Bare Titanium, anyone seen it?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I'm thinking of sanding down my PowerBook, I've tested out my method of finishing the metal, and I have acheived a satisfactory tactic that doesn't give it that "brushed" or "swirled" look. I haven't seen any decent pictures of this already done to a TiBook.

Check out this link http://www.applefritter.com/node/3039

Note the crappy job on the back of the lcd. I've got a few flat pry tools that can get the PowerBook's back covering off without bending the edge of it beyond repair. The plastic piece that makes up the Apple logo on the back actually comes out, so instead of sanding around it, I can sand directly over it, evenly. I'm going to mod the logo with the classic logo colored striping. I did this once before on an iBook and it came out perfect.

Check it: http://homepage.mac.com/theprepmaster/PhotoAlbum1.html

Can anyone report in with some pictures of bare TiBooks? I'm torn between keeping the edge of the bezel light silver, or bringing it down to black. I also need to know if the top of the palmrest is also bare titanium underneath paint...OK, go!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    nobody?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I don't think it's "paint." I thought it was an anodized finish, like the iPod Minis have.

Anyway, I have a Ti and I'm not really interested in doing it. I think the results from the applefritter article are pretty bad. I'd be very hesitant to go through with such an operation unless I were pretty sure that it wouldn't look like crap.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    titanium powerbooks are painted, yes. the aluminum powerbooks are bare metal. and yes, that guy on applefritter did a really unprofessional job. i'm going to the hardware store today to get a couple different paint strippers to test out on the spare case parts i have..
  • Reply 4 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think it looks pretty sexy with the swirls.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Placebo: what do you use command Z for?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Incidentally, neither of my TiBooks have had any sort of "paint chipping," one of them being a 500MHz rev A from Feb 2001. (the other a 1GHz from Dec 02). I always thought that the paint chipping spoken of was on the plastic trim.

Also, incidentally, there are spots where my pink iPod mini (Feb 04) are no longer pink. Supposedly this is "anodized." I'm pretty sure anodizing is just tossing paint particles into a thin oxidation layer. I would be crious to find if the TiBook is anodized or simply painted. Either way you should be able to sand it off.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Command Z is undo.

Which is indeed a gift.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Incidentally, neither of my TiBooks have had any sort of "paint chipping," one of them being a 500MHz rev A from Feb 2001. (the other a 1GHz from Dec 02). I always thought that the paint chipping spoken of was on the plastic trim.

Also, incidentally, there are spots where my pink iPod mini (Feb 04) are no longer pink. Supposedly this is "anodized." I'm pretty sure anodizing is just tossing paint particles into a thin oxidation layer. I would be crious to find if the TiBook is anodized or simply painted. Either way you should be able to sand it off.

The chipping paint problem was with 667Mhz and 867Mhz models. Both the one s you own are good.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    I am waiting someone to polish an aly book.. wondering how good that would be.. I wouldn't mind getting hold of a top case and trying it.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

Command Z is undo.

Which is indeed a gift.

Along with Revert To Saved.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    The Aluminum Powerbooks are painted too (or at least that little bezel between the keyboard & the main flat panel under your palms is). I had a little speck by my command Key , so I went to scratch it off. Problem was it wasn't a speck it was a missing fleck of paint and now I have an ugly scratch there. The metal underneath is very shiny.

Oh well.