Apple unveils video iPod

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 58
    "So ThinkSecret.com was wrong, and the rumors were right: Apple introduced a video iPod yesterday"



    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/13/te...GUE-EMAIL.html
  • Reply 42 of 58
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by CosmoNut

    Anything that uses the 3G & 4G iPod's remote connector will not work with these iPods, including iTrip. Apple alienated a hell of a lot of accessories with this revision.



    That's good for accessory companies - people have to buy new accessories.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    Anybody know what the max resolution is (when watching movies on the TV using the iPod + AV cable and/or dock)??

    Apple.com claims "MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec" - but that seems like a typo, no movies are square, right??

    Thus, is it 640x480 or 480x360 ???
  • Reply 44 of 58
    ah that jobs is a genius. not only did he get a smaller(size) bigger(hd) ipod out in the much demanded two colors, but now it has a larger screen, and video out. to top it out he managed to get enough material to have a decent launch. which makes the product usefull to boot! simply awsome.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    Hold on...let me clear my throat...ahem...TOLD YOU SO.



    Heh.



    Nice bit of validation here. For a long time I've been speculating on the need for this type of iPod. Glad to see it is here.



    That being said, here's what I am seeing now:



    1. No Firewire sucks big time. But I guess I just need to get a USB 2.0 card for my trusty G4 tower.



    2. It does also suck that you need Quicktime Pro to resize your movies to fit on this thing. But I can imagine that people will probably come out with workarounds. If you have something in iMovie tho, you can just export with the codec and size required.



    I wonder what will happen if I dump a 640x480 movie on it...will it scale or simply not play?



    3. The orientation of the iPod's screen now makes little sense to me. If you looked at the iPod in a landscape view, and made the scrollwheel smaller, you could accommodate a larger screen. And...gasp...cool games.



    4. The next evolution of the iPod has to be a PDA with touch screen. I see no doubt in this whatsoever. It's got built-in calendar software and other stuff, it's got built-in games. It is only a matter of time before someone throws a nice splash interface on it, a floating screen keyboard, etc. It seems like PDA functionality is evolving on the device by default. Why not embrace the concept?
  • Reply 46 of 58
    First of all, does the AV Output cables work to show TV shows from your iPod on your TV? It doesn't specify on Apple's website.



    Second, do you guys think that there will be more TV shows added, either more from ABC or from another channel?



    Thanx.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    i'm sure the A/V out cables have to work with your tv, otherwise what would be the point of also selling a dock with remote for hooking up to your tv?



    as far as the video goes, I'm wondering if it can display video higher resolution than the ipod's screen on the tv...?
  • Reply 48 of 58
    I think the mockups others were doing of a Video iPod rather than this granular step of an iPod that plays video were much better.



    One wonders what the constraints are on Apple's Design team considering how much revenue this product line is bringing in is.



    Why not a unit like the Nokia 770, but with a hard drive and the click wheel or even "front row" remote buttons on it, with Apple's own handwriting technology (inkwell?). Slap on Safari support, Apple Remote Desktop support and BOOM. Killer handheld unit.



    Support for WIFI, Bluetooth and ZigBee.



    We'd get the UI we want for Home Theatre, we'd get the convenience of portability for music, video and more. Extend this with the ability to have Front Row work with ANY Apple computer (mac mini, powerbooks, ibooks, powermacs) and allow Front Row to be extended to support programs like Mplayer, VideoLan a la applescript and you get it all.



    The functionality of a PDA, the features of a killer remote, and more. That would be a platform Apple could build on to gain more integration into a household and the average on the go lifestyle.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JamesG

    [B]...

    2. It does also suck that you need Quicktime Pro to resize your movies to fit on this thing. But I can imagine that people will probably come out with workarounds. If you have something in iMovie tho, you can just export with the codec and size required.



    I wonder what will happen if I dump a 640x480 movie on it...will it scale or simply not play?



