Unzipping files

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This is probably such an easy question but I can't find any way around it.

When I transfer my files from a Windows file to a CD and then open up in my powerbook, the options I have are 'archiving' the files into the Mac running on Tiger OS.

I seem to have archived the files as a zipped format.

How do I unzip files on the powerbook?

if I save the unzipped files and then import them back into a Windows OS, how do I unzip them in Windows?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Stuffit expander for OS X, Win Zip for XP.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Danmacman,

is this really correct? When I try and use Stuffitexpander,

I get a message saying: this will open in 55+hours!!!

That can't be right??? The files I'm opening is only 2-3GB

Justin
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    You probably did this already --- make sure to copy the files to your desktop then unstuff them.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    That's what I did. But 55 hours to unstuff files????
  • Reply 5 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Don't bother with Stuffit in my opinion; just double-click on them in the Finder, preferably after dragging them to the desktop.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Justin

That's what I did. But 55 hours to unstuff files????

That counter is usually a little (a lot) screwy -- it will probably only be a couple of hours.

Could you just network the two together with smb? Check the "Windows sharing" in Preferences:Sharing.

That would save you the bother.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Could you just network the two together with smb? Check the "Windows sharing" in Preferences:Sharing.

Err...that's going beyond my abilities. What is smb?

Several hours to unzip a file sounds terrible! Can't I just transfer something from a disc without having to get it zipped before getting it onto the Mac?

Maybe it would be easier to use a USB flash stick?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Justin

Err...that's going beyond my abilities. What is smb?

Several hours to unzip a file sounds terrible! Can't I just transfer something from a disc without having to get it zipped before getting it onto the Mac?

Maybe it would be easier to use a USB flash stick?

It's pretty straightforward. Just go under OSX preferences, to Sharing, and then make sure "Windows Sharing" is checked.

Once you select that checkbox, you'll see, down at the bottom, an ip Adress that you can use to connect from the windows box. ---But you shouldn't have to use this

Go into the windows machine and select "My Network Places" and then "Entire Network" then "Microsoft Windows Network" then (in most cases) "Workgroup".

in the "Workgroup" window, you should see all the machines that are using smb to communicate on the network -- find your machine and then double-click on it's icon. Use your user name and password for your Powerbook in the pop-up dialogue and that should give you pretty much full access to your hard drive. Just drag and drop.

But

If you don't have a Windows machine sorting out who is who on your network, you may not see anything inside the "Workgroup" window -- and sometimes it takes ten minutes or so for that information to 'refresh'. In that case, enter the \\\\192.168....[Whatever was shown in the Sharing window]

and you should connect, just the same. Just enter your user name and pasword that you use on the PB and you're there.