BBC + Video iPod + iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Appears, from a friend at the BBC, that part of the announcement today relates to a special relationship with the BBC and the availability of Apple/iPod specific content available through iTunes.

Yes, on a video iPod. BBC News, BBC Radio and BBC TV programmes for download.

As someone who lives in the UK this is very exciting but how does this play-out worldwide?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    That's some great news, if BBC gets popular this way, maybe some other channels will take it over. News on the ipod sounds like a great thing!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I love the BBC. I hope they will air their world content. I would pay to subscribe to that.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Where's the announcement? Sounds like another ATI affair, with Steve pissed that the Beeb spilled the beans early.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    This is complicated.

The BBC is not alowed to sell content directly, but its commercial wing, BBC Worldwide, is. And it doesn't own all the rights to its stuff to do this.

The BBC wants to make all its video content available to the BBC license fee payer -- so not people outside the UK -- for FREE inside a 7-day window ... and the Fairplay constraints don't have a timer on them. Not, at least, as far as any one is aware; but then it's a flexible beast.

The BBC is going to launch an interactive service to let Mr. Punter access this stuff; in its infinite wisdom it has elected to make the launch version Windows only (this despite a public service remit that means it has to support *NETSCAPE 4* on its website for reasons of 'market share').

... having said that ... subscribing to video news outut where the BBC owns 100% would be possible under its charter.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Intriguing that there has been no anouncement. Was watching BBC Breakfast today and when talking about the iPod wth Video they mentioned that "the iconic computer manufacturer commented that they expected to tie up with international broadcasters in due course".

My understanding is that the '7 day life' offerd through the Interactive Media Player is a factor of the technology and not as a result of a strategic decision by the BBC. As it stands, the BBC would be happy with the DRM available through iTunes.

Given that it is extremely easy to record a live BBC broadcast on VHS, PVR or through EYEtv and distribute widely but not that easy to download thorugh iTunes and distribute widely.

I suppose we could see some BBC content available for free. This would circumvent the BBC Worldwide / BBC restriction.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Wouldn't the BBC selling TV over iTunes come under the same type of deal as selling DVD's of their TV Series? I mean, you can buy DVD's of Dr Who, for example, what difference is it if they sell episodes over iTunes?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TRowell

My understanding is that the '7 day life' offerd through the Interactive Media Player is a factor of the technology and not as a result of a strategic decision by the BBC. As it stands, the BBC would be happy with the DRM available through iTunes.

No, the 7day deal is a licensing problem. BBC have obtained agreement with agents, unions, licensing bodies etc for this period. Any extension of that opens a whole new can'o'worms (ie people will want money). The Apple initiative is interesting in that the lower resolution (320 x 240) may provide a 'resolution' if you get my drift. This is a very complex negotiation but there is obviously great incentive to get it going.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajprice

Wouldn't the BBC selling TV over iTunes come under the same type of deal as selling DVD's of their TV Series? I mean, you can buy DVD's of Dr Who, for example, what difference is it if they sell episodes over iTunes?

There is no difference. The problem comes when you want the latest news bulletins or the latest TV episodes the day after. There is no licensing structure in place for that at the moment.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Would people buy news though? It would be great if they made their videos available for subscription, like video podcasts. But I don't see purchasing them for 2 bucks an hour. There's too much news freely available.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I would think the beeb would put out video Podcasts, ala headline news, so you can stay up to date when you leave the house in the morning.

Meanwhile, Comedy Central needs to put the Daily Show on iTunes.

And I'd expect subscriptions to come soon, so you can pre-purchase a season for less than the cost of all the individual episodes.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Would people buy news though? It would be great if they made their videos available for subscription, like video podcasts. But I don't see purchasing them for 2 bucks an hour. There's too much news freely available.

There is no suggestion that you would have to buy them; however they have a value and people and services that make them have licensed rights to when and where they are shown, hence they are streaming-only for the moment. I am sure it will change but this is a new situation.