Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!

Comments

• Reply 61 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

Similar reports have been run on CNN and Fox. Makes you think there is going to be a video iPod no?

Well I can tell you one thing, If they are NOT going to be releasing a video iPod, then they are going to have to say something to squash the rumours, because it's getting so hyped now, that if they don't release a video iPod, their stock will get slammed.
  • Reply 62 of 290
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimbo123

Well I suppose because there are two locations for this event

it must be something bigger than updated PowerMacs etc.

Just as it has happened before, Apple is probably showing the event to the press in Europe via satellite.
  • Reply 63 of 290
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

I know this is sort of off topic but this morning, I was reading the Orange County Register's Business section and there was an article about Apple and the rumored video iPod or new macs. In the article, it mentioned the ThinkSecret.com web site which, to me, was rather surprising.

link

The RedEye in Chicago quoted both appleinsider and thinksecrets predictions...very strange that the media thinks that reporting on rumors is journalism
  • Reply 64 of 290
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

...very strange that the media thinks that reporting on rumors is journalism

Either strange times ahead, or there is much truth in these rumors and we don't know it yet here.
  • Reply 65 of 290
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

I know this is sort of off topic but this morning, I was reading the Orange County Register's Business section and there was an article about Apple and the rumored video iPod or new macs. In the article, it mentioned the ThinkSecret.com web site which, to me, was rather surprising.

link

It's not that surprising to me. I've seen Apple Insider (the rumor borads) / MOSR, and TS given as rumor reference from anywhere from the NY times, CNN, to CNET.
  • Reply 66 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carniphage

It's time to polish up those crystal balls folks...

Here's my what my tea-leaves are saying.

Legal movie download service.

Somebody at some point will offer a movie-for-download service which is endorsed by the studios. Apple are currently the best-placed company to do this.

Want to know what's embarrassing?

There are already two such services that were inititated by the studios, one with MS buy in as well. And you can get Pixar films too. Clearly the studios are willing to do this, but they don't know how to make it successful. Same conclusion, different facts.
  • Reply 67 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Well I can tell you one thing, If they are NOT going to be releasing a video iPod, then they are going to have to say something to squash the rumours, because it's getting so hyped now, that if they don't release a video iPod, their stock will get slammed.

No, the rumor isn't built into the price at all yet. It's just doing it's usual thing now. Apple stock behavior isn't what it used to be - with a $45B market cap, they roll through crap like this pretty well.
  • Reply 68 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Either strange times ahead, or there is much truth in these rumors and we don't know it yet here.

You know, Steve has been out to undermine the rumor sites for a while now. You haven't noticed that the big calls have been made by the WSJ and other mainstream press? Intel, for instance.

I wouldn't be suprised if Steve was giving them a little taste knowing that they won't divulge details, photos, and specs. That's what drives him nuts. If people are curious about a vPod but don't know details, they're more likely to tune into the event than if they have no idea at all what it is.
  • Reply 69 of 290
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

... Hey... Apple can do what they want. It's about time they made another pippin mistake. They are due for one.

You said it, brother. Ever since the iPod they've been thinking they've got golden fingers. This announcement is pure chutzpah.
  • Reply 70 of 290
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

My cable modem is 4Mb/s so I can easily download a SD H.264 file in real-time. Even 1.5Mb DLS should be able to do the same. So you can start watching immediately, though it'll take as long as the clip to finish. Theoretically I should be able to do the same with a HD file, but my guess is that realistically 2x the file length.

Sure you could, but with 800,000+ women getting their daily soaps, Kid's getting their Anime, and a god knows, who, and what else. Where are you going to get this bandwidth? Your connection is only as as good as where your getting it. A few episodes of lost, buffy, prison break, ROME, and WEEDS. So you want to accomplish all this, and all the rest with todays internet connections (mostly spliced T3's, T1's, and regular Coax)? They must have installed multiple Dense Wave Division Multiplexing lines from home to home recently. Maybe they are using Cisco CRS-1 throughout the country in all major cities, coupled with OC-3072 to every neighborhood. Your cable modem is 4Mbits ps but, there will be a lot more than just you, and a couple hundred ex TV pirates across state lines involved in this when it happens.

I think it's going happen don't get me wrong, but I don't think they can supply people with what they will demand right away, and pippin was the same way. We'll see what Apple has, but I think they should have gone after a home delivery service with a Set Top box styled iHome that can do iTunes, and Tivo like stuff across the cable system. Like a Tivo data base where you can access this content, and possibly subscribe to a season, or something. I just can't imagine 800,000+ housewives getting their soaps over the internet, (plus everybody else trying) and anyone having any bandwidth left. Replay-TV (it's like a Tivo) used to have a ethernet cable where you could theoretically share shows over the internet through a PC, or HUB, or iHome if you will. That would be the way to go with this. It surely would put the huge Capacity of Blue Ray disc to some good use in a Hard drive format. terabyte drives in an Mac-Mini sized box.

