Apple announces iTunes 6 and iTMS video content

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    thanks for your post sunilraman.

thing is though, i was trying to find out how to actually go about converting files (divx, etc.) to h.264 or mpeg4. if u would have a program to refer me to that would make the process relatively easy, i'd greatly appreciate it. so far i've been trying to find programs to convert my existing videos with no luck. i dont wanna buy an ipod where i'm only limited to the videos itunes has to offer. therefore a recommendation of how to convert or which program to use to convert would greatly be appreciated. thnx

btw- i'm using windows xp
  • Reply 42 of 66
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    cool like i said smarty, what operating system would you like to do your conversions on? edit: okay just saw you mention winxp. please hold...
  • Reply 43 of 66
    hi smarty, i have found divx/xvid to h.264 for ipod video might be best done with quicktime7pro for windows.

you could also try nero digital, i wouldn't go that path though.

there is also freeware x264 but may be complex

http://developers.videolan.org/x264.html

okay anyway, good luck. personally i like quicktime7pro on windows and mac, it's easiest for making h.264 stuff. i'm going to investigate x264 a bit more though.
  • Reply 44 of 66
    okay here's the deal yo. in quicktime 7 pro, you can "export to ipod" . i believe the compression speed and quality is superb for that resolution based on some tests i've done. and its a very simple step compared to all the fiddling one needs to do with other programs, etc.

anyway tuaw.com has details on this stuff

http://www.tuaw.com

(scroll down a bit)

apple has posted a tutorial

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutor...opodcasts.html

again, i have been astounded at the 320x240 or so 700kbps bitrate h.264 encodings off certain test clips using the in built "export to ipod" setting. seems so far to avoid the visual bugginess one ocassionaly finds when using the "export to movie" then "h.264 codec" setting (eg, screen flickers, some weird colorations, having to set a brightness contrast filter etc)
  • Reply 45 of 66
    After about a year playing with HandBrake, I have finally settled on settings that I like, which are dependant on the number of pixels. Most of the bitrates I use to rip DVDs are around the 1000-1300kbps mark, although one does go down to 855kbps level at the original DVD resolution. It's almost a shame that there is a resolution limit on the iPod (or is there?), because before I was using 700kbps to encode full-res DVD copies. This would be awesome to say put them on my iPod and play through the TV, which has a lower res than my PowerBook, but wouldn't require the upscaling of the video to play it.

Would be interested if the iPod can play any resolution video through the video out, as long as it sticks to the bitrate limit...
  • Reply 46 of 66
    if anybody wants to donate an ipod video to me i swear i will test it thoroughly for you on winxp and mac os with all sorts of techniques and stuff

anyway if you are converting to ipod video from divx/xvid the available divx5 DOES NOT work in quicktime7 and 10.4

however i found this handy link

http://labs.divx.com/archives/000057.html

that will give dvix and xvid goodness to your quicktime player pro. not useful for playback (as it is not optimised) but useful for converting those *ahem* legal opensource fairuse freeware legit non-pirated etc. divx and xvid you have. like that fan film star wreck: the pirkinning
  • Reply 47 of 66
    I've used that codec since I got Tiger and I find it perfectly acceptable to watch Xvids with.

Also they have a new Beta2 of the codec out which can be found on the web page or as a direct download.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    man, i can't keep up with you l33t haX0rs thanks for the link....... *slinks away*
  • Reply 49 of 66
    well anyway i tried encoding davincicode 720p trailer, iceage 720p trailer, on my winxp64-amd64-venice-o'ced-2.34ghz-1gb ram.

nice and fast encodes. you can bet that apple software engineers are getting the feel and hang of h.264 coding. 10-15minutes on average for each 720p trailer to be exported to "movie for ipod(320x240)". nice

edit: anybody know how to get quicktime7 in winxp64 to be able to read divx/xvids? i have xvid and divx codecs installed in windows... \
  • Reply 50 of 66
    all right guys, thanks for all the help.

unfortunately, most of the info posted was related to apple computers, i am using windows xp. tuaw.com for example would have been fantastic if i had a mac. the only two leads i have at the moment are nero 7 premium, and x264(i would need much more info on how to actually use it if possible). my quicktime 7 pro can play SOME movies but with audio problems, if ne body can refer to the proper codecs it would be appreciated. with my divx movies i can only get picture but no audio on quicktime pro. if ne 1 can help me i would really appreciate it. thx
  • Reply 51 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Have you tried unsetting the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" preference under Advanced->General when you're importing video? With that unset only iTMS downloads end up in the iTunes music folder (with a few possible exceptions). That's how it's always worked for me anyway and helps keep iTMS content segregated from other iTunes-managed content (e.g. for backups).

