apple's money scam

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The Apple ipod power adapter is such a scam. Well, not necessarily this product, but the fact that you need this item to charge your ipod without a computer. I think it is unbelievable that your ipod can only be charged through a computer without this accessory. What happens if you are on a trip and are away from a computer? You have to spend 50 dollars just to be able to do something you should be able to do anyways? This is unbelievable! I was thinking about buying an ipod but now i'm not so sure because of all the costs of necessities like cases and a power adapter. These things should come free with your ipod. Or at least you should be able to charge the battery normally like you can do with almost every rechargable electronic. I'm really dissapointed in apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    ... and when they add $50 to the price (to and include all that stuff), you'd whine that it was too expensive ...

I guess I don't see how this is a "scam".
  • Reply 2 of 29
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You could always build one yourself... \
  • Reply 3 of 29
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iwantanipod21

The Apple ipod power adapter is such a scam. Well, not necessarily this product, but the fact that you need this item to charge your ipod without a computer. I think it is unbelievable that your ipod can only be charged through a computer without this accessory. What happens if you are on a trip and are away from a computer? You have to spend 50 dollars just to be able to do something you should be able to do anyways? This is unbelievable! I was thinking about buying an ipod but now i'm not so sure because of all the costs of necessities like cases and a power adapter. These things should come free with your ipod. Or at least you should be able to charge the battery normally like you can do with almost every rechargable electronic. I'm really dissapointed in apple.

That's a textbook example of "useless whining". Just factor the charger in the price if you need it. Not everyone does.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have a firewire charger which I'm going to sell along with my mini. My nano only syncs over USB and I only want to carry one cable around.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:

The Apple ipod power adapter is such a scam. Well, not necessarily this product, but the fact that you need this item to charge your ipod without a computer. I think it is unbelievable that your ipod can only be charged through a computer without this accessory.

You can use any self powered USB hub to charge the iPod without using a computer!
  • Reply 6 of 29
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    I'm joining the camp of 'glad they dropped the price and removed the charger'. I have my iPod plugged into my mac all the time, so no complaints here. Also, my iPod mini charges over firewire even if my mac is off!

Besides, a lot of other manufacturers do not include a charger either- including virtually all of the rechargeable pen drive style units.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    $50 for a stupid wall adapter seems a little excessive. it should be $20, $25 max
  • Reply 8 of 29
    i think its actually 30, and they come with world plug adapters.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    rara Posts: 623member
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=M9837LL%2FA

It's $29.99, see above. When they stopped including it, they also dropped $29.99 from the price.

Scam... right.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I couldn't tell you the last time I charged my iPod with the wall outlet. It's either charging from my Mac or my car's power adapter. Like was mentioned above, if I were you I'd buy the cheapest powered USB hub you can find if it bothers you so much.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    I think I'm a little lost here. Which iPod used to include a power adapter that no longer does? As far as I can see, the regular iPod still includes one?
  • Reply 12 of 29
    iPod mini 1st Gen was the last...i think
  • Reply 13 of 29
    where can you buy these usb hubs and how much are they? Also a note - when I said $50.00 I was talking Canadian dollars. I guess this isn't so much a scam I just find it a little excessive that you have to pay so much for extra costs and know thats how the market works. I just wanting to here peoples opinions.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

I just wanting to here peoples opinions.

I just wanted to hear people's opinions.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The 1st gen iPod did indeed come with a wall wart power adapter. I have one. And it was dropped from subsequent generations because it was so rarely used by most iPod owners.

I think it's a neat little device though, since it runs power through a standard FW port. In *theory* you could use it to power any FW device.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

where can you buy these usb hubs and how much are they? Also a note - when I said $50.00 I was talking Canadian dollars. I guess this isn't so much a scam I just find it a little excessive that you have to pay so much for extra costs and know thats how the market works. I just wanting to here peoples opinions.

But didn't it occur to you that every bit of hardware costs money? It's not like adding a feature to a program. That only costs the programming time (and debug time). But each time they include that recharger it costs Apple $15-$20. Are they supposed to lose money every time they give out one for free with the iPod, or should they have charged everyone for something that many would have prefered not getting in the first place?

Then those people could say that it was a rip-off since they were being made to pay for something they didn't want.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    ya whatever
  • Reply 18 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

'scuse me, I have a 60g color and it came with a power adaptor!

The ipod mini/nano/shuffle has never had a power adapter in the box...but you know that when you buy it (assuming you read the specs and items included lables on expencive electronics, which you shouuld).

Quote:

Included accessories...Earbud headphones, AC adapter, USB 2.0 cable

http://www.apple.com/ipod/color/specs.html

Lists for the Nano and shuffle were removed from this post where the ... is

This is nothing new, look at walkmans/diskmans...many if not all were rechargable and the chargers were never (till last year some time) in any of the "portable CD kits" for under $50...the cheap units sat next to a display of a-la-carte chargers that sold for ~$25+

You could also complain because your cell phone can only be charged at home unless you buy a car charger - which you think should have been included...but that also fails the logic test -- Would you rather have a $199 ipod nano or a $229 nano with AC brick...I know what the marketing dept as well as most consumers would say...$199! I will buy the brick IF I need it

On the high end, it is a premeum of sorts, like the $60,000 Cadillac having more standard toys than the $10,000 Chevy.[QUOTE]
  • Reply 19 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

ya whatever

Don't start a thread if you don't like the facts everyone gives you.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Don't start a thread if you don't like the facts everyone gives you.

dude i was just agreeing I did't say I didn't like the facts.