Macromedia Studio 8

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I am demoing DreamWeaver 8 now (30 day trial period). I have a few questions.

I currently use FrontPage to manage the Work webpage. No FP extensions or junk like that. Just a plain-o-website (lots of tables of course). How can I migrate a FP website over to Dream Weaver? Is it as simple as just opening up DW and editing my pages? I saw a link on DW's website to a converter wizard thing that would covert my FP site to DW, but I am really curious to hear others trials and tribulations with this and not the "company line".

Also, I have 4 Mac's. For DW, I would need to install them on two of my mac's. Since I am the only Mac user I know, besides you guys and a few friends who live way far away, can I install and run DW 8 on two seperate Mac's or do you have to buy two software boxes (one for each Mac). I am so use to the cool Mac software people who let you install the software on every Mac you own/use (Delicsious Library, SuperDuper!, etc.).
  • Reply 22 of 34
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    stop using frontpage. NOW. seriously. STOP USING FRONTPAGE. NOW.

whatever it takes, for chrissakes move to dreamweaver7 or 8 or pure handcoding

you will likely need two separate serial numbers for each computer. i have encountered problems with macromedia studio products where computers on the local network with the same srial number, not good. the first computer will use that serial and then the second one will be like, "BZTTT. sorry, someone opened that application already.. BZTT..."

you need not go the full hog to dreamweaver8 if you are just starting to learn dreamweaver, dreamweaver MX 2004 pro should be a nice solid robust package to cut your teeth on, and may be significantly cheaper than dreamweaver8 especially if you are buying 2 licenses IMO.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

stop using frontpage. NOW. seriously. STOP USING FRONTPAGE. NOW.

Yes! - but I would contend that FrontRage, GoEvil and DreamOnWeaver are all horrible for standards and maintenance. I have done web devel since 1995 and tried them all and have unequivically concluded that hand coding (with bbedit) is the ONLY RIGHT WAY. Validate your pages (w3.org). Learn proper XHTML 1.1 and CSS (w3schools.com). Make the web a better place.

Now back to the topic at hand - Flash 8 is the only thing worth it but only for web video since its the most cross platform - otherwise flash is evil. Perhaps Adobe will make it do SVG and promote the standard, then it wont be as evil.

So you can see that I equate proprietary formats and non-standards complience with evil. The worst form of web evil (wevil?) is using gifs and empty table cells for spacing - which dreamweaver has been the worst offender. Did you all know a small kitten is sacrificed every time you create a site with dreamweaver?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    well personally i am perfectly fine with dreamweaver and flash. handcoding and validation is all well and good if you're so inclined.

however goLive and FrontalNudityPage are all the tools of the devil. export to HTML from Word is absolute garbage as well.

everyone should use Flash 8 for everything! death to HTML!
  • Reply 25 of 34
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

well personally i am perfectly fine with dreamweaver and flash. handcoding and validation is all well and good if you're so inclined.

however goLive and FrontalNudityPage are all the tools of the devil. export to HTML from Word is absolute garbage as well.

everyone should use Flash 8 for everything! death to HTML!

Hey, hey lets not be hasty here. Flash is cool and all but do I really need a spinning chicken diving into a bowl of spaghetti to show that my form has been submitted?

Dreamweaver 8 is all right, I?ve been using it now for 4 days and I have to say it?s been a pretty nice experience. Still wish they would include a PHP debugger and code formatter. Looks like I?m keeping Zend for a while. Any body else jump up and down in their cubicle when they found out that pages open up in tabs and not individually. I?m mean how long has the windows counterpart be doing this. Anyway not a bad update, I bought it and will get plenty of use out of it.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Originally posted by Relic

... Any body else jump up and down in their cubicle when they found out that pages open up in tabs and not individually.....

shhhhh... don't tell too many mac people that dreamweaver on pc has been doing this for a while
  • Reply 27 of 34

....Flash is cool and all but do I really need a spinning chicken diving into a bowl of spaghetti to show that my form has been submitted?

hey, that's a great idea! NOT

<me going offtopic again>

OMFG iTunes5.0.1 ripping CDs on my athlon64 venice 2.4ghz is FAST !! this bodes very well for macintels. that was a flawless, seamless AAC encoding experience right there using SSE/etc optimisations. Accelerate.Framework on MacOSx86 is going to rock the house.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

....Flash is cool and all but do I really need a spinning chicken diving into a bowl of spaghetti to show that my form has been submitted?

hey, that's a great idea! NOT

<me going offtopic again>

OMFG iTunes5.0.1 ripping CDs on my athlon64 venice 2.4ghz is FAST !! this bodes very well for macintels. that was a flawless, seamless AAC encoding experience right there using SSE/etc optimisations. Accelerate.Framework on MacOSx86 is going to rock the house.

Yeah, but don't make to much noise about it the folks around these parts are still under the impression that the G5 is the cats meow. I recently convinced my company to purchase a Sun Java Workstation W2100z to replace my aging dual 1Ghz G4 Powermac, good God this thing is fast. Dual 2.6Ghz AMD Opteron with 2Gb of mem, it runs circles around my Dual 2.3 Ghz at home. I'm so impressed that I'll probably sell my G5 and buy one myself. To bad Apple doesn't sell OSX as a standalone product, oh well, I actually like Solari 10 so I guess it will have to suffice for right now.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Oh and for the record because someone recently questioned me on my loyalty for Apple machines and my never ending computer buying sprees. So I currently own,

Powermac G5 2.3Ghz, 4Gb mem, 2 72GB 10,000Rpm Sata Western Digital drives

Powerbook 12Inch G4 1.5Ghz, 1.25Gb mem, 60Gb 7200Rpm drive

HP Dual 3.2Ghz Xeon, 2Gb mem, 3 72GB 10,000Rpm Sata Western Digital drives, raid 5 with Promise card 128mb cache Vaaroooom! Gentoo Linux and Solaris 10 8086

Panasonic Tougbook CF-18, 1.1Ghz, 512Mb mem, 40Gb 5400Rpm drive, Windows XP, trying to get Ubuntu to work

Sun Blade 2000 Dual 900MHz ,2GB RAM, 2x36GB 10,000 Rpm, Solaris 10

SGI O2 400Mhz R12000, 1Gb mem, 2x36GB 10,000 Rpm (Ebay is cool), Irix 6.5 (even though it's only 400Mhz this thing is a rocket)

and I'll probably buy an OQO for pure geeking around.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I currently use FrontPage to manage the Work webpage.

