Which antivirus

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am looking into getting antivirus for my mac. As i said in another thread, if .mac has it, i will do that but otherwise i have to choose.

The two main ones i know are McAffee Virex and Norton Antivirus. The price for it at student prices is Norton: 50 (but maybe 30 with rebate) and Virex: ~40.

Which one would you suggest?

PLEASE do not post that i don't need it or anything like that. I want it because there are infected files going around on the school's email and i don;t want to pass it along.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Alright, how about that both products are buggy pieces of crap that are more likely to cause stability problems than anything else?

Avoid anything with 'Norton' or 'Symantec' on the box. They have a *HORRENDOUS* track record on MacOS X. If you insist on spending your money, go with Virex.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    That's like buying flood insurance when you live on top of a mountain.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Get ClamAV if you really want some antivirus. It's free, small, unobtrusive, and powerful. Don't shell out a red cent to those snake oil peddlers.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
  • Reply 5 of 16
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

I am looking into getting antivirus for my mac. As i said in another thread, if .mac has it, i will do that but otherwise i have to choose.

The two main ones i know are McAffee Virex and Norton Antivirus. The price for it at student prices is Norton: 50 (but maybe 30 with rebate) and Virex: ~40.

Which one would you suggest?

PLEASE do not post that i don't need it or anything like that. I want it because there are infected files going around on the school's email and i don;t want to pass it along.

Darling, the only thing that passes along viruses is Outlook, and as long as you're not one of the many dickheads that may even contemplate running Outlook on a PC, you're not going to be the cause of any virus outbreaks.

Considering that most virus that spread at either vbs or exectuables, you've got bucklies chance of it happening.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Alright, how about that both products are buggy pieces of crap that are more likely to cause stability problems than anything else?

Avoid anything with 'Norton' or 'Symantec' on the box. They have a *HORRENDOUS* track record on MacOS X. If you insist on spending your money, go with Virex.

Couldnt agree more. Thats what sucks about using PC so much. If you dont have the protection you get nailed with viruses etc. and if you do have it, it makes an unstable PC even more unstable (is that possible?).

So glad to be typing on a Mac now and hopefully not have to worry anytime soon.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghostboa

Couldnt agree more. Thats what sucks about using PC so much. If you dont have the protection you get nailed with viruses etc. and if you do have it, it makes an unstable PC even more unstable (is that possible?).

So glad to be typing on a Mac now and hopefully not have to worry anytime soon.

Then again, if you don't rely on mainstream applications like Adobe and Macromedia, you're better off purchasing a book, knuckling down for a few days and learn how to use FreeBSD, Solaris or Linux.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Haha figures you hit right on what I use most. I am always working with Adobe Photoshop and Macromedia Flash and Dreamweaver.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghostboa

Haha figures you hit right on what I use most. I am always working with Adobe Photoshop and Macromedia Flash and Dreamweaver.

Have you given GoLive! a go, its not actually too bad now; its now actually tolerable, and the HTML it pukes out isn't that crap when compared to other commercial offerings.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bobo28bobo28 Posts: 59member
    According to Norton Antivirus , I actually downloaded a worm from the iTunes music store in a song ! The program quarantined it.. I sent a copy to Apple, asking them what gives? That was 8 days ago. So far, no answer. Is this a first? Buggy Norton program ? Can't wait to see what Apple has to say! If its true, maybe "snake oil sales man " deserves a second look? If not. . . well, throw out the program?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bobo28

According to Norton Antivirus , I actually downloaded a worm from the iTunes music store in a song ! The program quarantined it.. I sent a copy to Apple, asking them what gives? That was 8 days ago. So far, no answer. Is this a first? Buggy Norton program ? Can't wait to see what Apple has to say! If its true, maybe "snake oil sales man " deserves a second look? If not. . . well, throw out the program?

Thats really weird!!! what song ??
  • Reply 12 of 16
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    The Worm. Audioslave.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    The anti-virus program is probably lying to make it seem like they are "protecting" you.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwai

Have you given GoLive! a go, its not actually too bad now; its now actually tolerable, and the HTML it pukes out isn't that crap when compared to other commercial offerings.

Hmm havent tried GoLive! yet. Do you prefer it over DW?

I might have to look into it and give it a shot.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Does Symantec AV for OS X plug-into corporate Symantec AV servers for downloads and updates? My IT Dept is using Symantec AV for its PC desktops. All updates come from an internal Symantec AV server on our LAN to the PC clients. Can Symantec AV for OS X desktops tap into it?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    As far as I know it go's through live update or manually, only, so the updates come Symantec and yes, it works across a LAN. I have no experience with the resent PC version. Is this what you mean?