New PowerBooks, Power Macs due shortly

Comments

• Reply 81 of 190
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

I'm waiting for a kick ass Pentium-M PowerBook to replace my current model.

my question is how much faster are the current M intels to the PB in regular daily tasks?

what about things like photoshop?

someone please.
  • Reply 82 of 190
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I have never met anyone who has ever thought that.

Almost no one else has even ever heard of PCI X except in reference to Apple's machines, or PC enthusiasts who know the difference.

Plenty of people confuse PCI E and X on a regular basis. It is completely ludicrous to claim otherwise.

X=eXtended and E=Express

vs.

E=Extended and X=eXpress

Whoever named PCI-Express did a disservice to the computer industry. They must have been completely out of touch with everyday people.

And don't even get me started on the USB 1.2 vs USB 2 vs Fast USB debacle. Thank god they gave up on that and everyone now uses a reasonable definition for USB2.
  • Reply 83 of 190
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I seriously considering to buy this new MP product. It will rock for PS and the latest version of DxO optics who support MP (and which is currently damn slow).

Currently one of my G5 sucks : the 1,6 one. It's bugged, and have system freeze 10 times a day. May be I will check the memory, but I am really annoyed with this computer. Hence I will replace it.
  • Reply 84 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Plenty of people confuse PCI E and X on a regular basis. It is completely ludicrous to claim otherwise.

X=eXtended and E=Express

vs.

E=Extended and X=eXpress

Whoever named PCI-Express did a disservice to the computer industry. They must have been completely out of touch with everyday people.

And don't even get me started on the USB 1.2 vs USB 2 vs Fast USB debacle. Thank god they gave up on that and everyone now uses a reasonable definition for USB2.

I've been on many threads on many sites, and I speak to many people relating to computer upgrades, installs, and usergroup meetings, and I've never had anyone confuse the two. I'm not saying that it can't happen. But in the two years since they both have been discussed I've never seen it. I have gotten plenty questions over what the differences are.

The concept of the naming of USB 2 as "Full Speed" and Hi Speed" is very different.

As much as I hate to say it, there was (is) an intention to confuse and decieve with that naming drocess.

The problem arose when consumers rebelled against buying anything that did not say "USB 2". The truth is that most things don't need the speed of USB 2, or the expense of adding it.

So they discontinued USB 1.2 - in name only.

So when consumers see USB 2 Full Speed, they think that it means "real" USB 2.

Here is where confusion reigns. Many people don't know which is faster, Full speed or Hi Speed. Full speed actually does mean faster. If there is a Hi Speed product and a Full Speed product wouldn't something that is *Full* be faster than something that is *Hi*? After all, 100% is "Full" and 95% is "Hi".

Of course, WE know it's the other way around. But this problem is one I've encountered.
  • Reply 85 of 190
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

But in the two years since they both have been discussed I've never seen it.

You've got to be kidding!

The very article which started this thread interchanged the two.

The first New iMac Hands-On thread over at AI had same issue.

Try googling for pci-e pci-x confusion and you'll turn up billions of hits.

You'll just end up looking completely out of touch by claiming that people don't confuse the two.
  • Reply 86 of 190
    there is one thing, which i do not understand. maybe you can help me out on this one:

"how comes, that apple minds about their ipods but not about their powerusers any more?"

i came to some ideas, but help me out with your arguments.

* if they want to be a media company, fine. sell the computing part to someone who cares - and make money on media/ipod stuff.

* if they want to use ipods to "produce" switchers, fine. but give them something to switch to which is significant, not outaged underpower overpriced.

* if they are short on human ressources, they should keep focused and stop making "gadets" rather then tools

p.s. dumping the 12" pb:

if all that´s left on the pb portfolio are huge bricks, what´s the competitive edge against all the wintel 2,5 kg roomwarmers, rather then a nice os. then take ubuntu, a wintel machine and spend the rest on a nice holiday trip.
  • Reply 87 of 190
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    From MacCentral:

Apple to hold special press conference in New York Oct. 19

Apple Computer is once again gathering the press together as it rolls out new innovations. The latest invitation-only event will be held in New York City on October 19, 2005 on the eve of PhotoPlus Expo. Apple doesn?t say exactly what the press conference will be about, but the invitation sent to MacCentral asks to join them as ?we unveil Apple?s latest pro innovations.?

pro innovations = PowerMacs, PowerBooks?

but maybe also the rumored PhotoPro software, don't you think?
  • Reply 88 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by mjteix

From MacCentral:

Apple to hold special press conference in New York Oct. 19

Apple Computer is once again gathering the press together as it rolls out new innovations. The latest invitation-only event will be held in New York City on October 19, 2005 on the eve of PhotoPlus Expo. Apple doesn?t say exactly what the press conference will be about, but the invitation sent to MacCentral asks to join them as ?we unveil Apple?s latest pro innovations.?

pro innovations = PowerMacs, PowerBooks?

but maybe also the rumored PhotoPro software, don't you think?

Since it is in the plural, maybe the Photo software AND the PMs/PBs?
  • Reply 89 of 190
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

my question is how much faster are the current M intels to the PB in regular daily tasks?

what about things like photoshop?

someone please.

A lot faster. The G4 is a really old, slow chip compared to the latest Pentium M's, and the memory bus is even older and slower. If Apple ups the memory to 200MHz, it'll only be twice as slow as your typical Pentium M laptop.

