Apple announces iTunes 6 and iTMS video content

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    this said i like the video layout in iTunes6 with the thumbnails. very very nice. remember if you have qt7 *pro* all you have to do is open the file in quicktime7 if you can, scroll to a frame you like, then choose view>"set poster frame"

hit file>save and when you import it into itunes6 the poster frame you set will be used as a thumbnail even though the movie clip will start playing from the beginning (or where you left off last)
  • Reply 22 of 66
    I'm glad Apple landed the $1.99 video deal. If those take off, then it gives apple even more of a pull when it comes time to renew contracts with record companies next spring. How can a song cost more than a music VIDEO?

If they want premium songs at a premium price, then they should lower "older" songs. below .99
  • Reply 23 of 66
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    >grumble<

All of you just be happy you can use the music store...

Anything is better than nothing..

COME ON APPLE!!!! I'M DYIN' HERE!

On another note. I'm quite impressed with the recent releases.. New iMac? Sweet! Built in iSight, and a media center to boot, now *that's* cool..

Plus the new iPod is damn sexy, I don't care what anyone else says, Apple still r0x0rz my ... world..

Jimzip
  • Reply 24 of 66
    jimzip, australia will become a republic before iTMS music/video/whatever is launched for oz
  • Reply 25 of 66
    The new video features would be great, if they actually worked. I paid $1.99 for three minutes of nothing but grey screen with no sound today. Zip. It was supposed to be a Pixar short. I know the money was taken off of my account, but the video's not there.

I hope they fix that soon, I was looking forward to that feature!
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by mjuchter

The new video features would be great, if they actually worked. I paid $1.99 for three minutes of nothing but grey screen with no sound today. Zip. It was supposed to be a Pixar short. I know the money was taken off of my account, but the video's not there.

I hope they fix that soon, I was looking forward to that feature!

Have you got QuickTime 7.0.3? You have to have it to play video files with iTunes. (I assume. I'm thinking the DRM has something to do with it, because I could watch normal videos from my comp before iTunes 6..)

Hope that helps!

Jimzip
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jimzip

Have you got QuickTime 7.0.3? You have to have it to play video files with iTunes. (I assume. I'm thinking the DRM has something to do with it, because I could watch normal videos from my comp before iTunes 6..)

Hope that helps!

Jimzip

I have 7.0.2, but there are no software updates, according to Software Update...
  • Reply 28 of 66
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    on firefox 1.0.7 qt 7.0.3 and winxp64 the qt plugin for firefox seems buggy. i blame microsoft

i want a 17inch new imac g5 i don't want to use pcs and windows anymore.... linux is fun but... macs rock... *sniffle* *sniffle*
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by mjuchter

I have 7.0.2, but there are no software updates, according to Software Update...

Go to the Quicktime page and you can get it there.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Also it baffles me why the UK are getting charged £1.89.

Songs are £0.79 and $0.99, yet videos are £1.89 and $1.99, the gap between the numbers should get bigger with a higher price, not lower!!

Working with their numbers:

99c roughly times 2 = $1.99

79p roughly times 2 = £1.59

• Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Go to the Quicktime page and you can get it there.

Got it, we'll see after a reboot if it worked! Thanks!

(Added five minutes later: Jackpot, thanks!)
  • Reply 32 of 66
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i hate to drag this thread into 1999, but why the hell can't they add CD-TEXT in iTunes? Grrr!
  • Reply 33 of 66
    edit: removed my comments.... anyway, here's what appletalk.com.au posted on their front page

• Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

edit: removed my comments.... anyway, here's what appletalk.com.au posted on their front page

Well I don't know about you.. But I only wear green tweed and slacks while standing in a sheep paddock on ?very? special occasions..

Honestly, I don't know whether the rest of the world knows we have cities over here sometimes, can we at least make artwork that shows a structure of some sort? A pub? Milk bar? Apple store? Oh.. right, we don't have any Apple stores either.. Oh well, scratch that..

I'm not bitter..

