Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!

Comments

• Reply 181 of 290
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    I think you guys aren't thinking like Steve...

Steve knew he had to go public early with the Intel swap in order to have a smooth transition to Intel when the time came. Steve HATES going public with things early; as we all know, he lives for dramatic surprise introductions.

He also knew that going public with the Intel swap news would obviously stall Mac sales while some people waited for the new models. Steve would not want to delay all those sales, and if he didn't have a plan to mitigate the situation he would not have given the developers so much time to perfect their Intel code. The amount of public transition time is way more than is necessary. Since Steve doesn't appear to be worried that the transition will stall Mac sales, he must have a plan to mitigate the issue.

So the question is, how best to mitigate the Intel purchase delayers and make them want a Mac now? The answer is, remove as many reasons as possible for someone to wait for the Intel machines.

Thus, I think the people saying we are only getting a speed bump are dead wrong. I think we will be getting an all new set of machines, likely based on the new G5's. These machines will likely have all the features contemplated for the Intel line, which Steve may even tell us outright will have the same form factor as these new releases, 'only the CPU will change.'

Thus, the Intel swap becomes as much of a non-event as possible and current Mac sales don't stall right as the iPod Halo Effect is in full swing. This lets Steve give the developers plenty of time to deal with the switch and lets Apple breathe easier and take its sweet time.

I think the PowerBook/PowerMac's will be the last to change to Intel. They will test drive the MacTels with the consumer line to test their Intel designs and possibly their "hackability."

Do you really care if your new machine has Intel? I don't. And I'm all ready to buy my new PowerBook G5.

Corey

(Amateur Prognosticator)

PS: IF there is a video iPod, I think it will be designed for music videos and music and not intended for movie viewing. Plus, while an Apple iMovies service is inevitable, I don't think it's a near-term event. They will test drive that concept with the music video?s.
  • Reply 182 of 290
    i don't think it will be current hardware upgrades.... the target audience for these stunts is too wide.. jobs want them to have a jawdropping reaction like "woah, apple is good.. look what they invented now.. nobody has that.. i'll take two!"

so i think we'll see something entirely new, or something for the broader audience (ipod related, perhaps ivideo store or videopod..)

just my thoughts
  • Reply 183 of 290
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    The Video pod is such a stupid idea I can't believe you guy's haven't talked your self's out of it yet.

The biggest problem with it is the broad appeal. It is just not the same as an iPod. iPod music = simple, elegant, stylish. vPod = car accident, screen too small, I can't see where I'm going, or the movie I'm watching.

I don't see Apple pushing a second rate idea, that has no real dominant market appeal. It's a total gadget niche market product. That curtain only signifies an unveiling of something. The theater didn't invent the curtain.

My 2¢ Move past the vPod, and think of some other possibilities.
  • Reply 184 of 290
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

The Video pod is such a stupid idea I can't believe you guy's haven't talked your self's out of it yet.

The biggest problem with it is the broad appeal. It is just not the same as an iPod. iPod music = simple, elegant, stylish. vPod = car accident, screen too small, I can't see where I'm going, or the movie I'm watching.

I don't see Apple pushing a second rate idea, that has no real dominant market appeal. It's a total gadget niche market product. That curtain only signifies an unveiling of something. The theater didn't invent the curtain.

My 2¢ Move past the vPod, and think of some other possibilities.

No kidding! What if, instead of the vPod, Apple added better video out capabilities to the iPod so that people could carry their video content around with them? All you'd need to do is plug in a little composite video adapter (like the iBooks used to have) to your TV, and whatever videos you've made in iMovie, or whatever photos you want to share from iPhoto could just be displayed on the screen?

Wouldn't that be neat and handy? They could call it something sexy, like vPod.
  • Reply 185 of 290
    or perhaps they started their own recordlabel since they seem to have trouble with those selfish big boys

note to apple: stay focused on os x too! i still want a descent finder replacement!
  • Reply 186 of 290
    And all I want to do is carry photos, and little movies around with me all the time, and be the annoying @ss that goes to peoples homes trying to plug that freaking thing in. <-<- That guy would come face to face with a shotgun real quick!
  • Reply 187 of 290
    Quote:

And all I want to do is carry photos, and little movies around with me all the time, and be the annoying @ss that goes to peoples homes trying to plug that freaking thing in. <-<- That guy would come face to face with a shotgun real quick!

No shit. That would suck ass at Christmas when someone wanted to show a movie of a grandkid. Assholes. TAKE PICTURES LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!
  • Reply 188 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

No shit. That would suck ass at Christmas when someone wanted to show a movie of a grandkid. Assholes. TAKE PICTURES LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!

You can do this stuff already with iDVD. What's the fuss to make a huge production out if it, and try, and sell it year round? LIke I said... Try thinking of something else. This thing is a tanker. It will be a 1000% failure compared to the iPod.

