Apple schedules special event for Oct. 19

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is continuing its trend of holding special media events to unveil new products, this time with an invitation-only gathering on Wednesday, October 19th. The press event is scheduled to take place just one week after the company used a similar conference to unveil a new video-capable iPod, updated iMac, and iTunes 6.

As with past special events, the Mac and iPod maker only hinted to what it might introduce. The invitation sent to members of the press indicated the company would use the New York City conference to "unveil Apple?s latest pro innovations." The invitation for Apple's October 12th event was event more vague -- it teased recipients with CEO Steve Jobs' famous "One More Thing..." line.

More revealing was Apple's September 7th tease, which alluded to the launch of the original iPod, stating, "1000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again." At that event, Apple unveiled the 1000-song iPod nano.

AppleInsider sources have said that Apple is ready to unveil new Power Macs and PowerBooks at the event next week. The machines were originally expected to debut at Apple Expo in Paris, but unexpected issues in the development process delayed their launch.

Sources have also hinted at a photography-related announcement, but very few details are known.

It's worth noting, however, that the Apple event is scheduled for the eve of the PhotoPlus Expo, also in New York City.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Not to be a downer, but Apple can only use what Freescale's able to deliver in quantity. I'd say there's at least a good chance that PowerBooks will get only a minor update, on Tuesday, and not be part of the event.

That would explain having the event on Wed. instead of Tue.: it would kill off the grumbles from the previous day, and the REAL news (PowerMacs) could stand alone. This avoids comparing the two, and it avoids having the PowerMac articles all say "and a lackluster PowerBook update"--since THOSE articles would have gone out Tuesday.

Only a theory. But the silver lining would be Apple needing to move to Intel PB's quicker
  • Reply 2 of 112
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    They did pluralize "Innovations", so I would expect both Powermacs and Powerbooks at the show. They showed off the new iMacs, whose processor only moved up 100Mhz, and no one seemed to care or notice, so if they show off new PowerBooks and focus on the new features and lower price points, they won't seem so lackluster at all.

All I can say is, it's about damn time for new Pro machines.
  • Reply 3 of 112
    I'd put even money on a Pro Photo Management app as well. iView type cataloging database.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    I can see them giving the powerbooks the small upgrades, but making them a bigger deal by throwing in some perks, like making iWorks or .mac come with all powerbook purchases.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    mhcmhc Posts: 5member
    Hopefully the photography releated element is a built-in iSight into new Powerbooks. I've been waiting for Apple to do this, but I was always concerned about the depth of the iSight. Now that they've reduced the size for the iMac, hopefully the Powerbooks/iBook will follow.
  • Reply 6 of 112
    Not sure I'd care for the added depth it would generate in the casing. Maybe if it slid up from the back.

But really I'd much prefer a display that slid up 6 inches to a foot from the hinge. The whole laptop ergonomics situation sucks.

Oh and the Photography related element wouldn't apply to professional photography in the least, so while it may be there I doubt it's part of this reference.
  • Reply 7 of 112
    WOW!!! Apple is really trying to milk this fall for all its worth, but hey, I'm not complaining. Is this a record?? 3 Special Events is 2 months?? Old Steve must be sick of creating these keynote slides!
  • Reply 8 of 112
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Not to be a downer, but ...

Well you are being a downer...

The good thing is that there are a lot of accessories and proApps that can be added to PB's and PMacs beyond the speed bumps and denser displays.

I assume they will have some new desktop displays to show, one perhaps with the iSight built in. PhotoBooth demoed before the Photo conference would be a hit, it only a gimmick for pros.

I hope that the PCI slots are upgraded and all of the gpu's have been boosted a similar mark as were the iMacs.

It would be awesome to have another 3-Act play with a "one more thing at the end..." concluding with some pro services or apps to jump start the Mac's entrance into businesses in the way that the latest iMac jump starts the Mac's entrance into the living room, however awkwardly.

I would like to see the CEO of Adobe come out and say that after initially thinking extra time was needed for the mactel port, that with dozens of new Apple engineers, the entire Creative Suite will be ready to ship with the new mactel boxes.