That being said, most of these laptops run Windows, which makes them feel almost as slow as a PowerBook running MacOS X. The Intel PowerBooks next summer should blow a lot of people's socks off on both sides of the Mac/Win debate.
  • Reply 90 of 190
    NM

• Reply 91 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

You've got to be kidding!

The very article which started this thread interchanged the two.

The first New iMac Hands-On thread over at AI had same issue.

Try googling for pci-e pci-x confusion and you'll turn up billions of hits.

You'll just end up looking completely out of touch by claiming that people don't confuse the two.

I didn't read that in this article. It said "E" if they changed it, it was most likely a typo. Just like Harold seems to have made in his post. His response to the correction indicates that.

I've often typed Xenon for Intel's Xeon chips, even though I know very well what the difference between the Xeon and the Xenon is. It's a typo.

I'm not out of touch. I give talks on computer matters all the time, and have never had anyone be confused between the two. I've also never seen it on any discussion group I've been on. I doubt that you will come up with "billions" of hits. The problem with Google is that most of the hits are the same hit, just repeated thousands of times. It's a known problem. Try it for yourself.

But at this point, I'm going to let this go. It's not really important enough to be discussing any way.
  • Reply 92 of 190
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

A lot faster. The G4 is a really old, slow chip compared to the latest Pentium M's, and the memory bus is even older and slower. If Apple ups the memory to 200MHz, it'll only be twice as slow as your typical Pentium M laptop.

That being said, most of these laptops run Windows, which makes them feel almost as slow as a PowerBook running MacOS X. The Intel PowerBooks next summer should blow a lot of people's socks off on both sides of the Mac/Win debate.

ok so by some time this summer how fast should we see these new laptops compared to current windows and macs out now?
  • Reply 93 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

ok so by some time this summer how fast should we see these new laptops compared to current windows and macs out now?

Ah, that's the real question, isn't it?

And no one outside of Apple will have any idea until the machines are released and tested.

Because we can talk all we like, but we don't know which chips will be used, which version of them, what speed memory, what mobo they will be on, or who will design or build that mobo, etc.

It's way too early for even the most speculative posts to be too far out.

We just know that they will be much faster with native software than the current models with their native software. By how much? Take a guess, any guess.
  • Reply 94 of 190
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by noirdesir

Maybe I am too risk-averse but I rather have a 1.8 GHz G4 running Photoshop natively than having to run it on a Yonah via Rosetta until the end of next year (when the Intel-native version will come out).

No risk about it--I'd say it's a CERTAINTY that Intel Pshop will be a long wait There are definitely advantages to both strategies--getting PPC now vs. waiting for Intel. Depends what your uses are. Pshop IS important to me, but I seldom run huge image files. I could sacrifice some Pshop speed temporarily for the sake of OTHER apps being faster. It all depends just how fast or slow different real-world tasks turn out to be.
  • Reply 95 of 190
    I just read on MacCentral that Apple will hold another conference on the 19th. The day before Photo Expo here in NYC. I'm going to that expo as I do every year.

I'm hoping that the timing of this event by Apple means that whatever they are announcing will be exhibited at the show so that I can see it.

From the description - Pro Innovations, almost anything can be shown. This is a (mostly) Pro photo show. It can be difficult to find out how to get in if you're not in the industry somehow. Not impossible, but difficult. So hopefully, they will be there.

Otherwise, why the timing?
  • Reply 96 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7 ....so the big question is, are people who are ordering the powerbook today going to get the new version if it really is coming weds?

Good question. When I didn't see an update to the PowerBook this past Wednesday, I went ahead and ordered. Now... I see this next "Special Event". The Apple site says they anticipate shipping my PowerBook on the 24th, but should I wait and take a chance that they upgrade it? Or should I cancel now and re-order on Wednesday?
  • Reply 97 of 190
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ka2357

Or should I cancel now and re-order on Wednesday?

If there's no cancellation fees, I would cancel just to be on the safe side. They have to ship the remaining inventory to someone, and it could be you.
  • Reply 98 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by ka2357

Good question. When I didn't see an update to the PowerBook this past Wednesday, I went ahead and ordered. Now... I see this next "Special Event". The Apple site says they anticipate shipping my PowerBook on the 24th, but should I wait and take a chance that they upgrade it? Or should I cancel now and re-order on Wednesday?

It might be safe to cancel. If they have no more stock they will upgrade you to the new one, but ya takes your chances.
  • Reply 99 of 190
    I hope apple are going to appley the same level of panache to their Pro line relaunch.

The iMac relauch (and that's waht it was...) was nothing short of stunning.

GPU. Answered. Faster CPu. Faster bus. 512 megs. Upto 2.5 gigs. Upto 500 gig hard drive?

Pci Express.

Pro-Machines.

I'd like to see the equivalent level of innovation of 'Front Row'. A new app. Something cool. For pros. Dual Dual core across the line.

Good gpus as standard.

Option for 7800gtx. WITH decent drivers Open GL for change.

Apple's all about the software. And their software range is growing every year. I hope Apple adds to the pro-line software on Wednesday.

They're drawing attention to Macs now..using Halo of iPod as leverage at these events.

Now.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 100 of 190
    Quote:

It might be safe to cancel. If they have no more stock they will upgrade you to the new one, but ya takes your chances.

Thanks... I just cancelled. Apple asked why and I said that I understood Steve was making some new announcements on Wednesday, so I thought it best to wait and see if he was going to announce updated PowerBooks. The woman at Apple didn't flinch and didn't say anything, she politely said she'd cancel it for me. So, here's to waiting for next Wednesday!