Timeframe for next PowerMac?

Comments

• Reply 201 of 294
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Shhh, stop talking about oveclocking. It is forbidden here... I don't remember the name of the moderator neither the penalty. You have perhaps time to edit your posts .
  • Reply 202 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Shhh, stop talking about oveclocking. It is forbidden here...

Indeed, let's stay on topic, namely baseless rumors of new PMs.

"Apple declined to comment on rumors that 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5 GHz quad-quad systems would be released on Tuesday, Oct. 4."

Let's not let the total absence of facts sway us from what we Know will happen.

• Reply 203 of 294
    i missed the no comment thing about PM's on Oct.4... where is that link?

I think I could eat some silicon/metal/plastic and crap a machine faster than this has taken for a true update!
  • Reply 204 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by namachtag

Does anyone think that the last speed bump was to clear out some stock of the outdated logic board PowerMacs? Until, the dual core comes out? I believe they used to introduce new PowerMacs in August too...instead of the 1 year to update that seems currently what has been happening.

Any thoughts?

g

probably. that dual core is gonna be pretty cool.

peace
  • Reply 205 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by aidanp

probably. that dual core is gonna be pretty cool.

And it should not be far away. Here is the recent Genesi announcement.
  • Reply 206 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

And it should not be far away. Here is the recent Genesi announcement.

Now Appleinsider has sources (who have sources...) saying new PMs "within 2 weeks." Of course we heard positive rumblings before Paris. But here's hoping ... and perhaps enough time has elapsed that dual-core PMs are a real possibility.
  • Reply 207 of 294
    i'll believe it when we see em! I wonder if IBM has delayed them on purpose... to teach steve a lesson. I'm hoping for next tuesday... but i've gotten my hopes up before. I'm betting they will be sporting the new ATI cards.
  • Reply 208 of 294
    Quote:

i'll believe it when we see em! I wonder if IBM has delayed them on purpose... to teach steve a lesson. I'm hoping for next tuesday... but i've gotten my hopes up before. I'm betting they will be sporting the new ATI cards.

I agree with your pessimism but I'm hoping...

What ATI cards do you mean? I'm debating what card (not the default) for intensive video work (posting elsewhere on that).
  • Reply 209 of 294
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bjewett

What ATI cards do you mean?

Probably the Radeon X1300/X1600/X1800.
  • Reply 210 of 294
    driekdriek Posts: 3member
    When i orderd my Dual 2Ghz G5 PowerMac on 22th of September, my on or before date was "27/09/2005", last thursday i called apple to ask where's my powermac, it had been delayed until "03/10/2005", when I asked why (2or3times) they saide, they haven't had any G5 processors in stock until "01/10/2005" ...

So i'm waiting, and hoping for a dual core dual g5
  • Reply 211 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Probably the Radeon X1300/X1600/X1800.

Thanks for the info. I hope these new cards are supported early, at least as a BTO, unlike the X850 which took awhile to show up on the apple store (and presumably to work seamlessly with the OS).
  • Reply 212 of 294
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Thanks for the info. I hope these new cards are supported early, at least as a BTO, unlike the X850 which took awhile to show up on the apple store (and presumably to work seamlessly with the OS).

Most ATI video cards would work out of the box without any problems; the driver is probably very generic, the only downside, you might have to wait, in the case of DIY upgrades in regards to seeing an updated driver coming with the next update released.

With that being said, the best option I hope Apple adopts is the PCIe 2.0 which will provide enough bandwidth to fly a Antanov through.
  • Reply 213 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by driek

When i orderd my Dual 2Ghz G5 PowerMac on 22th of September, my on or before date was "27/09/2005", last thursday i called apple to ask where's my powermac, it had been delayed until "03/10/2005", when I asked why (2or3times) they saide, they haven't had any G5 processors in stock until "01/10/2005" ...

So i'm waiting, and hoping for a dual core dual g5

I order mine on the 17th and it shipped in 6 days (custom configuration Dual 2GHz)

I got tired of waiting. BTW loving the dually. sooooo fast. nothing can stop this bad boy. Should carry me through until second generation intel powermacs
  • Reply 214 of 294
    Well, I highly doubt that we will have an update in a few hrs. my time.... What are chances of the future? I sure hope everything doesn't dry up like everyones posting.... I was mad that it's taken so long...now I'm just going along for the ride.........weeeeeeeeeeeeee......
  • Reply 215 of 294
    Quote:

Well, I highly doubt that we will have an update in a few hrs. my time.... What are chances of the future?

It's Tuesday, and the Apple Store is still up as of afternoon, California time.

This means 6 more months of winter and untold weeks (months?) of waiting for new PMs.
  • Reply 216 of 294
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

It's Tuesday, and the Apple Store is still up as of afternoon, California time.

This means 6 more months of winter and untold weeks (months?) of waiting for new PMs.

Huh? You haven't heard about the Oct 12th event? Sounds like a dual core announcement getting past 3 ghz to me.
  • Reply 217 of 294
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Huh? You haven't heard about the Oct 12th event? Sounds like a dual core announcement getting past 3 ghz to me.

Not likely! I bet on the previous specs that have floated around in the forums , like dual core 2.5 at the top end or whatever thehigh end speed was..Ill be REALLY surprised if IBM pulls a 3ghz + dual core chip outta their asses, to put into Apples.
  • Reply 218 of 294
    the promo with the curtains could be go either way it could mean:

last curtain call for the PM and the PB

or

could mean video ipod....

very smart!

hopefully it will be for PM and PB....it is to close to the nano intro and i'd be ticked if i had spent money for a nano and not something new w/video!
  • Reply 219 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

Not likely! I bet on the previous specs that have floated around in the forums , like dual core 2.5 at the top end or whatever thehigh end speed was..Ill be REALLY surprised if IBM pulls a 3ghz + dual core chip outta their asses, to put into Apples.

I think it's unlikely myself but Apple has had faster that advertised chips before, I believe the 2.7 GHz chips were in the PowerMacs before IBM officially documented them.
  • Reply 220 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by jherrling

...I believe the 2.7 GHz chips were in the PowerMacs before IBM officially documented them.

Yes, very often in the past (not to say this is the rule), first Apple got the chips and then, some weeks later, Freescale/IBM added to the catalog the high-end chips going to Apple. But I don't believe that there will be G5 beyond the 3 GHz mark.