Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!

Comments

• Reply 221 of 290
    Do you guys think that we will see an Xscale processor as a replacement to the Portal Player OS in the iPod?

The Xscale and the processor use the same ARM instruction set.

I tend to think that the more the iPod OS become complex the more it needs that Apple redevelopes technologies already develop for MacOS X (for example network support for streaming, graphic transition, codec, etc...)

As Intel has announce an EFI BIOS version for the Xscale processor, and because gcc support the Xscale instruction set it could become more easy to port some part of darwin and MacOS X technologies to capatalize more software between the two platforms.

That not to say that the iPod will become a PDA. It's just to say that the more functionalities are added the more it will demand software engineering. What's more, it would allow Apple to more precisely control the development of every part of the software aspects of the iPod (especially regarding the importance of the iPod in Apple strategy).

Programmer have you a point a view on this potential evolution?
  • Reply 222 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

(Smacking him lightly on the face) "Kormac, can you hear me? For God's sake wake up man!" (Repeats smacking to no avail. Grabs collar and begins to shake Kormac's body.) "Somebody get the paddles! We need to shock him!"

I have read a lot of posts about this mr Kormac, but I haven't read any of his writings. Could someone please tell me who he is, and why everyone keeps raving about him. Does he have insider knowledge, or does he just posses special abilities... Sounds like he is for Apple Forums, what "His Steveness" is for a certain fruit company
  • Reply 223 of 290
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    ^

Seriously though, according to the invite this thing kicked off two hours ago. Why haven't we heard anything yet?
  • Reply 224 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

^

Seriously though, according to the invite this thing kicked off two hours ago. Why haven't we heard anything yet?

No it will start in 1 hour and a half...
  • Reply 225 of 290
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

^

It started at 6:30am?

That doesn't seem right.

- Xidius
  • Reply 226 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by FrenchMac

Programmer have you a point a view on this potential evolution?

Yeah: I don't care. Apple's tech people will do the evaluation and determine what their hardware/software path is, but with this kind of device the innards really should be transparent to anyone outside of Apple. This is different than the Mac where most developers are external to Apple.
  • Reply 227 of 290
    Hi...I think it 10 pst....which would be 1pm est, also I have been watching the powerbooks on apples store because thas what I am interested in

the 17" move from 1 to 2 days to 24hrs.....hmmm usually if a product is being upgraded the lead time increases instead of decreases?
  • Reply 228 of 290
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    you know what would be cool

pb with no hard drive all flash memory and 13 widescreen with intel chips--sweet. intel has made a bunch of announcements about availability of dual core chips
  • Reply 229 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7

Hi...I think it 10 pst....which would be 1pm est

It starts at 10 am PDT (not PST) and 1 pm EDT (not EST).
  • Reply 230 of 290
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FrenchMac

No it will start in 1 hour and a half...

Hmm... rises in East, sets in West... Yeah, I had which time zone was ahead of us and which ones were behind backwards! I thought 10:00 in Pacific would be 8:00 central! Right... noon it is! Thanks.
  • Reply 231 of 290
    Oh man ... that's a wide iPod.
  • Reply 232 of 290
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    erm, think i saw that on iLounge, not sure I like the looks of the wide-Pod \
  • Reply 233 of 290
    m1cm1c Posts: 47member
    check out this like of ads from the theater...

wide screen iPOD
  • Reply 234 of 290
    Has it begun?
  • Reply 235 of 290
    m1cm1c Posts: 47member
    not yet all the ads are on the outside of the theater
  • Reply 236 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldor

Has it begun?

Not yet. Within the hour, though.

The pictures are from outside the theatre where the event is taking place. I'm surprised that they weren't shrouded until after the attendees had gone in.
  • Reply 237 of 290
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    About time for the i****v2 (iPad?) to be unveiled kormac?

• Reply 238 of 290
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Yea! It's the brand new video iPod and she's covering the screen with her thumb?!!?

The other posters all have subjects that appear to be dancing not viewing a video.
  • Reply 239 of 290
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IToldYouSo

It starts at 10 am PDT (not PST) and 1 pm EDT (not EST).

What's that in GMT?
  • Reply 240 of 290
    the recent think secret article update says the screen size on the ipod is just being increased to 2.46 inches....while it will play video I really don't see why they would hold a special event just for this.....strange, the article said they were not going to annouce the mac upgrades for a week or two.