New iMac features in other computers?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When do you think features such as those unveiled for the new iMac (FrontRow, remote control, etc...) will be available in other Macs, specifically laptops? Or...do you think they will never be unveiled in anything but the iMac?

Speculate on...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Well....

Front Row-

The beginning of Apple's Media Center initiative. I expect it to grow tremendously in the next few years.

Photo Booth

Looks rather silly. I think it was basically filler.

New iMac-

Nice pluses. DVD burning in all models. Built in iSight. Thinner. Decent sized hard drives. Remote control. New graphics. Above average networking .The most complete home system bar none.

iPod 5G-

I think it's nice. I'm not a big fan of walking around with video but I think a generation or two might have jumping into the fray. I'd like to see a 3" screen if possible and 80-100GB.

Apple showed a bit of their hand. We now know that

DDR2 is coming to the PM and likely PB.

PCI Express is coming.

They "have" been working on a 10ft GUI and that warms my heart. So far so good.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Front Row-

The beginning of Apple's Media Center initiative. I expect it to grow tremendously in the next few years.

I surely hope so. Who wants to do all of that cool stuff on a computer? Needs to be on the TV

Overall pleased with the announcements.....all except the IR for the remote...no RF come on Apple your better than that.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    they need to bring front row to the mac mini. Then the connection to the living room will be complete. I love what has been done with the new iMac/iPod/iTunes. But I will wait until they take the next step so that I can use front row on my television. I am not going to watch a 20 inch screen from my couch!

Edit: since the remote is standard IR... I guess we could use Logitech's Harmony remotes to control Front Row too. I like it if it can get into my stereo cabinet, onto my TV and through the sound system.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

they need to bring front row to the mac mini.

Damn, beat me to it.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think the iMac G5 is the playground Apple is using as the guinea pigs for Front Row. I totally expect a revamped, more polished version for other products ? most likely the Mac mini ? in the next 6 to 12 months.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    additionally, Front Row should be allowed to work over a network so that a future mini-like Apple device running Front Row can access libraries on other Macs. That way you wouldn't have to duplicate libraries across the computers in order to use it as part of an integrated home entertainment system.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah, ditto to the mini. Perhaps they'll wait until it goes Intel.

In fact, for most people it doesn't make much sense to use Front Row with the iMac. At least for me, I have an iMac in an office room and a TV and stereo in the living room. I can't imagine sitting at my desk watching movies or using the remote. I'm sure some people in a dorm room or a studio apartment could use it, but my guess is that more people would stick a mini into their entertainment system, hook it up to internet and stereo/TV, and sit on their sofas with the remote.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bperkins

I surely hope so. Who wants to do all of that cool stuff on a computer? Needs to be on the TV

Overall pleased with the announcements.....all except the IR for the remote...no RF come on Apple your better than that.

PVR that speaks FrontRow as soon as Blue Ray is ready?

Say it ain't so!!! I just assumed it was BlueTooth. Can only mean one thing...

FrontRow Remote RF $49.99
  • Reply 9 of 43
    i think front row is to nail exactly what the college dorm room computer should be. it'll be interesting to see if they are working on a "express" version for home theaters.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I think the iMac G5 is the playground Apple is using as the guinea pigs for Front Row. I totally expect a revamped, more polished version for other products ? most likely the Mac mini ? in the next 6 to 12 months.

I think that right now with the G4, the Mini just doesn't have the raw power needed for such a setup. However, they do obviously have the size issue down pat. Ideally, for me anyway, Apple would introduce a headless iMac. Also, it's important to remember that in the Windows world, only the top end machines ship with Media Center, so it is possible that we'll see that here too, although I hope not.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

additionally, Front Row should be allowed to work over a network so that a future mini-like Apple device running Front Row can access libraries on other Macs. That way you wouldn't have to duplicate libraries across the computers in order to use it as part of an integrated home entertainment system.

Won't sharing (via bonjour) in iPhoto and iTunes accomplish that already?
  • Reply 12 of 43
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    BT remote would have been nice, but remember this is in the home theater/television realm now, what TV or theater remote do you know of that DOESN'T use IR?

Edit: oh, and for line of site issues, IR repeaters are available and work quite well if used correctly... err, except in certain intense lighting conditions
  • Reply 13 of 43
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I think there is a good chance that we'll see the integrated iSight appear in revised versions of the Cinema Displays, and it goes without saying that we can expect DDR2, BT, APX and PCIe as standard in the next Power Mac G5 revision.

I always think it's promising when the mid range machines get bumped with new tech, as it signals that the Pro range machines are going to get a whole new box of tricks.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Any idea where the IR receiver unit is on the iMac? I thought IR had to have the little dark window on the unit as well as the remote to work (like on the original Bondi iMac). The only place I can see where it could be is in with the iSight cam. As for other Macs getting iMac features, there should be a Powermac soon with DDR2 memory and PCIe graphics.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajprice

Any idea where the IR receiver unit is on the iMac? I thought IR had to have the little dark window on the unit as well as the remote to work (like on the original Bondi iMac). The only place I can see where it could be is in with the iSight cam. As for other Macs getting iMac features, there should be a Powermac soon with DDR2 memory and PCIe graphics.

I think someone else posted it in another one of the forums. Apparently the CCD for the built-in iSight is IR sensitive. So the camera acts as the IR receiver. How elegant a solution is that!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 43
    The remote uses Bluetooth.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    And your guess is based on...?
  • Reply 18 of 43
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    And if its BT why is it only compatible with IR equipped products?
  • Reply 19 of 43
    The remote is available seperately on Apple's web store and is clearly listed as IR.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    I had been told by someone who should usually know that it was BT. At least there should be less technical glitches with an IR product, but it isn't as cool that is for sure... does anyone know where the receiver is?