So what is it?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    What video content has not got licensing issues and people actually do want to see???

Friends and family and lovers. Live.

My money is on something new incorporating an iSight and iChat

that connects to your TV (and stereo).

And Just Works (tm)...

Besides this great stuff, off course also integration with iTunes and the rest of iLife.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Several people have pointed out that why would Apple want to possibly cannibalize the iPod nano's "oomph" by releasing another iPod-like device so shortly after.

My response is this. Either it is a brilliant marketing strategy, such that the nano would get some serious coverage all on its own, or because it wasn't ready by the time of the unveiling. My guess is that it is a Video iPod. I, personally, see some huge advantages for this:
    • Be able to take family movies anywhere (without the need of a DVD player)

• See movies on the road.

• Possibly used as a storage device for your movies, after yoiu shoot them (without a computer).

Yes, some of that is far-fetched, but not outside the realm of possibility.

Also, the whole "Movie Curtain" thing. Apple is famous for leaving little hints as to what is going to happen. They did it with the nano/Phone, why not this?

A PowerMac/PowerBook upgrade just does not seem to be the correct answer in this case.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    Video enabled iPod. If nothing else, let people take their pirated movies and iMovies on the road with them. Even better (and more likely if the video iPod is introduced) would be the availability of new content due to studio partnerships.

Slightly off topic: I take issue with people's calling a video-enabled iPod a "vPod." The implication there is that "i" stands for something relating to music, sound, or other audio playback.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    It's ridiculously obvious that it's going to be a video-capable iPod.

1) The invitation graphic.

2) www.apple.com/movies

3) The BBC slip.

4) iTunes/nano firmware icons.

If I'm wrong, I'm fairly sure there's someone around here who still owes us an act of autofellatio.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    PowerMacs and PowerBooks and iMacs anyone? The iMac shipping for custom orders - e.g., add more memory - changed from 1-3 days to 5-7 days. Also, the PowerMac 2.0 and 2.3 CTO times have also changed for the 2Ghz from 1-3 days to 5-7, and for the 2.3GHz 7-10 days. So I voted for TS plus iMacs.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Several people have pointed out that why would Apple want to possibly cannibalize the iPod nano's "oomph" by releasing another iPod-like device so shortly after.

It's simple why Apple would do such a thing. Apple would do it in a heart beat if it was a higher profit margin product of at least equivalent revenue.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    I vote for "Uhmm...hmmm...???" It'll by like when Apple introduced the original iPod as a revolutionary digital media product and everyone said, "What the frell! That's revolutionary? It's just an expensive MP3 player."
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Sorry ThinkSecret, but I'm going with a new iPod. And I don't think they care about cannibalization of the nano. They probably make a larger profit off of each regular iPod than each nano anyway.

What I don't understand, is why Apple would go into the Christmas season with a refresh to only one of their iPod lines. The Nano is great, but it has limited storage, and only comes in two colors.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

2) www.apple.com/movies

Isn't that just the directory where they store all of the quicktime videos on their site? Check out the source code for any page with an embedded TV ad...

Why not a PowerBook G5? Something everybody wanted just a few months ago, and now is possible because of this: 970FX
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Doxxic

I think we can be pretty sure that it has to do with movies, as mentioned before, because of the red curtains in Apple's message.

But I think videoclips or full length video on an iPod alone are not interesting enough for a "One More Thing"-event.

An online video hiring model like iTunes would be interesting though. Like iTunes, but with different conditions, like copying only once and viewing max 3 times.

Combined with an iTunes Video Store, a vPod for family car trips, Airport Extreme Video and even a new "Home Pod" device could all suddenly be interesting enough for a special event on october 12th...

"Drawing the curtain on Power PC...Apple brings you the last Powerbook G4 and PowerMac G5".

Did someone say Apple Newton? I could have sworn a larger iPod with video would be a spitting image (minus monochrome screen)
  • Reply 31 of 64
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Vote on what you think it is

Here is what I think;

Oct 12 - launch Video iPod (allows you to play music video on you iPod and therefore in you TV. Apple announces Beatles law suite settlement and now Beatles music, video's and movies can play on the iPod. Special Beatles iPod video available.

Jan (macworld SF) - iLife and QT update now allows you to move iMovies and QT video to your iPod and play them. AE A/V 802.11n- allows users to stream iMovies and QT movies to the TV just like Airtunes does for Music.

September '06 - iPod Phone. Combination of iPod and Cell phone. Also releaseing Mac Mini PVR. It is the size of the Mac Mini, but the front face plate has an iPod-like screen on the left and scroll wheel in the right. The menu system is the same as iPod. The Apple Mini PVR plugs into TV and Stereo, holds music and video. It also streams Music and Video to any TV or speakers attached to new AE A/V. Along with Mac Mini PVR, .Mac is updated with same tv listings for web based recording controls similar to other PVR offerings.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    It is a Red curtain and all that may imply, does anyone have any information? The rumor sites are abuzz would like to see a new improved PowerBook. but not so sure it's coming. Probably a new and improved iPod, but with a red curtain it seems video related?
  • Reply 33 of 64
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NeedAnewMac

It is a Red curtain and all that may imply, does anyone have any information? The rumor sites are abuzz would like to see a new improved PowerBook. but not so sure it's coming. Probably a new and improved iPod, but with a red curtain it seems video related?

Think about a HD Powerbook 17". Remember the "leaked" documentation back in the last Powerbook update about a 1920 x 1200 display (the built-in one) for the 17" model. If a Powerbook update is really coming, it should certainly include this one.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Why not a PowerBook G5? Something everybody wanted just a few months ago, and now is possible because of this: 970FX

Unless there is a secret 1.8 GHz 970fx running at max 25-30 Watts - IBM doesn't have it in their documentation - there isn't much point in a 1.6 GHz Powerbook G5. 1 year ago, sure, not today.

Sure like to see something in the 1.8 to 2 GHz range though.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    Video Podcasting?

Couldn't that be a good reason to have iPod video, besides music clips, if no scheme for hiring long video online is ready yet?

So anyone could make their own tv shows?
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Doxxic

Video Podcasting?

Couldn't that be a good reason to have iPod video, besides music clips, if no scheme for hiring long video online is ready yet?

So anyone could make their own tv shows?

Cool idea. iMovie, FCP, etc... yeah... I like that idea.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Cool idea. iMovie, FCP, etc... yeah... I like that idea.

If it works, Video Podcasting could become a way for Apple to improve their position in probably tough negotiations with video publishers...

It could mean a twist to the economics of video publishing, since small movie mavericks may attract sponsors that would otherwise have to pay a lot if they had to reach their audiences through big media companies.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Let's stay on this video podcasting line of thinking:

There could be a WHOLE NEW market for this that people haven't ever though of. Families all over can use their DV camcorders to create little home movies to send to friends and family. Those people then upload those videos to their iPods to watch while they're out and about and to show to others.

Home movies would become the new digital pictures. Up to now we've had people sharing digital pictures through e-mail and online galleries. Why not videos?

This *could* kick-start the video sharing revolution and encourage people to do more with their home movies than just stick them on a shelf.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I'm waiting for MOSR to post their prediction before I cast my vote. They usually get around to it a few hours after a Stevenote.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Since 20gig and larger ipods arent selling as well as they used too I think apple will unveil the complete "Beatles" catalog to help suck-up HD space and move some more pricey ipods. I would think this would be done in conjunction with a new slimmer ipod that has an integrated and easily replaceable battery pack.