form of product or service, AppleInsider has learned.

On Tuesday the iPod maker began distributing invitations to analysts and members of the media for a special event scheduled for 10:00 a.m. October 12 at the California Theater in San Jose.

The invitations simply read: "One more thing..."

In recent years, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs has used the phrase "One more thing..." to indicate a surprise product announcement towards the end of his keynote presentations.

In the invitations themselves, Apple provided no hints as to what announcements it plans to make. However, recent information suggests that Apple may be preparing to introduce a version of its iPod with video capabilities.

The special event will be the second held by Apple in less than five weeks. On September 7th the iPod maker dazzled the media with the introduction of its ultra-thin iPod nano.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    Just in time for the Christmas buying season. "One more thing" seems to indicate something new rather than upgrades to any Macs. I'm betting on the Video iPod. If that's it then Santa is going to be busy this year.
  • Reply 2 of 112
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    If its a 5th gen iPod, my credit card could be getting a work out - bored of the 4th gen design...
  • Reply 3 of 112
    Now what videocontent can apple actually obtain that people want to see very much and costs nothing.....

Airport AV with iSight/ichat integration:

Free Videocalling from your TV

VOIP over your stereo

Apple has seen the skype explosion and learned....
  • Reply 4 of 112
    I'm very excited even though I just bought a nano.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    Good job with the blurring on that email address in the invite... good job no-one can read it anymore.
  • Reply 6 of 112
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FireEmblemPride

I'm very excited even though I just bought a nano.

in the same boat as you... I just hope i didnt buy too quicky and dont regret waiting.

damn you apple for not releasing it all at once!
  • Reply 7 of 112
    The article says there's no hint to what the product could be... If we look back at the invitations sent out for the Nano launch it featured a pair of jeans that I do believe had the small pocket steve jobs used to pull the nano out of (so there was an hint in that invite). So I believe there is a hint in this invite, Theatres generally have red curtains like the ones on the invite, theatre - movies, I think apple are getting at somthing.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    A video ipod? After we just had an ipod event 5 weeks earlier? God, I hope not.

I'm glad Apple's doing so well with the iPod, but I'm getting sick of it seemingly becoming the real focus of the company. What happened to the Mac? Many core Mac products have felt quite uninspired over the last few interations (iBook, PBook, and PMacs), and it's been weeks since a Mac has appeared on Apple's home page! And my local Apple store now features iPods in the front of the store, on both sides of the aisle.

I hope this event is more Mac-oriented. I'm crossing my fingers for a dual core G5 PowerMac. That's enough of a leap to warrant a special event, along with new Pbooks maybe. Both machines need a real boost right now, or else everyone's just going to wait for the lines to go over to Intel.
  • Reply 9 of 112

Call me stupid but the email address looks like:

[email protected]

I guess G_Warren was being cynical?

Do you suppose AI did this on purpose?

Conspiracy anyone?

• Reply 10 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by franksargent

Call me stupid but the email address looks like:

[email protected]

I guess G_Warren was being cynical?

Do you suppose AI did this on purpose?

Conspiracy anyone?

Maybe it's the fact that anyone can reply to it?
  • Reply 11 of 112
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    I'm not so sure about the iPod Video... it seems so contradicting with the thing that Steve Jobs said on the WWDC 2005.. he was talking about other companies who produced "Portable video players" that they are retards who were trying to make things that would be stupid, like whatching a film on a miniature screen (only with nicer words)...

but.. I've heard from other people that Steve does say something that he would never produce, and some years later he does produce the thing that he said he would never produce.. but the time between the statemant and the production were years.. and with this one.. is just.. a few months..

though I still think that it would be something with Movies/films.. but in an other way.. i think it would something like a "Media Centre".. A "home-cinema-set-kinda-thingy".. and perhaps with "WiFi/AirPort/802.11g/or whatever you want to call it"... though I've heard he wouldn't do something with TV, cause he didn't like it or something?.. oh well.. we'll have to wait and see...(like we didn't do that before)

b3nj
  • Reply 12 of 112
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I hope ThinkSecret is right about it being PowerMac or 'Book related. If it's ANOTHER damn iPod announcement, I'm going to be zoo-pissed.

edited to add:

I thought this was in Future hardware. It's not intended to inflame you iPod fans... I'm just jealous of you getting all the attention.
  • Reply 13 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Maybe it's the fact that anyone can reply to it?

As G_Warren suggests, it's not the fact that the address is blurred, albeit inadequately, but whomever blurred it, 1) didn't do it properly or 2) intended the address to be seen anyway (thus the "conspiracy theory' statement).

• Reply 14 of 112

To me the red curtain suggest 2 hypotheticals:

1) video (or 5th generation) iPod

2) encore presentation of previously released products

In my view (wishful thinking) both seem very plausible, with the encore being a massive release of hardware products (JIT for the holiday buying season). New PM's, PB's (maybe the 7448 but not the G5), iMac's (?), Mac mini (official announcement of new models), eMac (?), etc.

CIJ is bout to bust a move (and I don't mean BM either)!

• Reply 15 of 112
    Quote:

As G_Warren suggests, it's not the fact that the address is blurred, albeit inadequately, but whomever blurred it, 1) didn't do it properly or 2) intended the address to be seen anyway (thus the "conspiracy theory' statement).

Glad someone understood my sarcasm
  • Reply 16 of 112
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I tend to think this is going to be a brand new product. It very well may have video, music, and photo capability, but I wonder if it's going to be an "iPod." It can't cannabalize iPod sales, however, so it's going to be different enough that people will want it for *different* reasons than they would want an iPod.

I really do think this sucker might have an Intel chip in it, too. That leads me to believe it very well could be a new computer.

Whatever happens, I have a feeling I'm going to be very impressed.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I tend to think this is going to be a brand new product. It very well may have video, music, and photo capability,

I really do think this sucker might have an Intel chip in it, too. That leads me to believe it very well could be a new computer.

Airport Express meets Mac mini equals HTPC.....? hmm
  • Reply 18 of 112
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    Quote:

To me the red curtain suggest 2 hypotheticals:

1) video (or 5th generation) iPod

2) encore presentation of previously released products

#2.. maybe it is nano colors!
  • Reply 19 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

#2.. maybe it is nano colors!

HA! I'd laugh!!
  • Reply 20 of 112
    It'll probably be that new shiny dual core dual G5 desktop Powermac and a dualcore G4 Powerbook!