Are catastrophes way up, or is it just me?

rokrok
Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
seriously, is it just me, or does it seem we are averaging a LOT of "once in a lifetime catastrophic events" per year lately? last year's florida-four (ivan, jeanne, charles and frances), this year's katrina and rita, the tsunami late last year, now an earthquake killing at least 18,000 in pakistan and climbing, supposedly the avian flu coming (or at least more likely), etc., etc., etc. heck, you can even crank it back to sept 11th and start couting things that could be considered high on the "whoa" scale.

anyone care to make us a graph? when do we get to "plague of frogs" and "river of blood"?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Payback is a bitch.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Oh, it can get worse.

How about asteroid 2004 MN4? Fortunately, its only about 320 meters in diameter- big, but not dinosaur-killer big.

"On April 13, 2029, 2004 MN4 will be about 22,600 miles (36,350 kilometers) from Earth's center. That is just below the altitude of geosynchronous satellites."

Yes you read that correctly, it will between the Earth and some of our satellites.

"The flyby will change the orbit of the asteroid and create "a low, but real possibility" that it will return to hit Earth seven years later on April 13, 2036, Schweickart advised."

"Schweickart lays out one scenario -- again, the odds of such a result are very small -- in which 2004 MN4 hits the Pacific Ocean, about 680 miles (1,100 kilometers) off the Southern California coast. The entire western coastline of the United States would experience a devastating tsunami, resulting in billions of dollars worth of damage, Schweickart says."

Feel better about today?

http://www.space.com/news/050519_asteroid_mission.html
  • Reply 3 of 43
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    pterodactyls. no one is considering them.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

pterodactyls. no one is considering them.

Actually, someone is.

http://www.spamusement.com
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Well, shit. My other hobby horse is this:

TRAINS.

As someone who was nearly blown up in London on 7/7, I have become increasingly concerned that the American anti-terrorism whatsits have not considered the possibility that the terrorists might hijack a train and drive it into a building. Or maybe drive it into an offshore drilling rig.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:

TRAINS.

As someone who was nearly blown up in London on 7/7, I have become increasingly concerned that the American anti-terrorism whatsits have not considered the possibility that the terrorists might hijack a train and drive it into a building. Or maybe drive it into an offshore drilling rig.

Drive a train off-shore?

That would be something.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

"...a low, but real possibility" that it will return to hit Earth seven years later on April 13, 2036....

The entire western coastline of the United States would experience a devastating tsunami, resulting in billions of dollars worth of damage,..."

Note to self: Don't live in California in April 2036.

Let's hope we can evacuate everyone in time.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I blame 24/7 news media.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I've got the best one just a couple hours away from me: The Yellowstone Supervolcano. The whole park is one big volcano. It blew 2 million years ago, another 1 million years ago, and again 650,000 years ago. I think we're due. And when it goes again, goodbye everyone in the Western half of the US and a good chunk of Canada and Mexico.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    That discovery channel thing was awesome.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    I agree, the Discovery channel movie "Supervolcano" was really good. It was one of the best disaster movies I've ever seen. Scary that it actually has a basis in reality. Worth a watch, especially if you've got HDTV.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Oh, it can get worse.

How about asteroid 2004 MN4? Fortunately, its only about 320 meters in diameter- big, but not dinosaur-killer big.

"On April 13, 2029, 2004 MN4 will be about 22,600 miles (36,350 kilometers) from Earth's center. That is just below the altitude of geosynchronous satellites."

Yes you read that correctly, it will between the Earth and some of our satellites.

"The flyby will change the orbit of the asteroid and create "a low, but real possibility" that it will return to hit Earth seven years later on April 13, 2036, Schweickart advised."

"Schweickart lays out one scenario -- again, the odds of such a result are very small -- in which 2004 MN4 hits the Pacific Ocean, about 680 miles (1,100 kilometers) off the Southern California coast. The entire western coastline of the United States would experience a devastating tsunami, resulting in billions of dollars worth of damage, Schweickart says."

Feel better about today?

http://www.space.com/news/050519_asteroid_mission.html

The fact that the figure is in dollars must say something about the human race right now.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Note to self: Don't live in California in April 2036.

Let's hope we can evacuate everyone in time.

It'll be like Deep Impact but with less Morgan Freeman.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:

TRAINS.

RESPECT
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I blame 24/7 news media.

I blame Canada.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I blame Canada.

Just Quebec.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I've got the best one just a couple hours away from me: The Yellowstone Supervolcano. The whole park is one big volcano. It blew 2 million years ago, another 1 million years ago, and again 650,000 years ago. I think we're due. And when it goes again, goodbye everyone in the Western half of the US and a good chunk of Canada and Mexico.

I was watching a show on that - they said that the hotspot is moving west under the mountains, and is now less of a danger because of the thicker rock.

I am waiting for the Cascadia Megathrust, which is a pending richter 9.5 earthquake that will destroy Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle and Portland some time in the next 500 years (but it could be tomorrow). The last quake was in 1700, and they occur every 200-800 years.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

The fact that the figure is in dollars must say something about the human race right now.

Oh, like you don't know the net worth of your family [/irony].
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Just Quebec.

Just Quebecois. Speak real French.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Going back to ROK?s original question to the masses, yes, I to think the world is going to hell in a hand basket. More floods, earthquakes and just plain chaos then I can remember in my entire feeble attempt at life. If anything (not sure good) it shows how incompetent and unorganized or government really is, maybe this is going to be a wake up call for a lot of us. Which reminds me I?m late; the seventh seal has to be opened, well if you excuse me.