The red curtains = Home theatre box

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If you look at most movie theatres they all have curtains around them to dampen sound and make the place look nice. My local theatre's just so happen to be red. I doubt it will be an 'iPod video', the movie companies would not allow DVD's to be ripped just yet as we rip CD's. And as so many have said, who'd wanna watch a movie on a small screen or bother to upload a movie to the iPod. The red curtains on the invite = home theatre.

I think Apple will introduce a home theatre box that has:

? Dual layer DVD recorder with timer and tuner like your vcr

? 160gig harddrive to record onto then burn to DVD if you choose to, and store your iTunes library on it, also has iTunes type-app built.

? USB and Firewire to hookup your iPod to update your library and send your movies to your mac to edit in iMovie, etc

? Airport or ethernet to update the iTunes app and surf itunes music store.

? Video/component outputs with video inputs to get those video tapes to DVD

? Stereo AND surround sound audio outputs

Of course there are plenty of DVD recorders on the market already, but Apple will take it one step further with a few bells and whistles.

Oooh what's the bet Spielberg, Mark Burnet and Bruckhiemer are in the promo videos AND walk up onstage!

So there you go, that's what I think, as usual pure speculation, but we're allowed to aren't we!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    A DVD recording device just as we're about to get high definition and bigger capacity optical disks? I don't think so. The rest is possible. The hard disk could cache stuff that is currently far too heavy to stream directly, wirelessly, from computer.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    True. Forgot about Steve and his quest to bring HD to the masses.

It will be a blu-ray based box then, backward compatible and recordable with DVD media.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    I really love the idea. In fact, you dismiss the Video iPod but then suggest its perfect companion.

I envision the same thing except with two models: the i and the Power. One is similar to what you describe, minus perhaps burning DVDs or HD. The Power would be higher end but also sync with a video iPod. Compressed versions of your TV shows, etc. could be transfered to any TV (via cables), computer, etc.

Not all on October 12 of course.

Anyways, my point is I think a video iPod would only be useful if combined with what you're suggesting.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Bose Lifestyle 48 system.

This is turning out to be a great first step for Bose. It is a surround sound system, CD/DVD, AM/FM Stereo, and has a HD for storing 350 hours of music.

After review, it turns out the encoding is porprietary and the price tag is high, but if they add PVR to this, it is the perfect machine. It already has the Harddrive.

Apple should do something like this. Give it wireless and 6 speaker surround sound and be done with capturing the living room. Apple could then add a dock for the the iPod or Video iPod and really have something great.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    ..... and that would explain those video ipod pictures - it was the remote control!
  • Reply 6 of 47
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    on wednesday will be launched apple's:

1. first projection device, and,

2. an updated Airport Express

the combination will allow keynote presentations as well as movies to be shown wirelessly.

it will not be a video iPod. and not a hard-disk.

just like the iPod came before iTunes Music Store, in this case also apple will introduce hardware that is best in class and believe that if they build it, the movie studios will come.

starting with pixar, which is being released from disney distribution connection.

the mac is the digital hub.

• Reply 7 of 47
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BIgFella

..... and that would explain those video ipod pictures - it was the remote control!

And something like this is what it will control:

• Reply 8 of 47
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think the home media device is going to be a big hit when it hit's, and Apple needs to out do Microsoft quickly to do it. The Xbox 360 has a lot of online features including it's own store and connectivity to Media PC XP, or whatever it is when they do it. Having iTunes is the fist step, but they do need to launch it before Xbox 360 to gain mass market approval, and they need to out do what Microsoft can potentially unleash with the 360's connectivity to their media PC's, and Media OS. If they miss out on this boat it is pretty much curtains for them because that gaming device does everything practically. (potentially it can do everything) I'd say your on to something that has been overlooked. Apple needs to beat M$ to the punch because the 360 all alone out there will be the biggest selling, and talked about item for the rest of the year starting Nov 22. Unless Apple does something to get a box into your home space that can compete with the hottest gaming device that doubles as a PVR, and has an online store with an upgradable online menu you can bet Microsoft will walk away the home space just like Apple has the portable music device.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Couldn't agree more.

Like it or not, the writing is on the wall that the next battle in computer won't be fought on the desktop or in portables, but rather in the living room. The iPod, in some ways, is a living room device. iTunes and the iTMS certainly are (that's where I listen to most my music via Airport Express to the home stereo).

Apple needs to compete in that space, there are 1,000 players including media companies, cable/satellite companies, traditional home-electronics companies, and of course Microsoft and Sony. While a crowded field, Apple has the advantage because of the iPod's MASSIVE marketshare. An Apple device in the living room with music & movies done with Apple elegance would be a hit. As long as there is content. Hopefully Apple has worked something out to really surprise us.

