Why does the iPod dock have an IR port?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The new one.

I can see absolutely no obvious reason for it. If you want Front Row, buy an iMac or mayyyyyybe in the future just buy it and the FR hardware for your G5-toting Mac.

So what on earth is the new dock doing sporting an IR input for?

Do I smell an accessory for older iPods enabling you to use them as remote controls for Front Row?

Edit: yes, I'm guilty of basic errors. You can buy the remote on the store and use it conrol your iPod. No mystery.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Actually, I have a question about this. What's the point of the remote if you can't see what you're doing? It would be nice if you could hook the new dock up to a tv and the tv displayed Front Row. But as I understand it, the remote just controls your iPod. So how the heck do you know what you're selecting?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    AFAIK your tv mirrors your ipod screen.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    But why did they choose ir, probaply because it's cheaper, but rc would still have been the right way to go. Line of sight remotes are so things of past.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    you cant do full screen if you attach the ipod to TV???? I dont want the fvcking bezel like in the demo Steve boy showed...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

you cant do full screen if you attach the ipod to TV???? I dont want the fvcking bezel like in the demo Steve boy showed...

Thats the main reason why I pass this update. Its Apples first foot in video on iPod. But untill I can play H.264 at the same resolution as DVD I won´t replace my colour iPod.

But won´t that actually require a real GPU?