Notes from Apple's Q4 '05 conference call

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    WTF!!!

Check out Thinksecret. They've changed again.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

WTF!!!

Check out Thinksecret. They've changed again.

<Rumors have swirled for months concerning Apple's sale of music videos at the iTunes Music Store, and those plus video podcasts and television broadcasting appear better positioned at this point for a video iPod than feature length films. Apple will be hosting a media event at the BBC's headquarters in London tomorrow to coincide with the media event in California, suggesting a tie-in with that broadcasting entity.> (from ThinkSecret)

Sort of supports the report about BBC's inadvertant release of a Video iPod commercial, huh?

Also supports what I have been saying about music videos as a foot-in-the-door start - see the next quote:

<Apple also appears to be working on a tool that would allow consumers to easily import movies onto their computer, although its functionality might not extend to copyrighted works initially. Think Secret reported Sunday that Apple executives had previously stressed the importance of such a tool in order for a video iPod to really take off.>

Movies are really what people want, I realize, but the music videos will kick it off...

Of course, I'll come back and eat crow if there isn't that vPod tomorrow...!!!
  • Reply 23 of 33
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    5 Hours to go. Is it just me or are we at that stage where I'm like, i'm too tired to predict anymore, let's just buckle up and rock and roll. f**king BRING IT MATE!! YEAHHHH woooooooo
  • Reply 24 of 33
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

5 Hours to go. Is it just me or are we at that stage where I'm like, i'm too tired to predict anymore, let's just buckle up and rock and roll. f**king BRING IT MATE!! YEAHHHH woooooooo

Yeah, I was like that earlier but I did to many butt keagals and got tired. So I drank a Red Bull to pep me up. Then I got to anxious so I took a qualuid to calm me down. Now I can?t remember who I am or where I?m at, just drooling here, waiting, for what?

"This is the main advantage of ether: it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel ... total loss of all basic motor skills: blurred vision, no balance, numb tongue- severance of all connection between the body and the brain. Which is interesting, because the brain continues to function more or less normally ... you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it."
  • Reply 25 of 33
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by Relic

... you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it."

dude, that's exactly how i get when i have had more than, say, 6 shots of jaegermeister in the space of an hour
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:

I've gotta sit back from my keyboard - otherwise I'll get it as wet as the front of my shirt already is!
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:

F-YEAH!!!
  • Reply 28 of 33
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Just before you all go writing to Enderle.... He did mean the calander 4th quarter, ie THIS current quarter.

That said, he is a dickhead and I expect to see a lot more of his FUD in the run up to the Intel transition and Vista. Apple now has nine months (max) of PPC sales before the first Intel Macs appear. I think there might be a little dip in sales... but who knows how much that will be? Will they drop back below a million a quarter? Even if they do .... they won't be "dropping like a rock"
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by piot

Just before you all go writing to Enderle.... He did mean the calander 4th quarter, ie THIS current quarter.

That said, he is a dickhead and I expect to see a lot more of his FUD in the run up to the Intel transition and Vista. Apple now has nine months (max) of PPC sales before the first Intel Macs appear. I think there might be a little dip in sales... but who knows how much that will be? Will they drop back below a million a quarter? Even if they do .... they won't be "dropping like a rock"

I agree, no dropping like a rock, cause a lot of people are wanting to get the last generation of PPC Macs just to be sure that they can weather the transition. As The Apple Turns put it best yesterday - they've invested a grand in recent software purchases, and want to get their money's worth from it before going to intel. So they buy the last gen PPC, and that'll take em to the intel's 2nd gen when the major bugs are (hopefully) ironed out.

Don't thunk Apple hasn't seen this one coming - cause they seem to have some ideas about making that last generation or so with enough "oomph" to keep that crowd happy till they feel like switching.

After all, look at the sales numbers!
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by piot

Yes, he did.

I suppose that we may see some evidence of that in the January quarter. But it's hard to tell. The April quarter is where we can expect to see something.

It all depends on the publicity. As this is a rolling changover it doesn't affect the entire product line at once. That might be a good thing for sales.

Also, if the consumer machines are first it might not matter at all. Most consumers don't even know about the changover.

In fact, most consumers don't even know that Apple doesn't use Intel chips NOW.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Yes, he did.

I suppose that we may see some evidence of that in the January quarter. But it's hard to tell. The April quarter is where we can expect to see something.

It all depends on the publicity. As this is a rolling changover it doesn't affect the entire product line at once. That might be a good thing for sales.

Also, if the consumer machines are first it might not matter at all. Most consumers don't even know about the changover.

In fact, most consumers don't even know that Apple doesn't use Intel chips NOW.

What's more, they mostly don't care,and wouldn't know the difference between the two if it bit em on the tush! As long as that keeps the Apple rolling on into the future, that's what counts...
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by rwahrens

Sort of supports the report about BBC's inadvertant release of a Video iPod commercial, huh?

Huh? The BBC don't show commercials.

More than that, they're even so stupidly careful and fair as to call any iPod they have on screen in their programs a 'digital music player' or mp3 player. Never ever do they mention brand names. It grates every time they do it as you know the presenter just wants to say iPod and finds the whole thing stupid.

If the BBC are involved it could be that they're going to allow downloads of a lot of the free video content they've been putting on their web lately. Only problem there is that apart from the H.264 archive they've got in beta, the free stuff is all Real or WMV.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Huh? The BBC don't show commercials.

More than that, they're even so stupidly careful and fair as to call any iPod they have on screen in their programs a 'digital music player' or mp3 player. Never ever do they mention brand names. It grates every time they do it as you know the presenter just wants to say iPod and finds the whole thing stupid.

If the BBC are involved it could be that they're going to allow downloads of a lot of the free video content they've been putting on their web lately. Only problem there is that apart from the H.264 archive they've got in beta, the free stuff is all Real or WMV.

The BBC does have commercial channels, but as they name things like Channel 1, Channel 2, ... It's tough to know which is which from here in the States.