But hope and history won't rhyme

So what's it worth

This peace on Earth

Peace on Earth

Peace on Earth

Peace on Earth
  • Reply 22 of 28
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It took us about 4 hours to get from Houston to Austin, just a tiny bit longer than one would normally expect using the back roads we did.

We had a friend who left the same time we did who was determined to take the official "evacuation route"... 21 hours.
  • Reply 23 of 28

what a disappointment.

not even a drop of rain...
  • Reply 24 of 28
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

what a disappointment.

not even a drop of rain...

well, you could have been in lake charles. they had plenty of drops they could spare you.

you know, these past two years have been nuts with hurricanes. the florida-four last year (which also includes ivan, which freaked everyone in louisiana out... but it was a blessing, because the evacuation was SO bad, they actually DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT and had the contraflows up and running better, earlier, and further up the interstates. still, it was no walk in the park, but much, much better than last year), and this year cindy (a tropical storm that loosened a LOT up in louisiana), katrina and rita.

i have to assume we'll be seeing another ferocious season next year... just when the gulf coast will be getting its feet under it again.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i have to assume we'll be seeing another ferocious season next year... just when the gulf coast will be getting its feet under it again.

That's what's expected but, then-again, the predictions were for a lighter season this year than last, which was not the case. I read some articles about hurricane patterns, and supposedly the consensus is that it's not global warming, since the rest of the world (there are other hurricane basins) aren't having big seasons. Hopefully we'll be sliding back into normalcy.

As they say down here. . . "Hurricanes blow."
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

That's what's expected but, then-again, the predictions were for a lighter season this year than last, which was not the case. I read some articles about hurricane patterns, and supposedly the consensus is that it's not global warming, since the rest of the world (there are other hurricane basins) aren't having big seasons. Hopefully we'll be sliding back into normalcy.

Actually according to most climate experts I have seen interviewed we can expect two more decades of intense hurricane seasons.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Sometimes they suck, too.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

RE: thinking a gun is a good idea.

I remember watching photos during and after Katrina: during, there was a guy seated in front of a wharehouse with a gun and a sign saying 'we shoot looters' . . . later, a couple of days, I saw a picture of that same wharehouse burned to the ground . . . I can only guess what happened to the proud man with his gun . . .

Having the means to defend oneself does not make most people more confontational, rather more humble and thick-skinned. When you realize that you cannot control how confrontations escalate, and how costly a big confrontation is, you don't want to enter even a small argument. This guy belongs to a minority.
    Quote:

I recommend that if you feel that you need a gun in a situation where you might be alone with some rough folks, don't show it and count on it as a scare device

Yeah. No point escalating the situation, and on the other hand, losing the element of surprise if you end up having to use force.

Neither of these points are specifically about guns, of course.