Mac Mini + Front Row = Duh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
(I didn't start this thread, the poster should have posted a *NT* or something appropriate)

I agree, but the Mac Mini needs to be HT-ed (rack mountable type lay out) and made thinner, wider with more connections.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Give the mini a CableCARD slot and an HDMI port, and that would pretty much seal the deal.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    CableCard on computers is probably never going to happen due to DRM paranoia.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    What about airport express with video out? For those of us who don't have our computers sitting next to the TV.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

It'll happen. If they're putting cableCARD slots in DVR then I don't see a reason not to have a computer with one.

Here's what I think we need for a capable STB

1. Hardware- of course. A standar 17" wide CE device with at least an 80GB hard drive. Wireless standard with MIMO antenna. Gigabit ethernet and an HDMI and analog outputs.

2. Front Row Pro. Add DVR capabilities and more networking and badda bing. Done.

3. Resoution independence UI- Hell I want to do more than just view photos and movies I want to do basic computing from my lazyboy. Hopefully in Leopard Rez Independence will be ready to go. I want to computer on a large screen tv running at HD resolution. I want control over how my interface looks.

4. Extensibility- Like MS MCE, I want to see extenders running 802.11g and RF. I want the control software to be open source so that 3rd party remote controls can access all functionality. I want easy hard drive upgrades and syncing with iPod.

Man...so much opportunity here. Apple don't blow it.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

What about airport express with video out? For those of us who don't have our computers sitting next to the TV.

You're going to have to have a set-top box that will work with the computer either way. And if you're expecting the DVR makers from cable companies to do that you're dreaming.

As far as CableCARD on the PC, it's going to happen. The only question is how long it will take.

And this thing wouldn't even need CableCARD built in, just take component or HDMI in from the cable/sat box you get anyway and then on to the TV. Then use firewire or USB to grab content off the cable/sat box if you need to.

Eventually it would be really cool to have dual-tuner CableCARD built into the thing to free up the clutter and simplify things, but if Apple is waiting for the perfect, ideal setup to move forward they are backwards in their thinking because Microsoft will probably sell more copies of WindowsMCE this year than Apple will computers.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    NOTE: There was some sort of server glitch when I posted this topic, so my original post was lost while still starting the thread.

Things it must have to be a viable STB...

HDMI or an HDCP compiant DVI out

Real time HD signal decoding

PVR features (for HD signals at least)

Things it should have...

H264 hardware decoding

HDTV tuner

Some way of archiving recorded HD shows, either downrezed to fit dual layer DVDs or onto Blu-ray drive.

An HDTV tuner isn't technically required to record HD streams if the TV already has an HD tuner. The mini can appear to the TV as a Digital VCR which feeds back signals for the TV's tuner to decode, but that isn't as elegant as playing it right through the mac via front row.

IMO, no PVR for analog is necessary as the market for this is for Videophiles.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

IMO, no PVR for analog is necessary as the market for this is for Videophiles.

What?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

What?

I think he means it would be HDMI only, no component, composite, etc?

It should have two HDMI one in/out. It doesn't need a CC, only TVs need that and there is no standard yet. The next gen will allow for PPV, etc.

THis just needs to be a media center. I'd be interested in DVD playback and PVR then HDTV decoding. What's the point when you need a cable STB in order to decode those channels? Lost in HD is nice, but HBO, ESPN, INHD, etc all need a stb.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Apparently Microsoft is working on getting CableCard hardware/support on Media Center... if they do it, perhaps Apple can do the same (if there's a market, of course)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    This is an amazing idea, especially with a wireless mouse and keyboard. Sit on your couch and read your email while you download TV episodes, or just watch live TV.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

This is an amazing idea, especially with a wireless mouse and keyboard. Sit on your couch and read your email while you download TV episodes, or just watch live TV.

Yes instead of being couch potatoes we'll be "mouse potatoes" guffaw