I see what you mean, but it is still a bit of a fiddly solution - I would be constantly checking and unchecking that since I would like my music to be organised. iTunes 6.0 seems a bit rushed, so hopefully my minor gripe can be sorted at some point...
  • Reply 52 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smarty

all right guys, thanks for all the help.

unfortunately, most of the info posted was related to apple computers, i am using windows xp. tuaw.com for example would have been fantastic if i had a mac. the only two leads i have at the moment are nero 7 premium, and x264(i would need much more info on how to actually use it if possible). my quicktime 7 pro can play SOME movies but with audio problems, if ne body can refer to the proper codecs it would be appreciated. with my divx movies i can only get picture but no audio on quicktime pro. if ne 1 can help me i would really appreciate it. thx

with quicktime7pro winxp have you updated to 7.0.3?

generally with your divx movies do you know what the specific audio codec used is?

quicktime7pro "export movie to ipod (320x240)" works decently in windows, i have tried it, and it certainly is a hell of a lot easier than fiddling with nero digital or worse, x264, which could be fun but somewhat hacky.

let's check out the audio codec and maybe we can figure a workaround...
  • Reply 53 of 66
    hi!

yes, i have the newest version of quicktime which is 7.0.3. i have tried converting the files, but they get converted the same way they play. in other words, if there's no sound when trying to play the file from quicktime, exporting the file to "ipod format" results in a file that has no audio as well. to answer ur question about audio codec, i'm not quite sure how to verify, all i know is that i can check some info in "show movie info" which tells me a bunch of stuff. i'm hoping that simply getting the audio to work won't be too difficult after i finally got the video to work! lol. i guess i'm only half way there. i used the codec from 3ivx which is wut i think let me finally see the video, now i just need audio, and then i'll be on my way to buying a brand spanken new ipod and maybe watching some family guy or simpsons. what the heck, i'll throw in a few movies while i'm at it for those longer trips :P thx guys

btw- dont forget im using windows xp!
  • Reply 54 of 66
    ah.. well this is where it gets tough. apparently with the 3ivx component handling the avi container decoding, it can't handle mp3 encoded audio that's muxed with the divx/xvid video all in that avi continer. that's the catch for quicktime7pro in windows - you need 3ivx to open those divx/xvid but then if the audio was in mp3 then 3ivx cant handle that too well. on mac os x quicktime7pro, divx.com 6 beta 1 or 2 can be used which handles those avi's with divx/xvid video and mp3 audio much better. hmmmm i am unable to assist further at this point \

ps. get one of those new imac g5s with your new ipod video.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    hi!

after all this research, i think i ended up finding something which might do the trick, i've tested it a few times and it seems to be ok: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000027063418/

wut i would like is for other people to try it as well to let me know if there's ne "catches" that i'm missing, if it works well, or if i hit the jackpot. hopefuuly i hit the jackpot! if other people can test this on windows xp as well and let me know their results that would be great. the next thing to conclude this research would be that whoever is gonna get a new ipod as of next week when it first comes out, to try this program out and let me know how it actually works on the real deal. unfortunately i won't be getting the new ipod for another month.

once again, i greatly appreciate the replies

--using windows xp
  • Reply 56 of 66
    great find. i tried it out. it's actually a frontend + mencoder application. not bad. my approach is to take the divx/xvid avi file, and then output again as avi, except choosing "copy" for the video part but "pcm s16le" for the audio part (making sure to specify 2 channels). this way, when i open the new avi in quicktime 6, it reads the video via 3ivx and the audio via the standard wav sound format reader. this way it's a quick and painless conversion from unreadable_by_quicktimewindows.avi to ready_to_rock.avi. ready_to_rock.avi, open in quicktime7.0.3.pro, then export "movie to ipod (320x240)". bingo bango should be sweet.

i am awaiting completion of that last part as it is encoding a simpsons episode and we'll see how the final file is. of course, the final final step is playback test on a new ipod video.

--edit: this is being done on winxp64
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Originally posted by danielctull

Also they have a new Beta2 of the codec out ....

Beta3 of Divx for 10.4 and QT7 is available here

http://download.divx.com/labs/DivXFusionBeta3.dmg
  • Reply 58 of 66
    sorry to be a burden, but i dont quite understand why you had to copy the file (i don't even know how thru xilisoft) and then change the audio. i mention this because when i used the program i chose "quicktime movie format" and changed the size to 320x240. when i played it in quicktime 7 pro and in itunes it seemed to work flawlessly, therefore i'm assuming there's no reason y it shouldn't work in the new ipod. would i be correct in assuming this?

-- 1 other thing.... after using xilisoft, is it necessary to convert it again using quicktime?
  • Reply 59 of 66
    well, in my opinion, i would still rather have quicktime7pro do the final "export to movie ipod (320x240)" step. various reasons.

1. high quality h.264 compression

2. container, video and sound format all comply with video for ipod specs, meaning:

3. 99.99% guarantee that the final .m4v will work seamlessly when played back on iPod video

(edit: here is the screenshot)

see the part where it says "video codec" type in "copy" manually. this way, the file that quicktime gets is an avi as well, with the video preserved from the original divx/xvid/mpeg2/whatever capture, and the audio is in sync with the video, converted out from mp3 to PCM(uncompressed)... so we are giving quicktime the best possible video and audio based on the content we have, to get a nice 320x240 "export to movie for ipod" final file.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    thank you very much sunilraman. you've been extremely helpful through all of this. i will try what u suggested and let u know the results that i get. thx