What Apple should do is start announcing partnerships in business "content" in the same way that the did with the home Disney content. Perhaps with Canon or someone who isn't a competitor.

Wow, the possibilities keep coming and things are really starting to get exciting now!!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 112
    Apple's just being a media whore. The iPod announcement rated serious TV news coverage, so they are riding off that.
  • Reply 10 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by MHC

Hopefully the photography releated element is a built-in iSight into new Powerbooks. I've been waiting for Apple to do this, but I was always concerned about the depth of the iSight. Now that they've reduced the size for the iMac, hopefully the Powerbooks/iBook will follow.

If iSights were coming to laptops we would have seen one in an iBook this week.
  • Reply 11 of 112
    Too bad Apple didn't buy iFilm.
  • Reply 12 of 112
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

I hope that the PCI slots are upgraded and all of the gpu's have been boosted a similar mark as were the iMacs.

The AGP slot could be upgraded to PCI-express, but it seems premature to go to that for the I/O slots given that PCIe 1x cards are hard to find (I've found three PCIe I/O cards on NewEgg), at least PCI-X supports regular PCI cards.
  • Reply 13 of 112
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Is the slimmed down iMac, coupled with the low-power/heat version of the G5 from IBM a sign that next week will bring the G5 Powerbook?
  • Reply 14 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

Is the slimmed down iMac, coupled with the low-power/heat version of the G5 from IBM a sign that next week will bring the G5 Powerbook?

no
  • Reply 15 of 112
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkDifferent

WOW!!! Apple is really trying to milk this fall for all its worth, but hey, I'm not complaining. Is this a record?? 3 Special Events is 2 months?? Old Steve must be sick of creating these keynote slides!

nah, iSteve is cool with it, he's happy to shine RDF in a more sustained way through the year. apple is being much more strategic with its product releases i feel, imho by

1. timing it accordingly with financial quarters to streamline revenue and profit

2. positioning it accordingly with other news and events

3. targeting the market segments (eg. photo professionals in this case)

4. avoiding superbig unveilings which inevitably get leaked (eg wwdc, paris, etc...) and which only preach to the fanbase, not the media directly

i think the product leaks and needing to be more strategic with their event marketing has lead to this, and i tell ya, keynote 2 is a frackin' superb application. whoever's doing the slides for steve is in the zone, no worries. overworked, but keynote 2 is really great for whipping up beautiful presentations quicksmart.
  • Reply 16 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

I'd put even money on a Pro Photo Management app as well. iView type cataloging database.

Me too - I think PhotoBooth was just a hint of the area they are going to expand into.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    How will Apple try to piss off Adobe next?

They pummeled Premiere with Final Cut Pro, and built Motion to go up against After Effects (though I find the two compliment eachother very well, but if Motion ever gets true 3D environment capabilities, I'll be launching After Effects much less often). Will they release an alternative to Illustrator, Photoshop, or InDesign? "Pages Pro"? Content creation, or simply content manipulation? Or just some sort of photo management software?

I guess the question would be, what does the photo/print world need? A Pro iPhoto? A Photoshop alternative? A camera? A printer? Often times with Apple products, you didn't know you needed it until they demo something you never thought of.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i think the product leaks and needing to be more strategic with their event marketing has lead to this, and i tell ya, keynote 2 is a frackin' superb application. whoever's doing the slides for steve is in the zone, no worries. overworked, but keynote 2 is really great for whipping up beautiful presentations quicksmart.

I can tell you right now, whatever version of Keynote Jobs is using isn't Keynote 2. He's got some really cool transition that aren't in Keynote 2.
  • Reply 19 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

They already have a photo management app. iPhoto. I'm hoping IT is updated. I doubt we'll see iPhoto Pro or anything like that.
  • Reply 20 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

I can tell you right now, whatever version of Keynote Jobs is using isn't Keynote 2. He's got some really cool transition that aren't in Keynote 2.

Keynote 2.5: the Jobsian Edition.

I just had a terrifying epiphany that October 19's event is nothing more than a retirement party for Jon Rubinstein. Cake and coffee will be served to those who attend.