Convert .avi files to Quicktime?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there any way to convert .avi files to Quicktime, so that I could then import them into Final Cut?

The desired end result would be to eventually make DVDs, so that I could play the movie on a (non-computer) DVD player.

I've tried the "avi to quicktime" utility that you can find on VersionTracker, but no luck.

The new version of Toast claims to able able to do this, but it doesn't work with the sort of .avi files you find on BitTorrent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Doesn't the DivX Doctor do that? You may want to give it a try... I know I used to use it to play AVIs on Quicktime before I discovered VLC.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Doesn't the DivX Doctor do that? You may want to give it a try... I know I used to use it to play AVIs on Quicktime before I discovered VLC.

Thanks for the help...it's working fine.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    i have a program called avi2mov. i think i got it from the divx site, but i can't remember. it works pretty well, so if you or anyone else ever has other problems, thats a good program to use
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Is there any way to convert .avi files to Quicktime, so that I could then import them into Final Cut?

The desired end result would be to eventually make DVDs, so that I could play the movie on a (non-computer) DVD player.

I've tried the "avi to quicktime" utility that you can find on VersionTracker, but no luck.

The new version of Toast claims to able able to do this, but it doesn't work with the sort of .avi files you find on BitTorrent.

Download the DivX QuickTime codec and the 3ivx QuickTime codec from their respective websites. You will then be able to drag .avi files directly into iMovie. After you edit your production, you will press iMovie's iDVD button to export it to iDVD. You can then burn your masterpiece in iDVD. Once you have the codecs installed, you are golden. Everything else is already on your Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I think this topic has gained new relevance now with the release of Front Row/iTunes 6/iPod video. I have tons of video that is divx encoded in .avi format. It plays in VLC fine, but now with iTunes 6 serving as a nice way to organize it all, I need to find a way to convert all this video into compatible formats.

When I get my video iPod someday, I would like to be able to play all my previous videos. So how do I convert my .avi divx files to a format playable through Front Row/iTunes 6/iPod video?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    FFMpegX converts everything to anything.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    thanks... downloading now. Will fiddle with it tonight.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    (hope this isn't too off topic, I didn't want to start a new thread)

If I want to take some non-CSS encrypted VOBs to h.264 and iPod video, would Apple's mpeg-2 component be the easy, reliable way to do it? Like VOB -> h.264 using QT 7 Pro?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by octane

(hope this isn't too off topic, I didn't want to start a new thread)

If I want to take some non-CSS encrypted VOBs to h.264 and iPod video, would Apple's mpeg-2 component be the easy, reliable way to do it? Like VOB -> h.264 using QT 7 Pro?

MPEG-2 and H.264 have nothing to do with each other. QuickTime Pro will convert to H.264 out of the box. To convert to MPEG-2, you have to buy the Sorensen codec.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

MPEG-2 and H.264 have nothing to do with each other. QuickTime Pro will convert to H.264 out of the box. To convert to MPEG-2, you have to buy the Sorensen codec.

other than they are both mpeg codecs, standards, and are or are becoming mainstream, i guess , the question was, if i buy Apple's mpeg-2 component (for $20), will I then be able to take the VOBs (mpeg-2) that I already have and -easily, reliably- transcode/export them to h.264. I think the reasons to want to do this are obvious, Apple's website says it can be done, I just want to know if anyone else does it that way, or if that is even a good way to do it. Thanks.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by octane

The easier way would be to download Handbrake and follow these steps:

http://diveintomark.org/howto/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

The easier way would be to download Handbrake and follow these steps:

http://diveintomark.org/howto/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/

I use MacTheRipper and Handbrak quite a bit, but recently handbrake fusses when trying to read some VOBs (non-CSS). I also read recently that the x264 encoder in handbrake is dated, even in the newest release (like 0.7.0-beta 3). I like the one stop approach, but I want to use the latest codecs and sometimes I need to do it in pieces. 8) (that link is good info and I'm going to try it that way too, thanks) Guess I may just have to buy the mp2 component and try that too