Analysts expects new iPods, Macs at special event

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    apple doesn't hold a conference for speed bumps - they just update their site.

i think it has to be something iPod related [unless the mactel is being released way ahead of schedule].

i would hope to see a video ipod with a slightly larger screen and the nano wheel. if you want to view movies on the iPod, fine, you can squint for the 3 hour flight. If you could plug it into a tv and play movies [while charging] that would be ideal.

If a UMD is 1.8 gig, an 80 gig iPod could hold 40 movies AND still have room for 2,000 songs.

an iMovie store isn't too far fetched. ever hear of movielink.com? [who sux w/ no mac support]

people complain that it takes forever to download a movie, but it's done everyday.

high definition is unlikely. i can't imagine storing HD resolution on an ipod, or packing in the hardware to view it - at least not at a price anyone would pay.

it's all rumors and speculation, but i would love to be able to hook up a video ipod to my tv and use it like a tivo, but i don't think that's coming on wednesday. still, wouldn't it be nice to have an apple version of tivo that you can plug an ipod into?
  • Reply 42 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eAi

Theres quite a bit of competition in this field, particularily from the PSP. As a secondary feature with a public API, I can see lots of posibilities, but at the same time Apple would be wary of doing this as it would open the device up for hacks - unless they could use Java or somthing to keep the applications seperate from the device and other apps.

Also, one of the strong points of the iPod is that it has focused on playing music, and doing it well. The input device for the ipod - the click wheel - isn't really suited to many game types, I honestly can't see Apple moving into the gaming area, without doing it seriously. Developing a games console requires prior warning - years - to get developers to develop games for it.

I see video content a much more likely announcement, as I've outlined in previous posts.

Do you know how many hacks are out for the iPods now? Many dozens.

Not only does that already include quite a few games, but at least two versions of Linux as well. Plus programs to run on it. There are laser pointers, LED flashlights, TV controllers, etc. Apple doesn't discourage any of this even though, at this point, they don't actively encourage it either.

The wheel works VERY well as a game controller. I've tried it. Others on game sites have come to the same conclusion.

Allowing it to play games won't degrade its ability to play music in the slightest. None of the other functionality that Apple has added over the years has either.

I believe that Apple has always planned bigger things for the iPods than we've seen. They keep adding features as the technology allows. As memory gets cheaper they add more. As LCD's get cheaper and better they upgrade them. As processors get faster they upgrade those as well. For what reason? To play music no better than they did before?. No way. Apple has in mind a far more central plan for this.

But they couldn't do it without the corresponding technologies. As they come, they are added.

They aren't adding FM tuners because very few seem to want them and it costs more to add chips for that, but they add to the internal software and hardware where newer versions of the chips they already use have added functions.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Nobody's talking about the pink Madonna Special Edition iPod nano? Sounds like a simple answer to the "One more thing..." question to me. A month ago they shocked everyone with this amazing new device, and here's one more version of it.

I'm still hoping for new Mac upgrades, and I've been waiting for a video-enabled Airport Express since the original one came out. But Jobs's negative comments on a video iPod are too recent, in my mind, to 180 on us now.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Nobody's talking about the pink Madonna Special Edition iPod nano? Sounds like a simple answer to the "One more thing..." question to me.

That's certainly plausible. When they announced the nano, Madonna's library was released on the iTMS. They videoconferenced with her in Europe. They may have originally intended on having here there to release the special edition nano, but because she'd injured herself a week or so before she wasn't up to it. Now she may be feeling better and up to being on stage to release her iPod.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    zedraczedrac Posts: 42member
    I really hope not...what a let down that would be for all of us
  • Reply 46 of 50
    The event is for the new iPod Dock which feature the changeable adaptor as seen included with the iPod nano.

• Reply 47 of 50
    After reading this and many other threads and news stories about whats going to happen on october 12, i'll give my 2 pence.

Now look at the invitation, in the background it has theatre curtains which you would usually see in a CINEMA, cinema=movies. Ok yeah, the curtains are where the annaouncement will be, but they havent done that for any other invitations have they?

Also, the line says 'One More Thing' now this might be a shock to people... but the meaning of it is 1. i.e, one, first, 1st, 1. Got it?

Good.

Also as there has never been so much speculation about this event, even though the facts are in our face, i dont believe for one second that all of this will only be for an 80GB smaler iPod. That will be absolutely pointless. An invitations showing theatre curtains as a big hint and we get an 80GB slightly smaller iPod? Bollocks.

And there will be updates to the Power PC line, bt why would there be a major announcement for dual core power pc macs? There's no point as the Mac's will be moving over to Intel next year anyway.

Now everyone's saying of how video is premature for the ipod, how its pointless at the minute and how the ipod is only for music. NO-ONE has even mentioned photos. The iPod has already not had music as its only feature, photo has been there for a year, and no one minds photos are there, and im sure that people wont when video is there too. Jut because its video doesnt mean that every single person will be using video. And im sure that there will be a product called iPod Video which will be seperate from the other iPod, like how iPod Photo was, until it was the norm back in june, and thats probably goin to happen again around june next year.

So all in all, i hope to have an iPod Video by the year end.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by SuperVpod

After reading this and many other threads and news stories about whats going to happen on october 12, i'll give my 2 pence.

Now look at the invitation, in the background it has theatre curtains which you would usually see in a CINEMA, cinema=movies. Ok yeah, the curtains are where the annaouncement will be, but they havent done that for any other invitations have they?

Also, the line says 'One More Thing' now this might be a shock to people... but the meaning of it is 1. i.e, one, first, 1st, 1. Got it?

Good.

Also as there has never been so much speculation about this event, even though the facts are in our face, i dont believe for one second that all of this will only be for an 80GB smaler iPod. That will be absolutely pointless. An invitations showing theatre curtains as a big hint and we get an 80GB slightly smaller iPod? Bollocks.

And there will be updates to the Power PC line, bt why would there be a major announcement for dual core power pc macs? There's no point as the Mac's will be moving over to Intel next year anyway.

Now everyone's saying of how video is premature for the ipod, how its pointless at the minute and how the ipod is only for music. NO-ONE has even mentioned photos. The iPod has already not had music as its only feature, photo has been there for a year, and no one minds photos are there, and im sure that people wont when video is there too. Jut because its video doesnt mean that every single person will be using video. And im sure that there will be a product called iPod Video which will be seperate from the other iPod, like how iPod Photo was, until it was the norm back in june, and thats probably goin to happen again around june next year.

So all in all, i hope to have an iPod Video by the year end.

Well!

I say, old man, don't be shy. Come out with it.

We can take it.

Welcome to the slightly dysfunctional family that we are here.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Apple could easily deploy an iPod video without sales infatructure for feature films. The iPod was launched long before the iTunes Music Store and before even iTunes existed for Windows!

There is plenty of iPod video content already available too, including music videos and video podcasts. Feature film stuff is still a bit far off though. Hell, ripping a DVD I owned so I could take it on an airplane without the disc took forever. And while I did shrink it down to a CD-sized H264 file, I doubt an iPod has the CPU power to play it at native resolution.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Apple could easily deploy an iPod video without sales infatructure for feature films. The iPod was launched long before the iTunes Music Store and before even iTunes existed for Windows!

There is plenty of iPod video content already available too, including music videos and video podcasts. Feature film stuff is still a bit far off though. Hell, ripping a DVD I owned so I could take it on an airplane without the disc took forever. And while I did shrink it down to a CD-sized H264 file, I doubt an iPod has the CPU power to play it at native resolution.

If we go to ThinkSecret we see that now they are predicting what the WSJ has been saying: no video iPod.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0510oct12c.html