Funny License Plates

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
This morning, I got a chuckle when I saw an obese lady driving a Buick with this license plate: 4FAV747

Another funny license plates I've seen: UL PAY and the greatest of them all: LUV THC (...oops - typo).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't get either 4FAV747 or TCH. (THC?)
  • Reply 2 of 18
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    In Chicago many moons ago, I saw one that said "VAIN"
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Boeing 747s are known as fats (also aluminum clouds). Lame joke, I know.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    I got a personalized plate that's also the name of a local taylor shop. People are always honking and waving thinking that I'm him.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Kramer mistakingly got an "ASSMAN" plate that was meant for a proctologist.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    My favorite is this one. Think about it in a rear view mirror.

X32 1ARO
  • Reply 7 of 18
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

THC?

THC is the chemical in marajuana that gets you stoned.

My licence plate is "2a3", which is the part number for a vacuum tube that I like. Its kind of geeky, but nobody knows - I am waiting for some Japaneese audiophile to pay me big bucks for the plate.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Did you ever see a car with that?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

My licence plate is "2a3", which is the part number for a vacuum tube that I like. Its kind of geeky, but nobody knows - I am waiting for some Japaneese audiophile to pay me big bucks for the plate.

BRussel was just correcting a typo in the original post, you geek.

--B
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Ohhhh yea

• Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

My licence plate is "2a3", which is the part number for a vacuum tube that I like.

Now, I'm what they call an "Analog guy," but the current state of DSPs is such that vacuum tubes are really only useful as replacements in old equipment, which people may keep for sentimental value, etc.

I would suppose they would also be useful that, in the event of a nuclear bomb detonating in the upper atmosphere, you could still listen to your LPs.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Now, I'm what they call an "Analog guy," but the current state of DSPs is such that vacuum tubes are really only useful as replacements in old equipment, which people may keep for sentimental value, etc.

I would suppose they would also be useful that, in the event of a nuclear bomb detonating in the upper atmosphere, you could still listen to your LPs.

No DSP will ever replace my tube amps.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

People who like solid state stuff better are usually people who like "good specs" and "cool new tech", but have not usually sat down and compared tube and solid state amps.

I don't know anyone who has sat down and listened to the difference who picked solid state - even the best solid state amps and pre-amps sound crappy when compared to good tube amps and pre-amps. If you get the urge to convert, I suggest kit amps from my friend at:

www.kandkaudio.com
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I remember reading an article on /. on how tube amps sound better than digital because of imperfections (digi amps are just reproducing as oppose to producing or something like that). I tried to find the source but got nothing. Anyways, new license plates:

3UPROOO

and

SHO UR[heart]
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by /mandolux/

I remember reading an article on /. on how tube amps sound better than digital because of imperfections (digi amps are just reproducing as oppose to producing or something like that).

Solid state amps have two significant disadvantages - they hard clip (tube amps soft clip, hard clipping blows tweeters), and they produce odd order harmonic distortion (even order sounds good, odd order sounds bad).

Listening to solid state electronics is like having sex with a dead hooker. Tubes are like hot itallian sex goddesses.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Solid state amps have two significant disadvantages - they hard clip (tube amps soft clip, hard clipping blows tweeters), and they produce odd order harmonic distortion (even order sounds good, odd order sounds bad).

Listening to solid state electronics is like having sex with a dead hooker. Tubes are like hot itallian sex goddesses.

This is new to me, despite the fact I'm a musician. I've not really seen anyone using a tube amp.

That being said, there is a solid argument to be made against digital sampling. In essence, you're not hearing the full sound wave, just a portion of it. In particular, digital recordings don't have the warmth of analog recordings.

All THAT being said, the noise-free advantages of digital still outweigh the sound quality issues. And, I think that as the sampling rate and bit count goes up, the difference will become negligable.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

[B]People who like solid state stuff better are usually people who like "good specs" and "cool new tech", but have not usually sat down and compared tube and solid state amps.

/B]

Good lord, don't get started. I'm not comparing tube amps to solid state amps. Even the best Bi-polar transistors don't have quite as nice a linear regime as tubes. I'm taking about fully digital here. spline interpolation, d-amps. . . the works. With modern DSPs you can simulate a tube better than a tube itself (due to manufacturing variance), and without all of the problems that come with tubes.

Quote:

That being said, there is a solid argument to be made against digital sampling. In essence, you're not hearing the full sound wave, just a portion of it. In particular, digital recordings don't have the warmth of analog recordings.

There are ways to account for this. Namely, fast sampling and good DSP usage. Although the latest industry trends seem to take 20 years to trickle into the music world. . . it's almost as bad as fucking NASA.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

All THAT being said, the noise-free advantages of digital still outweigh the sound quality issues. And, I think that as the sampling rate and bit count goes up, the difference will become negligable.

If you use DC filiments, the noise is very low with tube amps. I have very sensitive speakers (Nearfield pipedreams - officially 94dB, but seem much more than that for some reason), so I would notice the slightest noise problem.

Sampling rate and bit count are not a solid-state vs tube issues, they are analog vs digital issues. Bit count affects dynamic range, so you don't really need any more than 24 bits (32 bits if using a digital volume control) because digital dynamic range is already great.

But I am also a big LP fan, my LP rig sounds much better than any SACD or 24/192 digital system that I have heard.