Up for making some money?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hey everyone well the last few months I have set aside a few thousand dollars and decided if I didn?t risk it I would not make anything out of it. So I invested my money in Intel and Comcast. Intel I am sure will be growing but I am doubting Comcast, although they are the gamers favorite down here in Miami with blazing speeds and over that they provide high definition Digital cable their stock is not as healthy, I have been seeing Verison trying to jump in the game and everyone i know has been dieing for them to finally leave their testing grounds (Orlando, Fl) and come down to Miami. from what we have heard they will be providing telephone service, high speed internet over fiber and digital cable, as you all know they are already in the game with wireless communications. I have also been contemplating whether or not I should buy stock in Microsoft or not, as you know they are bringing out Vista and I am sure that?s going to bump up their stock for a while, or at least long enough to jump on and ride it to its peak which should be a good 10 dollars plus per stock. So what do you all think? Should I keep Comcast? Or go with someone else? By the way if you post please note whether you are an investor, investor with expreience or have never invested before. thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Slow and steady wins the race. Average in over time. Make regular contributions to a broad portfolio. Consider investing in socially conscious mutual funds. These focus on companies that don't exploit their workers (or any others) and do well by the environment.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Do half of them companies which you have a personal interest in, and the other half blue chips that have been proven as doing well in the past.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I have never invested, but Comcast should be good to stay with. The cable headed into their subscribers' homes has a lot of potential left for it. They will probably be doing big things in the next several years.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Comcast has a wireless division?!

How long ago did you invest?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    comcast does not do wireless its verison that does. Does anyone have any advice when investing in currencies?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    oh, Verizon... I didn't see the correct spelling of the company when I was skimming so I didn't realize you weren't talking about Comcast anymore...

With their new EV-DO network they will definitely provide competition for some broadband providers in certain areas of cities...

Google is looking to get in the ISP game eventually as well... busy sector in the coming years.

I'd look to more diversified fields with mutual funds and stuff... It is too easy to get burned with individual companies.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    aside from my more conservative mutual fund and slow-moving portfolio, i have a brokerage acct w/ 3 stocks. aapl, goog, msft. apple, cuz i love and they are doing really great stuff with lots on the horizon; google, cuz they are constantly coming out with new stuff, that everyone loves (much like apple has for some time); msft, cuz it'll be decades before that giant comes down, and i suspect it'll move by momentum for a while anyway. and i like the idea of owning just a tiny piece of the pie that ol' gatesy can't touch.

i'm not a seasoned investor. its real money, and probably too much. i've been lucky in the passed though. i dont plan to sell anything unless its been owned for atleast a year, barring some horrible accident.

the trick to making money is either to (a) get lucky, or (b) play the slow game with mutual funds. so i put most of it in (b), and dabble in (a).