    I doubt you'll need QT Pro, you should be able to use sopmething like ffmpegx.



    As for what happens with a 640x480 movie, I have no idea what will happen .
  • Reply 50 of 58
    I pretty sure the iPod can't decode H.264 at anything larger than the 700kbits/sec. This is the iPods BIGGEST downfall. No point in building a large movie and TV episode collection at 320X240. Instead, I'm going to get everything in at least 640X480 H.264, and when the iPod supports that resolution, i'll upload them. That doesn't mean i won't buy one of these new iPods. The 30Gig black version looks so sexy, and it'll be great for the music/pictures/Video podcasts and maybe some of my favorite music videos.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm wondering if QT 7.0.3 Pro adds some kind of DRM to the file so the iPod knows it's authorized to play it? If that's the case, you could format the file with any other software, and if that DRM isn't there the file won't play.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Quote:

    Originally posted by planetWC

    I think the mockups others were doing of a Video iPod rather than this granular step of an iPod that plays video were much better.



    One wonders what the constraints are on Apple's Design team considering how much revenue this product line is bringing in is.



    Why not a unit like the Nokia 770, but with a hard drive and the click wheel or even "front row" remote buttons on it, with Apple's own handwriting technology (inkwell?). Slap on Safari support, Apple Remote Desktop support and BOOM. Killer handheld unit.



    Support for WIFI, Bluetooth and ZigBee.



    We'd get the UI we want for Home Theatre, we'd get the convenience of portability for music, video and more. Extend this with the ability to have Front Row work with ANY Apple computer (mac mini, powerbooks, ibooks, powermacs) and allow Front Row to be extended to support programs like Mplayer, VideoLan a la applescript and you get it all.



    The functionality of a PDA, the features of a killer remote, and more. That would be a platform Apple could build on to gain more integration into a household and the average on the go lifestyle.




    And a battery the size of a MacMini.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Has anyone heard that supposedly the battery life for the 30 gig iPod while playing video is only two hours???? It can't be true...can it?
  • Reply 54 of 58
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by faxmachine11658

    Has anyone heard that supposedly the battery life for the 30 gig iPod while playing video is only two hours???? It can't be true...can it?



    It is according to Apple - and three on the 60GB
  • Reply 55 of 58
    Apple wants to control the accessory market which is a huge potential source of revenue for them. The ability to upgrade the firmware along with "new" Apple brand "add on" modules to take advantage of new functionality is what they after. Smart!
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Quote:

    Originally posted by NVRsayNVR

    Apple wants to control the accessory market which is a huge potential source of revenue for them. The ability to upgrade the firmware along with "new" Apple brand "add on" modules to take advantage of new functionality is what they after. Smart!



    Irritating, you mean. Apple charges too much for the accessories (IMO). I admit theirs do look nicer, etc... but they do the same thing.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    Quote:

    Originally posted by spiers69

    Irritating, you mean. Apple charges too much for the accessories (IMO). I admit theirs do look nicer, etc... but they do the same thing.



    Yeah you're right, it is irritating but Apple NEEDS to do more to survive, even if it means stealing from those companies who helped make the iPod (+ Mac) more successful and charging us fanatics higher $$ just for their logo.



    Apple can be called greedy at times, stabbers at other times but also brilliant at times all in the same breath. Wonder if plans include a "prosumer" version with all the bells and whistles that addresses the lack of features, HD size (for a video device) and upper end pricing level... Cause you know they can sniff more $$ in the air. \



    Capture more of the accessory market in the lower end and OWN the market with a "do it all monkey". Now that would be smart.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    Something worth noting is that in Australia at Harvey Norman (big chain store) in the computer section they have a lead that has interchangeable ends, so you can change it to fit a firewire or USB to either end. ie: firewire at one end, usb at the other. It should be possible to use this via a usb hub to allow a computer with only firewire, to connect to usb hub, which has a usb only iPod plugged into it.
Sign In or Register to comment.