Which DV camcorder do you own?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Canon just released the ZR50MC and sounds pretty nice, and for under $1000. Apple seems to support the Sony DCR-PC9 palmcorder (sell it on their website) as well as the higher-end Canon.

I'm looking for a mid-range "good" "compact" "light" "intuitive" "simple" camcorder to use with a TiBook for FCP editing.

What do you own? What do you recommend?

-- PEte

[edited for specificity of model #'s)

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: CoolHandPete ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I own a Sony DCR-TRV17, but I lust after the VX2000. The TRV17 is Sony's entry level MiniDV camera. It's a traditional camcorder, not a palmcorder, but it has decent features.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    For people like you - that is, people who describe what they want to do like you did - I heartily recommend the Sony DCR-PC9. You may be able to find a DCR-PC5 for a little less, and it is essentially the same camera.

I have not used the new Canon that you talk about, but based on past cameras, I would avoid the Canon ZR line at all costs. You can get a much better picture out of other, similarly priced cameras.

YMMV.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I have the Canon ZR 10, and like it, but I won't make any reccomendations since it's the only one I've ever used.

Jeff
  • Reply 4 of 51
    I own a Canon XL1. Great camera and now even better with the XL1s. I would recommend the VX2000. It's an awesome camera. My next camera will be a PD-150A the VX-2000's big brother.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    adam11adam11 Posts: 163member
    Hitachi DZ-MV100 DVDram Cam......cool.

Cheers

adam
  • Reply 6 of 51
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    Sony DCR-TRV730. Its not mini-DV, its Digital 8. We got this one instead of the mini-DV format b/c it was Megapixel, cheaper tapes, still digital, had the same features (or more) as the new mini-DV ones, but was several hundred dollars less. Its a bit heavier and a little bigger, but I think its worth it. Tapes are easier to find too.

Thoth
  • Reply 7 of 51
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    TRV17, I passed up a PC9 because it was slightly more expensive, and I hate the walkman with a lens form-factor.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    [quote]Originally posted by jhtrih:

<strong>TRV17, I passed up a PC9 because it was slightly more expensive, and I hate the walkman with a lens form-factor.</strong><hr></blockquote>

CoolHand Pete - Just so you know, Super does not actually have a XL1, because anyone who does wouldn't post in this thread and tell you about it.

jhtrith makes an excellent point above --

He doesn't like the way the Sony PC series "feels". You should really make an effort to spend as much time as possible with the actual cameras you're considering in your hands. Find out which one fits your hand, has the controls in the right place for you, etc. The PC9 is a great camera, but if it doesn't feel right in your hand (like jhtrith) then you won't be happy.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    [quote]Originally posted by I Have Questions:

<strong>

CoolHand Pete - Just so you know, Super does not actually have a XL1, because anyone who does wouldn't post in this thread and tell you about it.

jhtrith makes an excellent point above --

He doesn't like the way the Sony PC series "feels". You should really make an effort to spend as much time as possible with the actual cameras you're considering in your hands. Find out which one fits your hand, has the controls in the right place for you, etc. The PC9 is a great camera, but if it doesn't feel right in your hand (like jhtrith) then you won't be happy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What do you mean he wouldnt tell anyone about it?
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Sony DCR-TRV240

• Reply 11 of 51
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>

What do you mean he wouldnt tell anyone about it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The XL1 and XL1s have absolutey nothing to do with the question originally asked. Only professionals own this camera (I own a small production company doing mostly corporate work and we have 2 of these cameras), and professionals wouldn't come here and just comment on the XL1 out of the blue in a thread asking about a sub-$1000 consumer cam. For example, if someone asked what mac they should get to do some light graphic design or 3D modeling (just as a hobby), and you were a high-end 3D pro, would you post, "I have a SGI Workstation, and it's great!"? Um.... no. You'd offer some real advice based on your experience with a G4 Mac system. That's my point.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Yeah, I tried out the vertical handhelds too, and they just don't feel right. The fact that the strap has to be extended with a swing out plastic piece just to fit your hands...it's just not natural. I can keep a steadier hand with the traditionally held camcorders.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    I have a PC100 (more than a year now), which is great. The PC110 should be even better, as it has a flash and USB connectivity for downloading megapixel stills. I know that it might be a bit out of your price range, but it is very good quality, and I think that a new model should be due soon (has it been replaced already?) - then you could buy an old model for less - that's what I did with the PC100.

Hope this helps,

David
  • Reply 14 of 51
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I have the Canon ZR10 also. I would not recommend it for low light and indoor use. Come to think of it, even overcast outdoor use is kinda crappy. Color accuracy is poor also, everything is bluish. It's a great firewire webcam, which is all I use it for now.

I'd hope that these shortcomings are atypical for the mini-DV standard, so stay away from the ZR series. I have seen the ZR20 ans ZR30, both were just as bad as the ZR10.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    I have the Sony DCR-TRV17 and love it. I read an earlier post that called it "Sony's entry level MiniDV camcorder", while I agree in fact, I certainly don't agree in principle. For the price and quality, I would hardly call it entry level. Great camera and works great with iMovie. Does crappy stills, but that's not why I got it. I wanted good video at a decent price, and that's exactly what I got with this camcorder.

edit: misspelling all over the place

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Duals ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 51
    I bought a really really really cheap Sharp DV cam, primarily intending to use it as an analog-to-DV converter for some Hi8 and SVHS tapes. But it's actually a decent camcorder too, so I'm really happy with what I got for $349! I almost paid that much for a Sony analog-DV converter box alone.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    SONY DCR-TRV17 is one of the best out there in price and features. Got it for my wife this Xmas and she loves it. Great video, sound.... nice big 3.5" LCD screen... awesome battery life. Optical zoom at 10x is a bit low, but still useful. The Digital8 camcorders offer better optical zoom (20+).
  • Reply 18 of 51
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I have been considering the TRV-17. The smaller Aony camcorders are not intuitive at all. When you need to zoom in or out the zoom button is not located in a good place to where your hand is while holding it so therefore you get a lot of movement when you do things like that.

The TRV-17 seems like a great deal.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    TRV-17...very nice little camcorder...works great with X and iApps.....not very good still pictures (best in full daylight or outdoors), but other than that i can't complain...all the photos on my website where taken with the still mode of the TRV-17, so it is usable....but will soon get a digital still camera and use the TRV for movies only....g
  • Reply 20 of 51
    [quote] The XL1 and XL1s have absolutey nothing to do with the question originally asked. Only professionals own this camera (I own a small production company doing mostly corporate work and we have 2 of these cameras), and professionals wouldn't come here and just comment on the XL1 out of the blue in a thread asking about a sub-$1000 consumer cam. For example, if someone asked what mac they should get to do some light graphic design or 3D modeling (just as a hobby), and you were a high-end 3D pro, would you post, "I have a SGI Workstation, and it's great!"? Um.... no. You'd offer some real advice based on your experience with a G4 Mac system. That's my point.

<hr></blockquote>

I believe the title of the thread is "which camcorder do you own ?" I answered the question. Your little self indulgent spiel about your production company was far less relevant than anything i posted. I do in fact do commercial work (inc show opens, corporate videos, bumpers, general motion graphics etc) and i don't need you telling me what i can and can't post.