Would you buy a black imac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If apple decided to make imac g5's in two colors like the nano, would you pick a black imac over the white one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

If apple decided to make imac g5's in two colors like the nano, would you pick a black imac over the white one?

You know, I really might.

I think that it's just that the white thing is getting long in tooth and starting to seem boring.

But then the glossy plastic thing (and all the ill it is prey to) is getting kinda old, too, so I might want to make that a matte or at least textured black iMac.

Imagine how cool a matte black nano would be.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Im partial to the white because my wife and I keep our imac g5 in the kitchen and use it as our digital hub so the whole white thing goes with our home decor. Our 4 1/2 year old son uses the computer alot for his educational programs and white does a better job of not showing little fingure prints all over the place too.

Considering how popular the black nano has been I think it would be wise for apple to release the imac in both black and white to coincide with the rumored updated ipod sporting two colors as well.

For some reason I think Apple killed of the ipod mini knowing that the new ipod will be would be smaller and very close in size to the old mini.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    no but i def want a black laptop, or gunmetal, something darker than the silver we have now.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    I'd buy the white but I don't see any harm in a black version as long as there's a market for it.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    No.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    I've got a 20" iMac G5 right now, and I have to say I think the white plastic Apple uses does a very nice job of not showing fingerprints, and dust. Also, the frame just disappears into the background, so I don't notice it. I think that a frame as thick as the iMac's (especially the part below the display) would give me tunnel vision if it was black, and I would constantly be aware of it's presence. Unless of course the wall behind your iMac was also black, but who's got a black room?

If they thin out the iMac's frame to 1/4" on all sides, then black would be fine. But at it's current thickness, you'd go crazy. That's my thoughts.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Unless of course the wall behind your iMac was also black, but who's got a black room?

You'd be amazed how many home theaters are popping up. Some people want to use a quiet computer in the corner of the room that doesn't call attention to its self.

But, as a personal note, I wouldn't really want Black for a desktop, but it totally works for a laptop. It is a major niche my Pismo suits well. I can't really stand shiny metallic laptops. They don't appeal to me.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

You'd be amazed how many home theaters are popping up. Some people want to use a quiet computer in the corner of the room that doesn't call attention to its self.

But, as a personal note, I wouldn't really want Black for a desktop, but it totally works for a laptop. It is a major niche my Pismo suits well. I can't really stand shiny metallic laptops. They don't appeal to me.

A black mac mini would be nice.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    As an owner of a high gloss piano-black PC (Antec Sonata), I can safely say that black exposes dust much more than white. I'm constantly wiping it down.

But it still may look nice. I'd probably consider a black Mac.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    have you seen the black imac g4? you either think it looks awsome and stealthy, or really crappy. i hate it. i'd never buy a black mac. besides, apple made white the new black.

http://www.suyama.co.jp/imacfp04.html (scoll down to the very bottom)
  • Reply 11 of 36
    A SciFi book store in my neighborhood has a black iMac (the old fashion kind). It looks cool; they call it their goth-mac.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Just be warned: Once you go black you can never go back.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Anyone seen http://www.colorwarepc.com/? They make iMacs, minis etc, some of them look kinda cool, but I don't know that I would actually buy one.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I wouldn't buy an iMac. But white is great.

I think the iBook I have now looks better than the 15" Al Powerbook I used to have.

My desktop setup, mouse, keyboard, screen are all matte black with a touch of silver on the mouse and screen.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    The contrast between a white screen, a black bezel, and a white wall is too hard on the eyes. Many fine TVs have a silvery gray bezel to lessen the contrast. A silvery anodized aluminum iMac might be nice. Metal conducts heat a lot better than plastic so maybe it'll take longer to burn up the power supply.

Black also shows scratches, dust and fingerprints way too easily and looks too pedestrian for something that sits on a table or desk. White and silver are far more elegant and classy.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    I would not buy a black Mac.

White looks clean and high end.

The aluminum look is the most professional, clean, stylish look I have ever seen and I hope this look progresses for a couple of years.

If we must endure black, I think it should be black metal, with a brushed metal texture.

The black Nano is OK looking. I like the white better.

I think that Mac people are buying up the black Nano because they think they will stand out from the Mac crowd. I think it's obvious by now that the white version will be the standout.

Black looks old too fast.

The aluminum powerbooks from two years ago still look new.

The white iBooks look new too.

I hope if black is to come back to Mac, that it will only be an added option. Otherwise, no thanks. Been there, done that. It is done to death.

The reason why so many people think Apple design is so fresh right now is because of the bright and clean look.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Anyone seen http://www.colorwarepc.com/?

Looks kind of cool, except for the keyboard... I wonder if they paint behind the clear acrylic on the front of it, or just on top of it.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    no, ugly.

maybe like a different kind of white, or gray... something like the new HDD ipods.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

The contrast between a white screen, a black bezel, and a white wall is too hard on the eyes. Many fine TVs have a silvery gray bezel to lessen the contrast. A silvery anodized aluminum iMac might be nice. Metal conducts heat a lot better than plastic so maybe it'll take longer to burn up the power supply.

The engineer in me agrees. Aluminum is a great material for a computer. Untreated is best. A shiny silver or other paint looks horribly cheap and is less functional due to glare and thermal properties. Aluminum anodization can look good and make material totally oblivious to scratches (witness some professional anodized flashlights whose grip checkering can be used to file solid metal blocks without any damage to the checkering) but I understand it destroys thermal dissipation and thus doesn't fit computers.
    Quote:

Black also shows scratches, dust and fingerprints way too easily and looks too pedestrian for something that sits on a table or desk. White and silver are far more elegant and classy.

Matte black doesn't show any of that easily, and a screen frame is something you'll wipe clean anyway while wiping the panel. I find matte black the most "professional" and hardcore looking if the choices are white, silver and black. Check out the (small) PS2, black Viewsonic P-series screens, IBM laptops, keyboards, workstations, or the black Griffin Powermate and HH2 Lite keyboard in my desktop setup. I'm going for the matte black look, obviously, but can't afford the superior Viewsonic looks - Dell will have to do.

Glossy black is capable of looking good, but it suffers from the wear and dirt problems you mentioned, and is more gimmicky. The best use of glossy black I remember seeing in consumer electronics is on Antec's Sonata Piano PC case. The sides on it are glossy black (automotive?) paint. Obviously, a miditower case doesn't get touched and moved all that much so wear is not a problem. All the glossy paint is on straight vertical surfaces, so there is no dust problem either. It's a totally weird choice for something like the Nano. On a device like that, I'd go for total scratch resistance with a Type II black anodized aluminum and a high-end hard plastic for the screen. More expensive, sure, but bombproof.

I really, really like the white on iBook, and accept the white/silver on mini as a decent compromise between the look of Apple displays and cheap plastic construction. For a future midrange headless desktop, matte black plastic or untreated aluminum would not be bad choices.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Matteblack, grey , silver, any metal, aluminum would be great. I'm so tired of white. I'm in the market for a new PowerMac and PowerBook, although I'll probably hold out until Intel Rev2 for both, MatteBlack aluminum in either (and the display) would be hard to resist.