I'm not suggesting Apple make a game machine, but when you look at the Xbox 360 and its abilities, you have to wonder how long it would be for each XBox 360 owner to give up their iPod in favor of a Windows Media based device that works better with their Xbox? Same thing with Sony, the PS3 and PSP combo (and more). If you get me listening to music at home, managing playlists, and buying songs via an interface on my HDTV, you've got me to the point that I want a portable device that can replicate that experience. Apple needs to get into video/photos/music in the digital living room not just because it would be cool or is a key market for their growth, but most importantly to DEFEND the iPod.

I love Apple, I use all Apple computers and own 3 iPods. Sometimes, even I'm envious of a Windows machine with Media Center. Music, Photos, Movies, all in my living room with a remote control? that sounds like the 21st century.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    This is the device I am hoping and praying for.

Screw a vPod and a tiny screen.

Not excited about Macs with the current processors. Didn't jobs all but say they suck now?

Would love to see a modular Mac mini form factor setup.

Sort of a Tivo like device. A module with Blu-ray could come latter.

One of the modules can be like a breakout box with all the audio and video connections you can think of.

THIS is exciting.

A 80 GB regular iPod or a Maddona iPod just ain't going to cut it.

Neither will Macs unless they were Intel based which just will not happen until MWSF and the very earliest.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    BTW - you should not use red curtains in a theater, it changes the colors on the screen because of light that gets reflected back.

Everything in your theater should be black (except, possibly, the screen - although Sony has a black screen that you can buy). Black curtains, black painted walls, black leather couches, black carpet, black clothes, and (if your genetics allow) black skin.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    iveive Posts: 23member
    HD video projector is the way to go.

No big displays/tv's from Apple, just a small mac mini form device.

It's big for consumers in the livingroom, bedroom etc.

Video out on your iPod, buying on iTMS.

Companies, easy to carry with you, with your powerbook and Keynote software.

Wifi on the projector, dvd disk in your mac and stream it to the projector.

Also the movies you stream from the iTMS store.

Bluetooth speakers for sound, internal battery.

(also nice in combination for the new iPod with bluetooth)

Remote controls the beamer, speakers and the computer.

The complete home system without topset boxes.

Also this special event is always for consumers!

So the curtains tell enough. (same with the jeans-pocket on the iPod nano card)
  • Reply 13 of 47
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    maybe this is the oft mentioned apple projector? rumors circulated a while ago at one which was groundbreaking; easy to set-up and cheap(ish)
  • Reply 14 of 47
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Sport73, I wasn't sure if you were referring to me, but I didn't mean to imply that Apple get into the Gaming arena. I may have gotten tongue tied talking about the 360. I was just expressing that they need a Media Center of some sort to compete with what the 360 will be offering, but not games. The 360 will do a lot more than just game, and being that it's online, software, and hardware upgradable, and probably will be the future of Microsoft's home media center, and it has such incredible features right off the bat besides just the games; it will be a behemoth to overcome, or even keep pace with later. THey should be on to this now is my point, and I really hope they do have something for the home on the 12th.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    They're going to pull the red curtains and reveal:

A .mac update!

Now with 300MBs of storage.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    .Mac+Mega Mouse with 1 button!
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

The 360 will do a lot more than just game, and being that it's online, software, and hardware upgradable, and probably will be the future of Microsoft's home media center, and it has such incredible features right off the bat besides just the games; it will be a behemoth to overcome, or even keep pace with later.

Just what are the "awesome features" you're talking about, and what makes the thing good for something besides games?

There's no HD-DVD. It will need a Windows Media Center PC running nearby (how many people have one?), and because there is no hard drive, I suppose it will need serious network speed for the streaming to work. Third party software can't be run freely. Most P2P shared video might be unwatchable because the XBox360 would need to explicitly support the formats to be able to stream from the WMCPC.

The whole package sounds so unwieldy for the majority of people, I wouldn't worry about it. PS3 has the Blu-Ray drive and could possibly allow Linux and standard open media players to run, which would have potential to change things. They could even slam MythTV in the default install in the hard drive package. But it remains to be seen, and in any case is a lot farther away.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

.Mac+Mega Mouse with 1 button!

Mouse mini: the ultimate AIO. Computer, braille display and mouse all in one.

OK, gotta have some sleep now 8)
  • Reply 19 of 47
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    What if Apple decided to just team up with sony on the PS3 and make that the media hub device and have apple make all the goodies to get stuff around?
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:

D video projector is the way to go.

No big displays/tv's from Apple, just a small mac mini form device.

It's big for consumers in the livingroom, bedroom etc.

Video out on your iPod, buying on iTMS.

Companies, easy to carry with you, with your powerbook and Keynote software.

Wifi on the projector, dvd disk in your mac and stream it to the projector.

Also the movies you stream from the iTMS store.

Bluetooth speakers for sound, internal battery.

(also nice in combination for the new iPod with bluetooth)

Remote controls the beamer, speakers and the computer.

The complete home system without topset boxes.

Also this special event is always for consumers!

So the curtains tell enough. (same with the jeans-pocket on the iPod nano card)

I love this idea. No behemoth plasma/lcd from apple. And you can go as large as you want. But, you need a darkened room for it to work, right? Not practical for some homes/apartments.