My 2¢
  • Reply 71 of 290
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

You are right. Sites like CNN dont just publish crap (to a large extent). People did not believe it when they said apple was switching to Intel. Guess what guys, get read for a video ipod. Hopefully it will be more than just a iPod that can play short music videos.
  • Reply 72 of 290
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Apple/Microsoft merger
  • Reply 73 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Sure you could, but with 800,000+ women getting their daily soaps, Kid's getting their Anime, and a god knows, who, and what else. Where are you going to get this bandwidth? Your connection is only as as good as where your getting it. A few episodes of lost, buffy, prison break, ROME, and WEEDS. So you want to accomplish all this, and all the rest with todays internet connections (mostly spliced T3's, T1's, and regular Coax)? They must have installed multiple Dense Wave Division Multiplexing lines from home to home recently. Maybe they are using Cisco CRS-1 throughout the country in all major cities, coupled with OC-3072 to every neighborhood. Your cable modem is 4Mbits ps but, there will be a lot more than just you, and a couple hundred ex TV pirates across state lines involved in this when it happens.

I think it's going happen don't get me wrong, but I don't think they can supply people with what they will demand right away, and pippin was the same way. We'll see what Apple has, but I think they should have gone after a home delivery service with a Set Top box styled iHome that can do iTunes, and Tivo like stuff across the cable system. Like a Tivo data base where you can access this content, and possibly subscribe to a season, or something. I just can't imagine 800,000+ housewives getting their soaps over the internet, (plus everybody else trying) and anyone having any bandwidth left. Replay-TV (it's like a Tivo) used to have a ethernet cable where you could theoretically share shows over the internet through a PC, or HUB, or iHome if you will. That would be the way to go with this. It surely would put the huge Capacity of Blue Ray disc to some good use in a Hard drive format. terabyte drives in an Mac-Mini sized box.

My 2¢

OK, but the BitTorrent masses are already out there sucking down the bandwidth. Shifting some of them to a legal system doesn't add to the bandwidth problem. I fail to see how 800,000 housewives are going to suddently start buying their episodes. It's not as though cable is gong away or TiVo is going away. This is a service to fill in the gaps where those don't work. If it's more convenient to set up the season pass on the TiVo, then that's what the housewives will do and save the $2/day. If, however, the TiVo barfs or the Steelers pre-empt it, or what have you, then they'll have a resource where none currently exists.

Keep in mind that iTMS is currently pushing out around 50,000 songs an hour and I've not aware of any signficant access or bandwidth problems in spite of the growth that they've witnessed with the exception of the Windows intro.

And in a lot of markets now, the cable system IS the internet. I get internet, digital cable and phone through the same fiber pipe. Surely it's throttled differently, but moving the bandwidth from internet to cable accomplishes nothing, really.

And the demand will be low initially as it was with music. It takes a little time for people to change their habits and that gives everybody time to build out and get on board. iTMS was light on content in the beginning. There weren't a lot of customers at first. It took a year to get rolling. This would be no different.
  • Reply 74 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Apple/Microsoft merger

So that's Bill Gates' giant head behind the screen? Oh, wait, it'd be Ballmer's giant head now, right?

<shutter>
  • Reply 75 of 290
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    What the hell are you talking about? What *hitty ass connection do you have? on my 768mb DSL it takes 5 minutes or less for a 150mb file..

On my comcast cable (though not in san jose <-- since comcast sucks there) in LA i download at between 3-4mbs second.

Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

Hmm, lets see.

A 30 min TV show would be about 150MBs (standard def, compressed with H.264). On a standard DSL line (1.5Mbps), thats about 15 minutes. On a standard Cable line, that is only 8 minutes.

If it took you all day, you must be on dial up...

Not quite right. FCC said all tv must be digital broadcast (so no more analog broadcasts). A digital broadcast can be either SD or HD. There is no FCC mandate requiring all stations to be in HDTV. And this has already been pushed back. First it was by 2006, now it is either 2007 or 2008. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed back again when the date draws near.

• Reply 76 of 290
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Every company makes mistakes, but a video player is in high demand, it's time for entertainment to progress. mp3 players weren't the rage until Apple came in and did it "right", video players already exist, but it's time for somebody to "do it right" all over again.

Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

You said it, brother. Ever since the iPod they've been thinking they've got golden fingers. This announcement is pure chutzpah.

• Reply 77 of 290
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000263062133/

So they say the jokes over.. of course neither of those photos were real.. and now they say we get plain old upgrades.

Yeah right... since when does 'one more thing' get you a crappy bump. (fools)
  • Reply 78 of 290
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    A feature film download service might actually do quite well. If they format the size to a low enough resolution that it won't scale well for a TV screen, BUT it will look okay on the video iPod's screen or in a small window on your computer, people might go for that. Charge $2 per movie (that you can put on unlimited iPods) and consumers would FLIP OUT.
  • Reply 79 of 290
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

What the hell are you talking about? What *hitty ass connection do you have? on my 768mb DSL it takes 5 minutes or less for a 150mb file..

May I assume it is a 768mbs line? And a 150mb file (both megabits)? Then you need 150/768 = 0.195 sec to download the file. Something does not adds up here .
  • Reply 80 of 290
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Every company makes mistakes, but a video player is in high demand, it's time for entertainment to progress. mp3 players weren't the rage until Apple came in and did it "right", video players already exist, but it's time for somebody to "do it right" all over again.

Perhaps not MP3 players but as has been mentioned many times, portable music was nothing new at all. Apple just made it much more appealing and fun.

Portable video is not in any way equivalent to the situation with portable music before Apple intro'ed the iPod. There are portable video solutions in existence now but I've yet to *ever* see someone using one. Prior to the iPod I always saw all sorts of portable music devices being used for years.

I'm sure it's coming, but I can't seem to see the nirvana some see with portable video even done by Apple on a revoolutionary new device. If anyone can do it though (and make it bigtime), Apple can.