Jimzip
  • Reply 35 of 66
    heh. i haven't seen much sheep in oz. new zealand yes, but oz no. i've lived in brisbane, melbourne and sydney. you can see some horses on the way to the brisbane international airport though driving out from the city

its just the appletalk.com.au people taking the piss out of themselves showing a rather rustic, rural setting, with farmer joe (vic bitter commercial mate --- you can get it any old how, matter of fact, i got it now... ah... good times during uni with the ol' vic bitter.. carlton draught...as well.. and fourex when i was in brisbane... not sure what the NSW people are up to with that tooheys stuff they drink all the time.... pity i don't remember much of those drinking times nowadays .....

ummmmm where was i? yeah, just appletalk mucking around. applecentre and apple-academy taylorsquare sydney is the closest thing to a flagship apple store in australia goodluck.... hmmm... i've been away from oz for about almost a year now.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

this said i like the video layout in iTunes6 with the thumbnails. very very nice. remember if you have qt7 *pro* all you have to do is open the file in quicktime7 if you can, scroll to a frame you like, then choose view>"set poster frame"

hit file>save and when you import it into itunes6 the poster frame you set will be used as a thumbnail even though the movie clip will start playing from the beginning (or where you left off last)

You can do it in iTunes as well. Just right click on the video while it is playing and you shall see

rock on
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I don't think I understand. It imports it into your music, so you can still play the audio, but if you just want to see you Video, just click on the "Video" folder.

I didn't mean in iTunes, I meant on my hard disk itself - when I import a video, it copies the file from its original location (eg Movies Folder, Desktop etc) into the iTunes folder within the music folder, even though it is a movie, not music. Grumble grumble. The prefs option should be to copy music to the iTunes music folder, and give you to option to leave movies wherever you want.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

The prefs option should be to copy music to the iTunes music folder, and give you to option to leave movies wherever you want.

Have you tried unsetting the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" preference under Advanced->General when you're importing video? With that unset only iTMS downloads end up in the iTunes music folder (with a few possible exceptions). That's how it's always worked for me anyway and helps keep iTMS content segregated from other iTunes-managed content (e.g. for backups).
  • Reply 39 of 66
    hi, i'm new to the forum. the reason as to why i'm posting is because i've been thiking about getting an ipod recently. the nano almost convinced me, but the new video ipod took my breath away. it impressed me because of the possibilities it left open. one possibility that i couldn't get a definite answer to was whether or not we could trnasfer any type of video (not h.264 or mpeg-4) and if they can't be transferred, can they be converted? i have tons of videos on my computer that i've downloaded from many different places including torrents. it would be a shame not to be able to watch them on the ipod. that doesn't mean i wouldn't buy ne thing from itunes, but considering they aren't supplying full length movies at the moment, i have another alternative. i'm sure there's a way to put movies on the ipod, just haven't found the eight thing to do it with yet. ne help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
  • Reply 40 of 66
    hi smarty, your best bet is to convert all your videos to 320x240 h.264 video with aac 2 channel sound. keep the frame rates to 24,25 or 30fps and at that res i think everything should play fine on the video ipod. however i think we are waiting for reports to come in from the encoding enthusiasts on how transfer and playback of "h.264 home-movies" works out on the ipod video. do you currently have a mac or are you using linux/winxp/win2000/winxp64 ?

edit: i might have some time to kill this weekend and i am curious to drop some test h.264 320x240 2 channel aac sound clips into the wild for research purposes only of course bittorrent would be the key, the other time i tried this my web hosting bandwidth went through the roof because a lot of people were trying out quicktime 7-encoded h.264 clips (back in april or may this year i think). of course i would only be looking to seed very short test clips for different scenes: fast-motion action, drama, sci-fi, shootouts, chickflicks, cartoons? it would be interesting to see how each genre holds up on the ipod video and how pleasurable it is to watch it. maybe some pr0n too... i'll get my old homemade tapes out.... umm... oops, scratch that last one

well anyway check out doom9.org for video encoding discussions. they are way hardcore though. scarily so.