Alias (MAYA) was bought by a company who refuses to make Mac compatibie apps.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Autodesk aquires Alias

Are you one of the people who have emailed these guy's to ask if they will ever Make AutoCAD, or 3D Studio Max - Mac compatible? Are you interested in Making Games, or interested in CAD design for a career? If you are then you have probably received the most rude email reply ever on the subject.

These fu**ers are so anti Mac it isn't even funny. They may have changed that email as of today, or yesterday because of the bad publicity they would get after this announcement, but They would chew your a$$ out for using a Mac to begin with, and tell you your an idiot for buying one in the first place. There is no good happenings to come from this acquisition make no mistake about it. 3D on the Mac just died so forget about needing that Pro level QuadroFX from Nvidia on a Mac, and just do what they always wanted. Buy your @ss a PC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    This won't stop them from making Mac apps, seeing as Alias already has a workable suite of Mac applications and their accompanying source code, while Autodesk hasn't tried. There's no reason Alias is going to stop simply because it's a division of Autodesk; Mac sales account for over 30% of their income.

Also, Autodesk might decide to port their apps once the switch to Intel is complete.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Maya is dead.

Apple pull your head out of your ass and buy Luxology you freakin' iPod lovin' dolts.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

This won't stop them from making Mac apps, seeing as Alias already has a workable suite of Mac applications and their accompanying source code, while Autodesk hasn't tried. There's no reason Alias is going to stop simply because it's a division of Autodesk; Mac sales account for over 30% of their income.

Also, Autodesk might decide to port their apps once the switch to Intel is complete.

Hmm...I dunno. As onlooker and hmurchison have pointed out, these guys are so hellbent on not supporting Mac that they may kill the Mac development of Maya right off the bat even if the source code for the Mac version is alive and working.

That said, I agree with hmurchison, Apple should buy modo...the interface isn't Pro-like but close enough and sexy enough to keep as-is. I haven't personally used it but it's gotten really good reviews...and I believe 'em after looking at what it can do on Luxology's site.

And they say their port to x86 Macs took 20 minutes (very hard to believe)...so their code must be extremely clean. Surely they got the basics running and the rest took a few weeks....but whatever...they say it's ported and that's all that matters.

• Reply 4 of 15
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Discreet is my least favorite company to deal with. I also think their products are a terrible investment.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    lucylucy Posts: 44member
    Autodesk is not so much anti-mac as they are pro-windows. Much of their software, specifically 3DSmax and AutoCAD incorporate too many Windows technologies to be reasonably ported to the Macintosh. If they were to rewrite these programs from the ground up, then they might be able to create sister programs for the Mac, but short of such a rewrite it is not reasonable for their profit margins that they port to the Macintosh.

Also of note is that Autodesk owns Discreet, and still produces software for the Macintosh, specifically (almost?) all of the software with the Discreet name on it, and Cleaner.

I'm not saying Autodesk definitely won't kill Maya for the Mac, but I suspect that they make enough profit off of it that it will stick around for a while. The main reason Maya for the Macintosh would go away would because Maya was killed in favor of 3DSmax, likely under the guise of combining the two. (There are good, profit-related, reasons for them not to do this as many of the users of Maya chose it instead of 3DSmax, and would rather transition to XSI than 3DSmax.)
  • Reply 6 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lucy

Also of note is that Autodesk owns Discreet, and still produces software for the Macintosh, specifically (almost?) all of the software with the Discreet name on it, and Cleaner.

Um. 3dsmax was from Discreet and evidently does not run on Mac OS X.

Cleaner is an exception, granted, (I think Combustion is another, not sure).

And what hmurchison said.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lucy

sigh... repeat after me: cleaner is dead.

it has been for a while. they fired the whole damn programming team. it hasn't had an update in eons. and it won't. period. richard harrington, dv guru and regular contribuotr to mac design/layers magazine said as much at the recent mac design conference in tampa, as he said not to give these people any more of your money. they don't deserve it, and no one on that team deserved what happened to them, and a great product has been left to die of starvation and neglect.

maya 7 may be the last update we see for a long, long time.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    If Apple were to buy Mayas competition, as some here proposed, they would do the same thing as you *THINK* AD is gunna do with Maya...so what is the problem? and WHERE THE FUCK IS Logic7 pro for WINDOWS XP???? BASTARDS AT APPLE!!!

See? 2 way street

Whenever some one kills a mac tool, you guys bitch and moan, but when apple does it to windows, it is all well and good? Honestly, I would laugh my ass of if say Protools went windows only...like the reverse of logic...you know the shit would hit then....
  • Reply 9 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Digi wants to take ProTools to Window or at least prevent Apple from dominiting PT installs. However they can't cancel Mac support because Apple is the dominant platform for PT in Pro environs.

Maya is going to change regardless of whether there's a Mac version or not. Frankly I'm not impressed with Autodesks softwre from a qualitative point. I don't use it but I've followed some of their video products and they don't perform well. I don't expect their purchase of Alias to buck that trend.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Digi wants to take ProTools to Window or at least prevent Apple from dominiting PT installs. However they can't cancel Mac support because Apple is the dominant platform for PT in Pro environs.

Maya is going to change regardless of whether there's a Mac version or not. Frankly I'm not impressed with Autodesks softwre from a qualitative point. I don't use it but I've followed some of their video products and they don't perform well. I don't expect their purchase of Alias to buck that trend.

Look, IF maya gets fucked, the studios will likely start or massively contribute to an OSS project of a simmaler product...the big shops in Hollywood NEED maya, it is practically locked in and things like this will show why that may not be good. Ih the source was open, anyone could develope/support it in any platform where money could be made, or shops/studios could hire pros for in house dev/support

<edit>

WAIT A SEC: DIGI is a division of Avid, Avid makes video stuff for mac, they do it at a good clip, Apples own FCP hasnt stopped them, why would Avid stop making stuff for Mac now if they havent already
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Even if Autodesk decided to keep Maya for OS X alive...it's already dead since we're moving to x86.

Is Autodesk going to make the necessary changes to make a Universal Binary? My guess is no.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Even if Autodesk decided to keep Maya for OS X alive...it's already dead since we're moving to x86.

Is Autodesk going to make the necessary changes to make a Universal Binary? My guess is no.

They already have an x-86 unix version, why not just take the GUI code from the mac version, put it on top of the x86 unix core and tweak from there? it wouldnt be a "universal binary" but on a product like that, the customer knows their platform and hardware, this aint iLife...Be a little optimistic
  • Reply 13 of 15
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    You all think Office is bloated, try looking at AutoCad.

The nice people at Adobe seem to love chirping in how hard it will be to do the dual binary thing. I just don't see how AutoDesk would ever convert AutoCad to the Mac side even if it would appear it could be profitable. I bet it would be missing so much stuff that it would be at a best a weak sister.

Screw AutoDesk. VectorWorks is way better anyway. Yeah, it has a few issues with AutoCad just like other word processors have trouble with Word.

And yeah, I'll bet Maya goes stagnant.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    The sale of Alias to Autodesk is suppose to take 4 to 6 months to be approved. I'm hoping in that time Alias continues to work on a Mac OSX Intel version to be debuted in January or soon there after. But long term I fear that Autodesk will let Maya whither while improving the feature set of 3DsMax. It's a bummer and before this I was hoping to one day see Alias Studio Tools go Mac OsX.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quite frankly I'm a bit surprised that Apple haven't bought Luxology already.