Apple press conference in NYC on Oct 19

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Quote:

Apple doesn?t say exactly what the press conference will be about, but the invitation sent to MacCentral asks to join them as ?we unveil Apple?s latest pro innovations.?

It's about time. I've been holding out on the switch from my POS Dell since May.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    PMs are going to be very attractive if they include dual cores. My dream is a dual core for the PB (Freescale should theirs be shipping now) but I wouldn't put money on it.

Too little room on the credit card for anything but a couple of songs from TMS so I'll have to be happy with 10.4.3 which I feel will be released at the same time.

The Big Question: How many weekly announcements will Apple be able to have before Christmas?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    eminemin Posts: 45member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pazzo83

YES. This has to be it.

"we unveil Apple?s latest pro innovations." Yes, this time it just can't be anything else. Especially since PBooks delivery time in Apple's online store increases every few days.

At last. I've been postponing my PB purchase since end of August.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

PMs are going to be very attractive if they include dual cores. My dream is a dual core for the PB (Freescale should theirs be shipping now) but I wouldn't put money on it.

Too little room on the credit card for anything but a couple of songs from TMS so I'll have to be happy with 10.4.3 which I feel will be released at the same time.

The Big Question: How many weekly announcements will Apple be able to have before Christmas?

Seriously. How many more things does Apple have to release?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Emin

Especially since PBooks delivery time in Apple's online store increases every few days.

The Power Mac delivery times are all up to 3-5 business days today as well.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    13.3" widescreen PB, please. Same resolution as current 15" PB, at least. 1.67 GHz or higher. DL Superdrive. Option for 120 Gig HD. 512 in 1 slot, no freakin' solder.

Heck, throw in the built in iSight from the patent application.

That'll do me. Otherwise I'm jumping back to the 15" for the 2nd time.

Drop the price $150-200, too.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    iPod updates - check.

iMac update - check.

iBook update - not til the powerbook does.

Mac mini update - secretly release 1.5GHz - check.

Powerbook - 19th.

Powermac - 19th.

Well I can't see it being anything else!
  • Reply 8 of 23
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pazzo83

Seriously. How many more things does Apple have to release?

Let's think about this for a moment:

Apple now has 3 consumer Mac lines (in the iBook, mini, and iMac) and 3 pro lines (in the Powerbook, Power Mac, and XServe). Could we see a new low-end pro Mac or new pro device?

I don't think a new Mac would be workable in their whole scheme of things, but a new device might be cool if it fit specific needs. Imagine a small, touchscreen PDA device that would have a lot of capabilities of an iPod but be much more powerful. It could display high-end h.264 HD video, play music, display photos, manage your address book and calendar, be able to handle e-mails, and much more. It wouldn't be a tablet per se, but more of a portable information manager. Pros could use it to pass video, audio, or photo dailies where they need to go, keep their schedules and contacts in check, connect to the net via WiFi.

I'm kind of thinking out loud here, but I'd certainly be interested in one. If you priced them at, say, $499 and $599 and plugged 40 and 80GB drives in them respectively, they could do very well. I know I'd seriously consider one.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

My dream is a dual core for the PB (Freescale should theirs be shipping now)...

Where did you get that from? The last official information I am aware of is here (p. 41). The schedule says 1H-06 for the production of the 8641D processor. Moreover, I remember having read recently (sorry, no link), that the 8641D is actually delayed and may not go into production before next summer.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Let's think about this for a moment:

Apple now has 3 consumer Mac lines (in the iBook, mini, and iMac) and 3 pro lines (in the Powerbook, Power Mac, and XServe). Could we see a new low-end pro Mac or new pro device?

I don't think a new Mac would be workable in their whole scheme of things, but a new device might be cool if it fit specific needs. Imagine a small, touchscreen PDA device that would have a lot of capabilities of an iPod but be much more powerful. It could display high-end h.264 HD video, play music, display photos, manage your address book and calendar, be able to handle e-mails, and much more. It wouldn't be a tablet per se, but more of a portable information manager. Pros could use it to pass video, audio, or photo dailies where they need to go, keep their schedules and contacts in check, connect to the net via WiFi.

I'm kind of thinking out loud here, but I'd certainly be interested in one. If you priced them at, say, $499 and $599 and plugged 40 and 80GB drives in them respectively, they could do very well. I know I'd seriously consider one.

That sounds reasonable. I'd seriously consider one too, after I financially recovered from my PM purchase.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Let's think about this for a moment:....etc.

PowerPod? The Tablet Mac?

Could be, and it would be nice. But I think its going to be Powermac and/or Powerbook updates. People looking for updated pro macs are foaming at the mouth and twitching already, if Steve comes up with something that isn't a pro mac update on the 19th, it might tip them over the edge!
  • Reply 12 of 23
    This is great news I've been waiting to purchase a G5 for a long time hopefuly Dual Core with PCI express. Who know maybe they'll even clock in at 3ghz
  • Reply 13 of 23
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm only expecting bumped Pro machines, if you can consider dual core PowerMacs a "bump". But I'd totally dig a new piece of gear!
  • Reply 14 of 23
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

... Imagine a small, touchscreen PDA device that would have a lot of capabilities of an iPod but be much more powerful. It could display high-end h.264 HD video, play music, display photos, manage your address book and calendar, be able to handle e-mails, and much more. It wouldn't be a tablet per se, but more of a portable information manager. ...

Why would Apple come out with that? That's the Palm LifeDrive, and you can buy it today.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Special even on my B-Day? Cool
  • Reply 16 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Jeez it's an embarrassment of keynotes. A veritable plethora of myriads of keynotes.

It's hard to imagine them holding an event like this just to introduce new PowerMacs and PowerBooks. Is it the fact that they're dual core? I'm sure these things will absolutely kill on fully MP apps, but is that enough? Dual core and higher-resolution PowerBook displays? Could it be something else?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    By the pricing of the iMac maybe we can tell that the new G5's will be a very good deal hopefuly they have a pretty good GPU I need one for Motion.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Wednesday was consumer day, 19th will be Pro day, going by that, Wednesday had iPod, iMac, Apple Remote, FrontRow, PhotoBooth and iTunes 6, on an announcement called 'One More Thing' !!. Pro day could also have a whole wide ranging selection of stuff, maybe more than PowerBook/PowerMac updates?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Photo Pro
  • Reply 20 of 23
    eminemin Posts: 45member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajprice

Wednesday had iMac, Apple Remote, FrontRow, PhotoBooth and iTunes 6...

This new iMac is pretty cool. If I had a proper home (right now I travel most of the time anyway) I'd buy one definitely. Great home machine, really.