Adding the functioning capability to the iPod is no big deal, but adding all the extra cost to your primary music device across the board is not the greatest idea, and making a giant production out of it is somewhat of a bummer. Spare me for not being an enthusiastic Generation iMac baby.
  • Reply 189 of 290
    Quote:

You can do this stuff already with iDVD.

Really? I can carry iDVD around with me in my pocket and then just whip it out and show someone a video? I must have missed that function.

Quote:

What's the fuss to make a huge production out if it, and try, and sell it year round? LIke I said... Try thinking of something else. This thing is a tanker. It will be a 1000% failure compared to the iPod.

The moment you let go of the bizarre notion that everyone here is talking about watching the video only on the iPod, the less frustrating the continued conversation will be.

Quote:

Adding the functioning capability to the iPod is no big deal, but adding all the extra cost to your primary music device across the board is not the greatest idea, and making a giant production out of it is somewhat of a bummer. Spare me for not being an enthusiastic Generation iMac baby. [/B]

Maybe it's just me, but I have no idea what you're saying here.

Look. If you want to make an argument against some kind of vPod, you should focus on how music is ambient while video is immersive. Additionally, you should focus on how we can interrupt music without frustration, but not video. You might also point out that the iPod hard drive would burst into flames if it played back video (but that the new flash ones would be fine). You might also point out that at the moment there is legal way to get the kind of content you'd want on it unless you create it yourself.

I'm just saying.
  • Reply 190 of 290
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    How about a video iPod that was also a camera/camcorder?
  • Reply 191 of 290
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Wouldn't a video iPod have to be quite a bit larger than the current models to dissapate the heat generated from the drive spinning frequently while playing video? I thought apple said something about that, like heat generated if you used an iPod as an HDD a lot would drastically shorten its life. I guess they could use a big flash buffer but then the price goes up a bunch.

...still thinkin something new... 8)

Edit: heh, mindwinter beat me to it
  • Reply 192 of 290
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

How about a video iPod that was also a camera/camcorder?

I started to laugh when I read that, but phones have 'em so why not?
  • Reply 193 of 290
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Yeah. I was working at the Regent Street store last night and this guy came in trying to get us all to say something about the Big Event? tomorrow, and we all decided just to take the piss and give him a look like we were trying to tell him he had a bogey hanging out of his nose.

I thought the official policy is Apple store reps don't know about the new products until the announcement is made and also they can't talk about future products or even go on rumour sites! I heard new products were wrapped in black plastic although you obviously do know what the inventory is!
  • Reply 194 of 290
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    any idea what time the keynote will be?
  • Reply 195 of 290
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

any idea what time the keynote will be?

It's 6PM in the UK - I don't remember the time in San Jose - where the keynote is - I think it's 2PM
  • Reply 196 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

How about an Apple Projector in an iPod? Who is going to watch video on a dinky little screen, so instead everyone will be projecting onto the nearest wall as they walk along. Of course there will no doubt be issues with the legality of presenting your content to more than 8 people at a time, but maybe it'll come with decoder glasses so to everyone else it'll just look like a light show.

I think I'll submit a patent for the floorPod. Take that iPod nano hanging from it's lanyard and project the picture down onto the tops of your shoes. Everybody can walk around staring at the floor.

Obese people and pregnant women need not apply.
  • Reply 197 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by hdcool

i don't think it will be current hardware upgrades.... the target audience for these stunts is too wide.. jobs want them to have a jawdropping reaction like "woah, apple is good.. look what they invented now.. nobody has that.. i'll take two!"

so i think we'll see something entirely new, or something for the broader audience (ipod related, perhaps ivideo store or videopod..)

just my thoughts

It looks like Apple just cut prices to resellers on in all-stock Powermacs and Powerbooks (no BTO) with purchase of Applecare. Moving out the last of the inventory. Refresh imminent.
  • Reply 198 of 290
    erm.... power macs are shipping in 24hrs on the UK site!??

Rod
  • Reply 199 of 290
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Does Apple ever notify customers in advance? I was in Aldi's today and they had 512K Shuffles for $59.99 and 1Gig Shuffles for $79.99. I was just wondering if they were about to update them too?

Well I couldn't pass it up so I bought two 512's for my two youngest kids, that's almost a 2for1 deal.
  • Reply 200 of 290
    Quote:

LIke I said... Try thinking of something else. This thing is a tanker. It will be a 1000% failure compared to the iPod.

Adding the functioning capability to the iPod is no big deal...

But if they just add support for basic Quicktime playback to the "primary music player" iPod, rather than making a brand new vPod... Much like the iPod photo wasn't a stand-alone photo viewer, it was just a new function for the regular iPod - and now even the Nano supports photos. Then there would be no "compared to the iPod" because the vPod would be iPod. As you say, adding that functionality would, it seems, be no big deal.