New Orleans Police Beating

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Y'know what ... each time I watch it I get more and more pissed off.

New Orleans police officers can just fuck off and die. Especially the fat tub of lard named Smith.

I would have no problem baiting him into an alley with a greasy cheeseburger and beating the shit out of him. Repeatedly.

So there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah, I saw that on the news today. Sick.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You know what's really freaky?

Pretty much all of the "lord of the flies" type reporting out of NO-- you know, black thugs run wild, raping, killing, shooting at rescuers, etc.-- has proven to be either unsubstantiated or flat out untrue (for instance, all those rapes and beatings and murders in the Superdome have come down to one instance of attempted rape, which ended when the people in the vicinity got involved).

At the same time, more and more instances of police abuse are coming to light.

Doesn't it seem like an awful lot of people were willing to believe pretty much anything about the behavior of poor black people, with almost no evidence?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    NOLA cops are terrifyingly corrupt. Have been forever.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

You know what's really freaky?

Pretty much all of the "lord of the flies" type reporting out of NO-- you know, black thugs run wild, raping, killing, shooting at rescuers, etc.-- has proven to be either unsubstantiated or flat out untrue (for instance, all those rapes and beatings and murders in the Superdome have come down to one instance of attempted rape, which ended when the people in the vicinity got involved).

At the same time, more and more instances of police abuse are coming to light.

Doesn't it seem like an awful lot of people were willing to believe pretty much anything about the behavior of poor black people, with almost no evidence?

seems like the media does, which is of course what everyone else sees and therefore believes...
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I guess we know why the NO police chief decided to run for it as soon as he could.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

NOLA cops are terrifyingly corrupt. Have been forever.

Yep. Corrupt and unashamedly brutal.

Great city.

Wonderful people.

Excellent food.

Amazing music.

Worst police in North America.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Then why isn't the beating victim drawing attention to broad city police abuse? For the most part, he's indicting those brutes as "bad apples," exceptions to the rule rather than part of a systematic pattern of abuse. I'm just reading his comments to reporters, but is his lawyer citing those problems in court?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Then why isn't the beating victim drawing attention to broad city police abuse? For the most part, he's indicting those brutes as "bad apples," exceptions to the rule rather than part of a systematic pattern of abuse. I'm just reading his comments to reporters, but is his lawyer citing those problems in court?

He has been forced to sign some type of NDA.

Or he's scared shitless.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Also, amazingly and admirably, the victim is refusing to call this racially motivated... Wow.

To be fair to the "officers", he does look like a dangerous thug.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    He's now been brought up on charges of being drunk and resisting arrest, and he's pled not guilty.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Is it illegal to be drunk in New Orleans?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Is it illegal to be drunk in New Orleans?

In the French Quarter? At night? Of course! No one ever gets drunk and walks around the French Quarter at night!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

In the French Quarter? At night? Of course! No one ever gets drunk and walks around the French Quarter at night!

Exactly my thought. So how can they charge him for that?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Exactly my thought. So how can they charge him for that?

Well, there are charges in America of "public intoxication," which is likely what he's been charged with. But your point is dead on, considering the French Quarter is all about public intoxication. Hell, my girlfriend once passed out in the middle of Decatur street (for you NOLA people, down toward what used to be Storyville) and a cop ambled over and asked me to move her to a parking spot.

You're correct, though, Anders. It is ABSURD to charge someone with public intox in the damned French Quarter.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

To be fair to the "officers", he does look like a dangerous thug.

He's 64 years old and has a grey beard. He doesn't "look" at all like a "dangerous thug." Was that sarcasm?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Hell no I'm not being sarcastic... That old guy definitely looks like either a Crip or a Blood!

I'm really just surprised that those brave "officers" were willing to take him on with just 4 to 1 numbers.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    sigh... i wish i could say that i am optimistic about matters, but it seems that every day we get further from the hurricanes, the more it seems liek new orleans is slipping back into its old ways that got it into this mess in the first place, because it's what they know. i believe it was gulfport (or maybe biloxi?) that brought in a lot of outside urban planners, but almost everyone hollered bloody murder about them coming in as consultants, instead of using someone from here... until they started laying out their recommendations. then the city council was like "well, why didn't we think of that?" i've lived in the new orleans area for six years, both in new orleans and on the northshore, and this entire area has a severe case of "not-invented-here-aphobia." if you're not a from-'ere (you're just a come-'ere), they don't want to hear it. the same holds true for problems. it's like, everyone KNOWS it exists, but you're a pariah if yu actually VERBALIZE it. michael brown may have been clueless, but he was spot-on when he called the municipal powers of the governor's office and new orleans in general "dysfunctional." unfortunately, it came from someone with 0% credibility at the time.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Pretty much all of the "lord of the flies" type reporting out of NO-- you know, black thugs run wild, raping, killing, shooting at rescuers, etc.-- has proven to be either unsubstantiated or flat out untrue

The most compelling testimony still rings true - that fameous blues singer that said that she not only was raped, but also witnessed many other rapes (including both boy and girl children).

http://2theadvocate.com/stories/0904..._soul001.shtml
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

The most compelling testimony still rings true - that fameous blues singer that said that she not only was raped, but also witnessed many other rapes (including both boy and girl children).

Who? I've not heard any of this. Can you provide a link?
  • Reply 20 of 20
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Who? I've not heard any of this. Can you provide a link?

added a link above