Ewww... make sure you wash your hands before returning to anything else. Bad code cooties.

Quote:

Also, I have 4 Mac's. For DW, I would need to install them on two of my mac's. Since I am the only Mac user I know, besides you guys and a few friends who live way far away, can I install and run DW 8 on two seperate Mac's or do you have to buy two software boxes (one for each Mac). I am so use to the cool Mac software people who let you install the software on every Mac you own/use (Delicsious Library, SuperDuper!, etc.).

The license checking functions are active on the same network, if not just the same subnet.

While we cannot counsel means to circumvent such methods, it is possible you might trip over your network cable while trying to troubleshoot this problem, and solve it inadvertently, if only temporarily.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Originally posted by curiousuburb

The license checking functions are active on the same network, if not just the same subnet.While we cannot counsel means to circumvent such methods, it is possible you might trip over your network cable while trying to troubleshoot this problem, and solve it inadvertently, if only temporarily.

*sigh* good times with this... i mean BAD memories at a job in 2003.

me: okay so there are 3 people in the web dept

IT: okay cool we got budget for your upgrade

me: sweet!

me: here is a list, 3 copies of macromedia studio mx thanks

IT: cool, everything looks signed off, etc.

(1 month later)

IT: here are your 2 copies of macromedia studio mx! yay! enjoy!

me: wtf? there are 3 web design computers

IT: [typical IT f* up blank look]

me: ah, whatever. install install install... okay

me: ooh, 3 people using dreamweaver at once, ooh...licensing issues

me: um, IT, we will need to buy that official legit 3rd copy

(2 months later, lots of hair pulling, complaining to bosses, etc)

IT head: *death stare* here is the 3rd copy of macromedia studio mx

me: [mutters to myself] well, that's one relationship i killed within my first 3 months on the job

for the record, i quit after 11.5 months at that job

hopefully no offense to IT managers, dept personnel on appleInsider. most of y'all are l33t par excellance. my story here though is certainly not unique...
  • Reply 32 of 34
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

The license checking functions are active on the same network, if not just the same subnet.While we cannot counsel means to circumvent such methods, it is possible you might trip over your network cable while trying to troubleshoot this problem, and solve it inadvertently, if only temporarily.

*sigh* good times with this... i mean BAD memories at a job in 2003.

me: okay so there are 3 people in the web dept

IT: okay cool we got budget for your upgrade

me: sweet!

me: here is a list, 3 copies of macromedia studio mx thanks

IT: cool, everything looks signed off, etc.

(1 month later)

IT: here are your 2 copies of macromedia studio mx! yay! enjoy!

me: wtf? there are 3 web design computers

me: ah, whatever. install install install... okay

me: ooh, 3 people using dreamweaver at once, ooh...licensing issues

me: um, IT, we will need to buy that official legit 3rd copy

(2 months later, lots of hair pulling, complaining to bosses, etc)

IT head: *death stare* here is the 3rd copy of macromedia studio mx

me: [mutters to myself] well, that's one relationship i killed within my first 3 months on the job

for the record, i quit after 11.5 months at that job

hopefully no offense to IT managers, dept personnel on appleInsider. most of y'all are l33t par excellance. my story here though is certainly not unique...

Well, not to sound like a good two shoes, but I would have given you those three copies up front, straight away; sorry, I don't want my ass on the grill when it comes to a random licence audit, courtesy of our friends at the BSA.

Having seen the amount of wasted money on pointless crap that I see around offices, I'd say that paying for a legit copy of a piece of software is pretty damn small when it comes to the bigger things around the office.

Then again, with that being said, I'm now really stuck, I'm happy with GoLive! somewhat, but on the other side Studio 8 is a really nice package as well - which is probably a good thing; the products are so good, now its really hard to decide which one to use rather than being forced to use one because the others are so crappy, but the better one isn't that good anyway.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    yeah let's just say that i was working for a certain prominent non-profit organisation in that job in australia. my manager (not the IT dept head) helped me hound the IT department coz he was like, "this is the perfect scandal that the media would feast upon" should a software audit be done and this particular organisation came up short. no it was not the BSA australia itself where i was working at though that would be hilarious if tons of people at BSA were using pirated software !!!
  • Reply 34 of 34
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

yeah let's just say that i was working for a certain prominent non-profit organisation in that job in australia. my manager (not the IT dept head) helped me hound the IT department coz he was like, "this is the perfect scandal that the media would feast upon" should a software audit be done and this particular organisation came up short. no it was not the BSA australia itself where i was working at though that would be hilarious if tons of people at BSA were using pirated software !!!

Smart manager; I don't know what the IT guys had to get out of being a tight ass, in regards to not authorising the purchase; they should know the consequences of using pirated software, especially if you turned around and told the BSA auditor that your IT department told you to install it onto another computer, thus exceeding the licence number - believe me, your IT people would have been in alot of shit, considering that all trained IT people are given education on licences and licencing policies.