Powerbooks & New Displays, coming with Built in iSight?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
AppleInsider previously reported on an Apple patent for integrated isight into the lid hatch of a laptop computer. It's all making sense now... I bet on the 19'th we will see powerbooks with intergrated iSight, and a line of new Apple pro displays? with isights built in :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    you may be right, I hope it will only be an option though, many of us that use this patform work in places where cameras are prohibited....even if it is attached to a computer.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    you know I bet some people would really appreciate front row on a powerbook, it would be ultra cool when doing presentations like you see people doing in hotel lobby's etc, I just wonder how horse power dependent it is, that feature may only work well with a g5?

or maybe it is more on the video chip side? I don't know how

front row works yet.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    The problems with building-in iSight into new displays are the following:

1) Some people buy 2 or even 3 displays. Having 3 iSights makes no sense.

2) PC users buy Apple's LCD displays. Unless the iSight receives some major changes, most PC users won't be able to use the iSight since it's Firewire.

For these two reasons, I doubt we'll see an iSight built-into the displays

Of course, it would be really cool if Apple made LCD displays without them and LCD displays with them.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

2) PC users buy Apple's LCD displays. Unless the iSight receives some major changes, most PC users won't be able to use the iSight since it's Firewire.

Of course, it would be really cool if Apple made LCD displays without them and LCD displays with them.

...or a USB2 iSight and iChat for Windows. Another bridge to the windows world crossed.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

An issue with having an isight in a laptop is some work places dont allow cameras in for security purposes
  • Reply 6 of 17
    eminemin Posts: 45member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Peter North

An issue with having an isight in a laptop is some work places dont allow cameras in for security purposes

What percentage of PBs is likely to be used in such places? I don't think it is high enough to influence Apple's design decisions.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Emin

What percentage of PBs is likely to be used in such places? I don't think it is high enough to influence Apple's design decisions.

Every Nortel, Intel, IBM, etc campus is like this. I doubt that Apple wants to shut themselves out of the entire high-tech big business world.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    As long as Apple only is offering one line of screens and one line of powerbooks they will not gain camera. This is professional hardware. If you really want it you have the opportunity you always have had: The iSight camera.

Come on. It can´t be that hard to see why it shouldn´t be in their pro hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Every Nortel, Intel, IBM, etc campus is like this. I doubt that Apple wants to shut themselves out of the entire high-tech big business world.

Apple has already been shut out from this world...the consumer world is much bigger anyhow. But if Apple really wanted to market to everyone, they'd offer the option of having the iSight built-in or not.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7

you know I bet some people would really appreciate front row on a powerbook, it would be ultra cool when doing presentations like you see people doing in hotel lobby's etc, I just wonder how horse power dependent it is, that feature may only work well with a g5?

or maybe it is more on the video chip side? I don't know how

front row works yet.

Er, Front Row is just a fullscreen media player. There's nothing at all that's CPU intensive about it; if it can play the movie in question in Quicktime, it can play it in Front Row.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    The only thing causing me to believe the new powerbooks WOULD have built-in iSights, is that the new iMacs use their iSights as their infra-red input for the Front Row remote control.

And if the new Powerbooks aren't Front Row compatible, then Apple will have some 'splainin to do. =P

- Xidius
  • Reply 12 of 17
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Its getting even better

The PBs should have a build in iSight because of its secondary use as an IR receiver?

Apple should bundle Salling Clicker with each BP before they put toys in the screens.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'm looking at my PowerBook's display right now, and the thing is thin. I don't think they could fit a camera in there without some fancy engineerin' that I can't foresee. Could they stick one somewhere else? Again, I can't foresee what else they could do. No, I'd bet against iSight + PowerBook.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    This won't be an issue, first they wouldn't even realize, and second it will be covered in the latch and "turn-off-able". Don't worry Apple takes everything into consideration. I doubt any place this secure would even allow you to bring your own computer in, I mean after all you could copy files ! what about usb keys?

This isn't a concern.

Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

• Reply 15 of 17
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    did you see the picture apple insider, and engadget.com posted? it goes in the latch and has some cool swivling, it' looks really innovative.

Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I'm looking at my PowerBook's display right now, and the thing is thin. I don't think they could fit a camera in there without some fancy engineerin' that I can't foresee. Could they stick one somewhere else? Again, I can't foresee what else they could do. No, I'd bet against iSight + PowerBook.

• Reply 16 of 17
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

did you see the picture apple insider, and engadget.com posted? it goes in the latch and has some cool swivling, it' looks really innovative.

No I haven't. Can you post a link?